Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default What is the best tool?

I am taking a rescue technician class and I was wonder when performing a rescue operation what is the best tool to carry in your bunker gear for every rescue operation use. I know that every operation is different but what is the best rescue to have?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

The best tool I've ever used (and I've used it on every rescue call I've been on, as well as some fires too!) you should carry in your helmet.

And that tool is....

...your brain.

You can have all the new gadgets and toys on the market, but if you don't apply your knowledge, they won't do you a bit of good.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Default WHAT IS THE BEST TOOL

RYAN, WITH NUMEROUS YEARS OF INSTRUCTING AUTO-X I HAVE ACCUMULATED A VARIETY OF TOLLS FOR THE JOB. DON'T LOAD YOUR TURN OUT GEAR DOWN. WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS TO AMASS THE GOODIES YOU WILL NEED IN ONE PLACE. I HAVE AN ELECTRICIANS POUCH ON A BELT THAT GETS STRAPPED ON FOR EXTRICATION. THAT WAY NO BULK IN THE COAT OR PANTS. INCLUDED ARE A COUPLE OF SCREW DRIVERS, A UTILITY KNIFE, ADJUSTABLE WRENCH, VALVE STEM REMOVAL TOOL, CABLE CUTTERS, A TAPE MEASURE, SPING LOADED CENTER PUNCH, SLIP JOIMT PLIERS, 5/16" RACHET FOR REMOVING SIDE MOUNTED BATTERY TERMINALS AND A PAIR OF DOUBLE PALMED LEATHER GLOVES. I SHOP AT WAL-MART, LOWES AND HOME DEPOT FOR ALL MY NECESSITIES. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH FOR THAT ONE TOOL YOU SEEK.
    BILL - MFRI FIELD INSTRUCTOR - CARROLL COUNTY MD.

Forum Member

I am proud to say that I can call Bill/Yoda a good friend. And trust me, he has all those tools and about 150 more. Lets just call him the extricators Tim Taylor.

I Like Yoda's idea, let me add a short section of rope or webbing too! It can help with tieing of doors or if you do a roof flap, great for control a door pop, a lot better and safer than your heiny (butting a door) also got to agree with the idea of using your brain. Procedures are good and have vital safety steps in them but don't get so focused on the step by steps that you miss objectives, keep looking for new and better ways to do things whilst always always always thinking about safety, Yours, Your Crew, Your Patients, and all those persons nearby
    Last edited by Carl Avery; 03-26-2002 at 08:08 AM.
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

MEDIC O372
    Firehouse.com Guest

Vice-grips and a screw driver.

Forum Member

Spring loaded center punch.T.C.

Forum Member

I can't believe someone has not been pounding the Bible with their Leatherman or some other quality multiple tool unit. I have found mine to be very handy as a "get things started" type tool while someone goes to get exactly what you need from the truck. More times than not, the Leaterman has the job done before the tool bag shows up.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 03-31-2002 at 02:52 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Ok, I don't know if these are the 'best' tools out there, but I thought they deserved mentioned since they are very good and fairly new on the market.
    I used to carry a Spyderco rescue knife clipped to my coat, but in an attempt to go lighter and replace multiple tools with one I bought one of the rescue knives available from Wehr Engineering, makers of the Glasmaster. I got the red handled PRT-II, a folding knife with both a straight and serrated edge. Its also got a 'replaceable' seatbelt cutter (utility razor) and hardened spike to break tempered glass. This knife has a very smooth action is and very well made. I almost don't want to use it now to keep it mint. You can check it out on their website www.glasmaster.com
    Someone also gave me a few of the Res-q-me key chain spring loaded center punch/seatbelt cutter tools. These are made by Task Force Tips ( makers of the Resqwrench) and are very compact. The punch is housed in a yellow body like an autoinjector and as you pull it from the holder attached to a split ring the razor edge is exposed to cut belts. A bunch of our guys like them a lot and have them attached to a hook on their bunker coats with the split ring.
    I gave up on the conventional spring loaded punches a few years ago after finding they tend to come apart riding around in your coat pocket. I give a big thumbs up to the PRT-II and the Resqme tool.

Glad to see someone mentioned a Knife! they are excellent tools and can really get you out of a pinch when you need it! the Wehr knives are amongst the best out there, and you pay for that quality as you do with any tool. If you can afford to go first class go, if you can't there are alternatives, Don't expect as much out of them but Do get and Carry a Knife with you. I will Step up and mention my Buddy Mike Schmidt's Rescue pouch, a pocket size pouch with lots od handy little do dad plus a GREAT Window Punch with a Lifetime Guarentee hope fully his Web sight is back up check it our at www.Zmagrescue.com, if you choose not to go Mike's route then check out Howellco (sp?) he has a pouch very similar to the one that Mike came out with
    Last edited by Carl Avery; 03-31-2002 at 02:31 PM.
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

I like the tool belt idea and we carry two on each of our rescue pumps. The brain is the one tool you must have every time, but obviously you want to know what to carry in your bunker gear.

I carry a Gerber Multiplier , a Cold Steel Rescue knife and a "Smith and Wesson" First Response Tool. I also have a length of rope with a loop in one end ( about 6 feet long and about a quarter of an inch thick).

The multiplier has wire cutters, pliers etc and the First Response Tool has a spring loaded punch in it that must be loaded and then "fired" and works really well on auto glass. The rescue knife is just a quick one handed opening knife when needed.

I have used them more times than I care to remember and have even used them at fires for a variety of reasons.

I would not go anywhere without these tools in my coat pocket.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Daryl Camp; 04-03-2002 at 07:00 AM.
    D. Camp

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry a res Q rench, 20ft of webbing, flaslight and a knife. The res Q rench has a window punch, seatbelt cutter, gas/O2 shut off, and winshield prier. This is just enough equipment to get things started till a truck gets there.

Thread Information