Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Good Thing Or Bad Thing???

Hey fellas (and ladies) -
    Me and the guys at the department have been having an ongoing discussion...and I would like to settle it once and for awhile. We are debating whether or not it is a good thing to be a tall firefighter, or if it is a disadvantage...I am 6'7, 240 lbs. Yes, 6 foot 7 inches. I personally think it is an advantage. What are your opinions????

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Do you stand up, or crawl when you go inside a fire building?
    Are bunker knickers all you can buy instead of bunker pants?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums. Like any firehouse, you'll probably find it difficult to get an opinion around here.
    Last edited by Steamer; 03-25-2002 at 11:11 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Hmm...Depends if you're the rescuer or the rescuee.....

Cool

Well, we have a guy that CLAIMS he can't do confined spaces because he's tall...

He is tall, and does have trouble with confined spaces, but I think it's just a convenient excuse for a combination of being tall, a bit wide, and having a hefty case of claustrophobia ...

It seems like it could be a draw between good and bad, depending on the situation.

I'm only 6'4". Only disadvantage to being "tall" is that you get used a lot for sprinkler stoppings since you have a better reach. Other than that, wear your helmet, you will bump your head more often.

I'm 6'4" also... and i have only found one disadvantage so far...In my dept we have some big boys...so when your riding in the back and trying to pack up with 3 other big boys its kinda hard....But i dont have that problem anymore because im an officer now.....

wear your helmet, you will bump your head more often.

Yes that is true....i wear a cairns New Yorker so with that bad boy on im like A LOT taller....so you have to duck a lot
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

I'm 6'2" and about 245lbs and the only two areas I have trouble w/ are basement fires(I too wear an N5A)and hitting my helmet/head. Other problems are from those tiny FF's that dont reset the SCBA straps and dont think to stock the XL medical gloves
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Cool A question of height

As a firefighter that has often had discussions on height,I felt like I should reply to this. I think height is essential to the job in one specific case and that is... gender. All of my shorty female co-workers will take offense to this, but I truly believe that as a woman it is a total advantage to be tall. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs and I feel as though I am totally blessed to have my height for this job. Not only for leverage reasons but just for strenght overall. I am the size of an above average man, now I know this doesn't make me as strong as a man but it does help me in alot of situations. Esspecailly when it comes to "acceptance", I find the guys dont razz me and I think that in a big part due to my size. Also I realize it has alot to do with attitude. I am no princess and dont expect to be treated like one. Well I hope I have gotten my point across. Before I close I do have to give props to the females on my team. We compete in the Combat Challenge and I am the only "big girl" on the team, and even so we kick a**,we got 3rd in the world and 2nd in the country last year. I have to imagine though if there were three of me what we would do. Thanks for reading my opinion. Stay safe!!

BIG IS GOOD.....................

Talking

Just my humble opinion.....

It depends. When I was a firefighter, (deputy chief now) a closet hook was almost useless for me, (5'7") in houses with 8'+ ceilings. fortunately, we had 6' poles too! But when it came to basements and attics, I could move through them with no trouble at all.
    Of course carrying a ladder with all you "big lugs" was easy on my shoulders!
    In all, I would have to say that a couple of both would be the best way to go!

I agree there is a need for both.Because I know I dont fit in alot of spaces that some of the smaller people do. It is still my opinion that when it comes to females height is an asset.

Hello to the new guy that started this post! Fellow Irishman here! 6'4 265 and the best way to sum it up is this.Giants are truckies and Midgets are engine guys(just kidding we all know midgets are ambulance drivers :P)Now that I have ******ed in EVERYONES Corn Flakes,I will agree with basements are too low and when doing a high shoulder ladder carry the shorties are just walking alongside steadying:P Be safe no matter what size shape or gender.

Default Re: A question of height

Before I close I do have to give props to the females on my team. We compete in the Combat Challenge and I am the only "big girl" on the team, and even so we kick a**,we got 3rd in the world and 2nd in the country last year. I have to imagine though if there were three of me what we would do. Thanks for reading my opinion. Stay safe!!

Maybe I am reading your quote wrong, but I have two "problems" with it. First of all, who is to say that you would have done better with more "big girls" on your team? Maybe you are the reason you guys did not take first. Sounds a bit egotistical to me.
    Second of all, I am 5'8" which is not short for a female, but it is not tall either. I do not get razed for it because I pull my weight and do not have a "princess" attitude. It does not matter the size, but the attitude.
    My bad if I misinterpreted what you wrote, but come on, your attitude seems not to be princessee, but self centered.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think any size is fine, as long as you are in proportiion - unfortunately I'm not (6 ft 3ins/157 lb - hence the nickname "Ethiopia"). The worst part is that I have arms like Inspector Gadget, except mine don't retract. Standing at attention my hands touch my knees, which means that my turnout coat is like a short sleeved shirt.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

I believe that my height is an advantage is certain situations...but a disadvantage in others. Like buying gear - I got lucky and can fit perfectly in a 36 inch inseam, so thats not too hard to get. Luckily i am perfectly proportioned...But - it was kind of tough getting hired on because of my size, which i believe is really unfair.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

I think it is not a bad thing nor a good one. I think being tall will contract you when performing confined space rescues and also being tall may render you when performing exteroir attacks, around here they tell you to have a back up man and I am sure that is the way it is everywhere else and if your are tall you are going to hold the hose and nozzle high and if you got a man/women at 5'7' then that will put strain on them and their efforts. But being tall will be good in some ways, your reach is longer, that comes in play when using a pike pole, ax, or some other tool.
    To tell you the truth a think you are in a pickle, they are both good and bad.

Hey Robert "Ryan"

So what is a "pround cadet"???????????

...inquiring minds want to know.

Being 6'1" 185, I must be perfect, not too tall, not too short.
    Brings back one of them "classic" country songs.

"Oh Lord, its hard to be humble
    when you're perfect in every way."

before I get flamed by the heighth, girth and perfect police, I am only kidding, i am far from perfect. If I was the perfect height, i'd be shorter like my favorite forum member.....

mongo, thats right you guessed it
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

I'm only 5'11".can't help you on this one..
    JMK271
    These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

Forum Member

I'm 6'5" & 225 Lbs. Being tall hasn't really bothered me too much. Only with bunker pants that are too short. We ordered "long" pants, but I don't know who decides what long is!! There are 3 other ff's on my dept. that are over 6'3", and only one of them has some problems with mobility. I guess we do what we have to do to get the job done. BTW, we have a rookie ff that is 5'4" and about 110 lbs. Haven't seen him on a hose yet, but I can't wait!!!

Just a quick question. Outta curiosity - What is your inseam on your bunker pants? I wear a 36 inseam on my janesville pants and they fit perfectly. I wear them like street pants, a little low, but I was really suprise how good they fit when I put them on.

Thread Information