Forum Member

Question Leather Boots ...Yes or No?

Im planning on purchasing Leather boots for myself and was wondering if the they hold -up, are they comfortable and who are the main manufactures of these types of boots. I would also like to here the pros and cons of these boots.

MembersZone Subscriber

i am kinda new to leather boots. from what i hear they are quite comfortable. they are more expensive though.

District Chief

Black Diamonds

Very comfortable...less stress on you...less weight...

Go for it...you will not be sorry!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I love mine. yes they are expensive and yes like any boot will wear out, but the comfort level is well worth it. One of the only real problems are in hazmat(gotta lose the N5A to, DAMN) and in areas where you have water, w/the leather 14" bunker boots its only a drying issue, but w/8 or 10" interior boots you may get your feet wet from time to time but in my opinion BUY EM
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather Leather Leather Leather Leather

Hmm - did I mention Leather ??

Seriously though - I am a "budget minded" (interpet cheap) person myself and I will swear up and down that the leather is worth the extra cost.

Pay special attention to what shammrock54 said - I have a pair of 8" Black Diamonds that I have worn for a few years now and I'll never go back to rubber boots, but I think my next pair will be 14" Bunkers.

Also - w/ the 8" boot - my feet seldom get wet - but my pants/legs did because my bunkers would pull away from the low top boot leaving gaps.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Default Leather is the answer

Warrington Pro's are the best. Black Diamonds are good but a little $$$. Weinbrenner's are good and a great deal for around $175.00 for 10 in. zip-ups.

Just MY opinion !

Joe

Forum Member

leather is the only way to go!!!
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Leather boots

Got two pair issued in 1962--repaired heaps of times,waterproof for about 3hrs. They served me very well for nearly 20yrs and now reside in the garage--still used once a year as part uniform for my other persona--Father Christmas for the local Kindergarten kiddies. The powers that be decreed that in or around the early 70s we had to have the new issue "rubber boot with steel plate inserted in the sole" made by a firm called if my memory is right B.T.R--We quickly named them "Bleedin' Terrible Rubbish" one of the Senior officers had to be taken to the medics 'cos he wore them for a complete tour of duty at a large fire, needless to say leather came back!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather Boots

Leather boots are fine. Mine are Black Diamonds and very comfortable. The only problem I have had was the pull up straps kept breaking, but I fixed that by repairing them with an old leather belt that I pop-rivited onto them. Much stronger than the straps that came on them. The only thing to be careful of is if by chance you happen to be exposed at a HazMat incident (wearing only structural firefighting gear) and get product on the boots. The leather acts like a sponge and the boots would probably have to be discarded. Decon would not work on the boots or the leather on your structural FF gear, depending on the product you are exposed to. I still carry a pair of rubber bunker boots in my vehicle and keep a pair of rubber pull ups for cellar pump details.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Talking Go Leather!

Leather are alittle more costly, but they look ALOT better then rubber, and they are lighter on your feet as well if you carry your gear, they will save you some weight. Plus not every Department have them. Makes you look good, and fell all warm all over *Smiles*
    Doesn't matter what price they cost, all leather boots are pretty much the same, goto Gall's thats where the good stuff is.... alittle pricie with cerent things, but other wise it's a go.

ladys and Gentalmen take care and stay safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Forum Member

WE went to leather boots, i cant remember the manufactureer. They are lighter which is a plus the only negative is the soles freeze and they become ice skates. It can be interesting, alot of the truck guys wear rubber boats for that fact. Ice skating on peaked roofs is never fun. Other than that leathers are better than rubber boots by far.

Default Leather

I'd have to agrea with the others leather is more money but, they are well worth it. I've been wearing Leather boots for eleven years now and won't go back to rubber except for flooded basement details. I picked up a pair of LaCross Laether bunker boots at a Fire Expo last year. So far they have held up very well and are very comfortable. They require a little more care then the rubber ones but, they are well worth it.

Default Leather!

We are issued rubber unless we pay the difference for leather. They are alot more comfortable, and look alot better.

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

They say that leather are the best boots to have and I think I have to agree, I want to buy a pair but the money to purchase them are too hard to come by. They say that there are comdortable and keep a grip better and longer than the rubbers. Once you go leather you will never go back!
    Places that you can purchase those boots you talk about are places like: Galls.com, eDarley.com, CheifSupply.com, and firefighter.com. You can also look in the shop section of firehouse.com. I suggest you go to CheifSupply.com that is what I use whenever I need to purchases something.

Forum Member

I like the comfort and feel of my leather turnout boots. I believe they are the Warrington brand boots. Once you wear your leather boots you'd never want the rubber ones again.
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Clark W. Griswold School of Exterior Illumination

Default Leather all the way.

I have worn leather for approximately 6 years now. They are absolutely the most comfortable. Only problem I've had is with the toes wearing down to the steel after a lot of interior operations (crawling). Irregardless, I'd rather wear repaired leathers than new rubber. Working on my second pair currently.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had my leathers for about 6 months and I would never go back to rubber boots (cept for hazmat calls). They are way more comfortable than rubbers and like Dan posted, they make you look better. I'd only give 'em back if you pried them from my feet.
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

i have a pair of 8" rangers that i use for rescue and station boots and a pair of 14" warrington pro's. i love them, they are the best boots on the market. leather is much lighter and comfortable than the rubber boots. only time i will use rubber is for hazmat calls.

If god had wanted us to have plastic or fiberglass helmets, he would have made plastic or fiberglass cows.

Leather forever!!!

Yes

Post Leather boots.. Yes or No?

My opinion and opinion only:
    I've used rubber and leather. I started out 17 yrs ago with a pair of rubber boots. Make sure you wear socks!!!!! BLISTERS ARE TOUGH!!!!! I started a career in FF about 9 yrs ago with a pair of Warrington "Pros". Pretty good boot when new but after time passed the liner started to come out. The dept. then changed to the Firewalker. Pretty good boot also. But tough on the backs of teh ankles. Then we went to Black Diamonds. I thought they were the next best thing to sliced bread. Only problem: no toe re-enforcement. Gotta have re-enforced toes. Then we went to Thorogood. I've just received my second pair. Best boot I've ever worn. Wearss like a tennis shoe. By the way they are the zip-up type. I wear them for as long as 16-17 hrs at the time every third day. Very good boot. around $185. The place we get ours from guarantees delivery in two weeks. So far they've been on the money.

Opinion only!
    Buy Thorogood

Exclamation Leather!!!!!!!!

Gotta' be leather. We started out with Black Diamonds about 4 years ago - nice boot, a little heavy though. Then we switched to Warrington Pros, wicked comfortable, I wear mine all the time. The only problems I've encountered is a loss of traction on ice(but then unless you got spikes in your feet you're skating anyway!) and the zippers seem to go before the boot does, but replacement zippers are pretty cheap though. I'll never go back to rubber('cept for Hazmat)

Be safe,
    Eastside
    To those that have gone before us, you will not be forgotten!

Volunteers do it for free...

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept. doesn't issue them but lots of us buy our own. In order, I've had Pros, Rangers and now Thorgoods. Bought the first 2 pairs too tight and the liners came out. I would never wear anything but leather. The ankle support and weight of the leather are better than rubber. I saw a study once about the the effects on your heart and core temperature between the 2 styles and the leather blew rubber away. Your agility is increased considerably and when running stairwells your hip flexors don't have to pull up as heavy as a weight when wearing leathers.

Leather!

I have two pairs of Warrington Pro. One 8" zips for station and One Pair slip-on's for my bunker gear. I love 'em both. The Gore-Tex liner is great 'cause they WON'T LEAK!

1. Look for a boot the has an extra piece of leather or other durable material across the toe, they will last much longer.

2. Use saddle soap and good wax/polish on them every once in a while. You don't look so cool with shiny boots hanging out under your turnouts, but the boots will last far longer when you get the crap off them and the oils in them. Besides, as soon as you polish your boots, you're gonna get something good and messy anyway.

3. MY experience with Chippewa boots is that they crack after a year or so- no matter what you do. PERSONNALLY I wouldn't buy them.

Thread Information