Default Tradition, and the next big thing

I have been a firefighter for 7 years, 3 as a junior and 4 as a regular FF. During that time many things have changed, and many have stayed the same, some good, some bad, some pointless, some very relevant.

I have always thought that a strong base in the basics, engine work truck work etc. is the most important thing a firefighter should focus on. However, there are many new tasks that we have taken on in the years; EMS, prevention, so on, and there have been many great advancements in technology and tactics; thermal imagers, positive presure attack.

Now, my questions are:

what do you think will be the next big thing to help the fire service?

What do you think should change?

and what do you think should stay the same?

Lets keep it cival, we all have opinions. Thanks.

Hard to say. Improvements in accountability systems, lawsuits leading to stonger code enforcement, improvements in protective clothing...

Leadership.

And people in the fire service just because they need a job. I'd rather have someone there that wants to be there than someone that just wants to draw a paycheck.

The sense of duty and the brother/sisterhood we share.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

I toss my $.02 in mongo's camp...

Leadership.

And people in the fire service just because they need a
    job. I'd rather have someone there that wants to be there
    than someone that just wants to draw a paycheck.

The sense of duty and the brother/sisterhood we share.
    Well said.

(another topic I agree with mongo on... and I've even
    thought of Texas as a possible vacation destination...I'm
    starting to scare myself now! )

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll throw my .02 in w/ Mongo too, you said it all brother
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

I like Mongo but will share my independent observations

I believe that it is going to come in the area of "Personal Responsibility". Chief officers will be held to a more strict standard than before thus forcing them to make decisions based on safety and common sense, as opposed to bowing to the will of their masters, the managers.

Two things come to mind:

1. Listening to "Guru's"

2. The "Mission Statement" culture. While we have made progress we now have departments that are more worried about mission statements than they are actually doing the job. Firefighting is not a sterile profession. It is hard, dirty work. We cheat ourselves when we deceive the public into believing that the guy who has the best smile is they guy who needs to be Chief. We need people with leadership skills, not afraid to make tough decisions and stand by them.

Mongo's posts

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

PPE, PAS, RIT, I think that RIT which in place in some department needs the big shove to take place in the volunteer areas, I know some department don't practive although the NFPA says so.

PAS, all depts have PAS but it needs some work everyone should know where everyone is at.

Nothing should change, everything could use some improvement, if it saves lives then why not?

IACOJ Agitator

The next big thing...hmmm...tough to say...I'm sure the types of calls we are gonna get called to are going to increase.

It is like Bob Waters (from FEMA's Boston Region, former B/C in Providence, former Chief of some city in Mass) said, as new problems arise people will call the fire department because they know we'll figure out a way to deal with the problem.

I agree with Mongo on these two, but would like to add to the changes:

1) I would like to see the Mutts in Town Hall become "Fire Friendly".

2) The old, staunch, set-in-their-ways "leather buckets". The people who think "We've been doing it this way for the last million years and this is how it is going to stay". Just because something's been done for a long time, doesn't mean it is the best way.

3) Increased recognition for the need of training and education.

capfiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a staunch set in my ways (and "long in the tooth) leather bucket, I agree with ya!

Where on the CT River?

MembersZone Subscriber

The next thing you know they will make fire helmets out of plastic or fiberglass or some type of synthetic material. What's next.......green fire trucks? LOL

Forum Member

The next big thing.

I really really hope that its new extrication equipment and training. Every year car companies find new things to put in their vehicles. But the trainging and tools to respond to those new items seems to lag behind. I know that I hate cutting into new cars not knowing which of the dozen airbags I might hit. Ive got some ideas for some new stuff in this area just no funding to make it work.

As far as what needs to change I agree with the its been this way since cavemen made fire attitude needs to change. I work around a lot of guys that think that way and refuse to learn anything new or differant. The other HUGE change that needs to take place in rural america is get the beer out of the fire hall. This isnt the good old days we need to be proffesional at all times,

Forum Member

Alot of emphasis will be placed back on the "basics". With over 100+ LODD's, proper search techniques, learning to read smoke, and health incentives or requirements. Fat overweight firefighters just aren't cutting the mustard.

Hiring firefighters looking for pay checks. It shouldn't be about what the fire department can do for you, but what can you do for the fire department. You don't have to be blind to see what's going on in the public sector. They're cutting pensions, rising health care costs.

The fire department doesn't bring in ANY money to the city. They're are small ways that we can help save money though.

While change isn't always good, I think change keeps us on our toes. I think we should always find new challenges. Keeping things the same = complacency.

MembersZone Subscriber

Accountability systems will improve, but the biggest change I believe, will be more involvement in federal disasters. There are more of us than there are of them. We are always ready and with advanced training in specialized areas such as mine rescue and large-scale urban disasters, I think we will get the call more often.

1. Leadership. We need leaders that will fight for us when we need it. We need leaders that will stand tall and take care of business. We need leaders that will take pride in their chosen craft and will positively affect those around them.

2. Staffing. Our leaders need to fight hard for this. We all need more people and the calls are not going to go away. Our tax payers demand service when they call for it and we had better be ready to show up with the required manpower to provide that service. Our safety depends on it and our customers deserve it.

and what do you think should stay the same?[I]

The brotherhood. We need it and with the demands placed upon our everyday lives, some have come to depend on it when times get tough.

Thread Information