Forum Member

Default New Military Fire Truck?

Anyone know anything about this beast? It's called the Tactical Firefighting Truck from Pierce/Oshkosh. I know the USMC won't be buying something this big. Is it for the Army?

I tried to attach a picture, but I couldn't get it. See it on piercemfg.com

The Tactical Fire Fighting Truck puts you in command.
    The TFFT combines the reliability of the Oshkosh HEMTT with Pierce firefighting expertise.
    Typical specificationsChassis· HEMTT M977 · Wheelbase: 210 inches (5.33 m) · GVWR: 62,000 lbs. (27,900 kg) · Engine: Detroit Diesel Model 8V92TA/445 – 450 hp (335.97 kw), 12.1 liter · Transmission: Allison HD 4560 · Transfer case: Oshkosh 5500 series · Front and rear axles: Standard HEMTT tandem axles · Tires: 16 x R20 XZL Michelin® with tubes (8 + 1 spare) · Electrical system: Standard 24 Volt HEMTT · Gradability: 60% @ maximum GVW · Maximum speed: 62 mph (100 kph) · Operating temperature: -40° F./+125° F. (-40° C./+51.6° C) · Fuel capacity: 155 gallons (587 liters) · Fording: 48 inches (121.92 cm) · Air transportability: C17

Forum Member

Cool

I don't know much about which branch is buying them, etc., but somebody is. I was just at the Pierce plant in Appleton last week doing an acceptance inspection on our new quad and I saw that there are there are a few on the line at different stages of assembly. I saw one that was well along the way up close. It's an interesting-looking rig. I don't know how much info I have that would be of use to you, but I can confirm that they are building some right now for a military contract. I believe our salesman said that they were for the Army, but I couldn't swear to the accuracy of this.

There are two of the Oshkosh/Pierce HEMETT Chassis Firetrucks currently at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland undergoing acceptance testing by the US Army's TACOM (Tank and Automotive Command) and ATC (Aberdeen Test Center) These vehicles were engineered to replace the Amertek MACI, which is currently being phased out of use by the US Govt. Look for more information in a future issue of Fire Apparatus Journal.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Now I am really confused. I have dealings with Detroit Diesel and understood that they have discontinued the 2 cycle engine years ago. Even before Roger Penske sold the company to Damiler-Benz I will check with them on Monday.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

The bulk of the United States Military vehicular fleet utilizes the 2-cycle "92" Series DDEC motor. Therefore, DD/A still produces them in limited numbers, however, they will be discontinued as of next year when the new pollution laws come out. Additionally, as a cost-saving measure, a bulk of the new HEMMET chassis TFFT's will be built on chassis that have been factory-refurbished by Oshkosh. One of the two units currently at Aberdeen Proving Ground is on a 1996 chassis which was rebuilt from the frame on up.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Thank you. That clears that up.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Thread Information