Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default Live fire training? What do your rules say?

I am a cadet from MD and we get to do live fire training. I think that it is a great idea, I am currently 16 and will be 17 in just a month so this way I will alreay have the training and ability to go in. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of this and if your state allows you to do live fire training?

Forum Member

We used to do them a frew years back, but the dafety officer has said no pretty much. Because during these trainings there is hardly ever a back up team and people are thinking that it is controlled. So now we smoke up the house with smoke machines, train, then we burn it and nobdy goes in. We just don't want to take any unnecessary steps for training. And nobody complains really about having to train with smoke machines.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

We also just smoke buildings. No live burns unless it's a burn building, or in a Firemanship class supervised by instructors.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me give my opinion on this one first. The only live fire training that should be allowed are those that are in buildings that are designed to be burned in. I honestly believe that any type of acquired structure live fire training should be banned. There have already been numerous deaths and/or severe injuries attributed to such fires: Lairdsville, NY, Medford, MI, Mesa, AZ, and the list can go on. Furthermore, in my opinion no junior ff, or cadet should be allowed to partake in any live fire training in an acquired structure, or in any "burn building" under that age of 17. As far as our dept., we are too urban to do live burns in acquired structures, our dept. still follows NFPA 1430 for the career staff and voluteers, when we conduct burns in our burn buildings, car fire training, even when we do extinguisher training in barrels. It all comes down to safety, and acquired structure live fire training doesn't have a very good track record.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Thread Information