Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default Vehicle Fire Training

Alrighty then. My next training lesson will be on vehicle fires. I am in the process of securing a location and a vehicle to train on. At this time we are not doing a live burn, just going to practice pulling lines, applying water and a little practice on forceable entry on the hood, trunk and doors. I will be going over dangers of materials burning and the like. Any ideas would be appeciated on how to make this a lesson to be remembered. Also extensive clean up will follow the lesson.

Thanks in advance.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Vehicle fires always pose interesting problems. The first thing you should address about the hazards of the burning materials is all the junk that is given off in the smoke of a car fire. Specifically all the plastic, foam, rubber and other synthetic products that are burning (i.e. SCBA!!) Also you might want to point out that people transport many different types of things in their vehicles especially in the trunk. Often, you can find different fluids for the car such as coolant, oil, tranny fluid and the likes. Good luck and be safe!

Don't forget to teach them the proper points to access the vehicle and the dangers of explosions from shocks, drive lines, BUMPER SHOCKS (they have been known to take off the bumper and responders legs). Electrical fuel pumps continue to work with the key "on" even though the engine has stopped. Several automotive parts contain magnesium on some vehicles. Positioning of apparatus is also key. We had a pickup on fire pulling a trailer, stopped on a hill. We used our truck chocks on the pickup but it still slid downhill (it was in park). It's a strange experince to drag the line and chase a burning vehicle. The laws of physics apply to all fire calls. Car fires are common but all pose some variation, such as the fire that shorts out the electrical system and starts the car while your trying to put it out.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

I like to consider that a vehicle fire may also have a rescue component. Without clear indication that everyone is out of the vehicle, one of the 1st things to do is a quick sweep of the interior to assure nobody is still inside (of course, full PPE and SCBA). I worked for a department that "found" a person in the vehicle after the smoke cleared. I have heard of others who have experienced the same. So, you may consider that as a a reminder, if not for anything else, when doing your lesson.

Try using smoke bombs as a visual aid and if you simulate an engine compartment fire try putting an empty package in the car with some type of hazmat sticker on it (explosive,poision)to see if anyone picks it up in thier sizeup
    AJM108
    Captain Ridge Fire Dept.
    Company One

Thread Information