Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default Responce time at night. What do you experience?

I was wondering, as I do a lot, what is the average responce time for the late night (12 a.m. to 6 a.m.), what is they responce time during the work day (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)? I was wondering becasue I small volunteer fire department it is hard to a get full crew on a engine on those hours, what do you experience?

Forum Member

Actual response times vary, but it is generally easier to get people out in the early morning hours, because in the day most of our members work out of our response area and can't leave work. Also, it is sometimes a problem getting out a second apparatus because of low manpower. We'll always have two FFs to make the first crew, then we'll have a guy sitting at the station until someone else comes and they can take a truck. There are lots of factors in our dept. that irritate this situation, but I don't have the patience to type em' all right now...If anyone has another question for me, just ask.

Forum Member

I think we are generally the oddballs here. Middle of the day, we usually get 2 trucks out with 5 guys each in about 5minutes. At night we are getting 4 trucks out. Of course, this all goes for "normal" calls, when it's a reported structure fire, 4 trucks 6 or 7 guys each within 5 minutes anytime. Yes, we are very thankful for our membership.

During the week we'll have 4-7 guys for a call during the day, and like anything more if its something big or interesting. On the weekends we usually get more guys. Late night for most medicals we'll have 3-4, but I've gone out alone before (we run a rescue w/and ambu coming from the next town over). To ensure response @nite we pay $45 a nite for an EMT to be on call from 9pm to 6am, you sign up, take a first in bag, defib, and portable. On the whole we do well for ourselves and have an average response time of 4 mins.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

I dont know actual times, but it is harder to find crews for calls during the day and at night.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Thread Information