A single car mva with fire and entrapment tested the skills of firefighters from Marlborough and Hudson along with EMS personnel from AMR.

At 17:20, the Marlborough Public Safety Dispatch Center (Fire Alarm and Police Control) recieved multiple 911 calls reporting a motor vehicle accident with fire on Hemenway Street Extension. Hemenway Street extension is a narrow road that becomes Parmenter Road once it crosses the Hudson town line. Marlborough Engine 3 and Rescue 1 were first due. Fire Alarm Operator Fran Harrington called the Hudson FD over the radio to respond mutual aid.

Engine 3, commanded By Lt. Steve Krysa reported a single car MVA with fire and entrapment and requested a second Engine (Marlborough Engine 1), a second Rescue (Hudson Rescue 1) and multiple ambulances to the scene. Due to the severity of the accident and a prolonged extrication time, New England LifeFlight was requested to be dispatched to the scene. LifeFlight was committed to another mission, Boston Med Flight was dispatched and requested to land at the nearest LZ, in the town of Hudson. Lt. Krysa requested an ER physician from Marlborough Hospital to the scene (LifeFlight's crew includes a pilot, flight nurse and a physican for the nature of the call. Boston MedFlight flies with a pilot, flight nurse and paramedic. Because LifeFlight was unavailable, the call was made)

There was an intial attempt by a resident to extinguish the fire, as there was a couple of expended 5 pound dry chem extinguishers on the ground near the vehicle. An attack line was pulled and kept the fire out of the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The fire was extinguished, then rescue operations began.

There were originally three passengers in the vehicle. Two of them were out of the car on arrival. One of them had apparently walked across the road and collapsed on a the lawn of a residence. The other was "walking wounded". The passenger who was on the lawn complained of severe back and neck pain. C-spine precautions were taken, O2 was administered, a cervical collar was applied and then the patient was log rolled onto a long board. He was transported to Marlborough Hospital for stabilization and evaluation. That passenger was still being assessed at the time of this post, and will probably be flown to UMass Medical Center in Worcester. The third passenger was also transported to Marlborough Hospital for evaluation.

The driver of the car was severely entrapped. His lower extremities were crushed under the dashboard and steering wheel, and he had suffered smoke inhalation from the fire. Paramedics and firefighters immediately took C-spine precautions, started IV lines and administered high flow O2 to the patient while the firefighters of Marlborough Engine 3, Hudson Engine 5, Marlborough Rescue 1 and Hudson Rescue 1 began extrication operations. At one point, 4 sets of extrication tools were in use to remove the roof, pull the dash and ram the driver's door open to get the patient out of the car. After 55 minutes, the driver was finally freed from the wreckage of what was left of his Ford Probe. It appeared that he had multiple injuries, including multiple fractures of the lower extremities as well as a possible fractured pelvis. He was flown out to one of the Trauma Centers in Boston.

The Massachusetts State Police Accident Reconstruction Team, the Marlborough Police ART and Marlborough Engine 3 were still at the scene at the time of this posting.