We have an AED on our rescue which goes on almost every call we run it is first out on all medical/MVA calls and runs as 3rd out on all fires as a troup transport our EMS is supllied by JCEMS they do a great job of running stand by on all of our big wild land fires and structure fires. all of our trucks are BLS.
    Jesse

Truckie

Thumbs up

In St Paul, all of the engines, trucks, and squads have AED's along with a basic medical bag. If an areas medic rig is out, this allows for engines/trucks to go as first reponder while waiting for the out of area medic rig.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

yes, definately a good idea. we have one on the ladder, one on the rescue, and one on the two engines. think of it this way, if your dept. thinks they cost too much, don't think of civilian lives, think of your own. even if you never use them, you can't regret getting them. Stay safe.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs up

We have AED's on our EMS squad and our new engine. The engine acts as the back up rescue when the squad is out. I agree that we should have these on all of our fire apparatus so we can further protect our own.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Right now my dept only has 3 AEDs between two stations, each on our medical response trucks. One station has it on the Combonation and my station has ours on the Rescue, w/one for the EMT on call @ nite to take w/him along with first in bag and portable. While it would be nice to have one on all our trucks we really dont need to, with first in bags on every truck, and it being a rare event that one of those trucks is not on scene for a call. But it is a good idea and if your budget lets you its probably worth it.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

IACOJ Agitator

Right now, we only have 1 AED on our Rescue. All police cruisers in town have them. We are going to be getting a second one that is going to be on our new engine that is arriving in the summer.

Very good point Adze, my town and most around my area have their crusiers outfitted w/ AEDs and first in bags, so if you need another AED its either have the cop on scene get theirs or have one brought to you, its not as good as having more of your own but works well enough. Plus its always nice to arrive at a code and have the PD already working the pt w/CPR and AED.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

Default Malhat and Co11Fire

Have you all checked for grants to obtain one. I know the State Of Illinois usually gives either grants for AEDs or the actualy defibs every year. Also my EMS system also has worked it's tail off to provide them to all services in the area. It might be worth checking out if you can't get the fudning for them. They are getting into the mainstream so much that nearly all people know the principle behind them and if you can tell the people you serve that you can't afford them then that might (excuse the expression) light a fire and get some donations for one. My factory (full-time job) was able to purchase a reconditioned LP300 for around $3000. Not too much to spend if it saves a life, in my opinion.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

The Volunteer department I'm on does carry an AED on one of our trucks, due to the fact we respond to med calls and as first responders. It's a good idea for departments to have them although ours should be going on a rescue truck soon.

We carry an AED on every peice of apparatus. Since we are capable of running every truck as a first responder, it works out pretty good. There is no medic truck in our house, because the county has their own medics. We only run on ALS runs.
    God bless our brothers
    let their deaths not be in vain
    9-11-01

Faithful Member : IACOJ!!

AEDs are located on the Service (First Responder/Mini pumper), Rescue, 2 Ambulances, and three old ones have been redeployed to officer's POVs until such time the AEDs finally die (can't get them repaired anymore!)

Very seldom would we see a situation where our Engines or Ladder roles to a call without either the Service or Rescue going with them.

One thing I like is our Service truck which handles forestry work is also AED & Epi-Pen equipped. I'm not too concerned about the other trucks since they stay more or less on road and have good access to the Rescue and ambulances at the scene of a fire if an AED is needed. But you get these forestry trucks out in deep in the woods, if you don't have the equipment with you, it ain't gonna be pretty.

All our apparatus do carry a trauma/02 bag however.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    All our apparatus do carry a trauma/02 bag however.
    Same here.

One thing I should add in is that the big reason the new rig is getting an AED is because it is replacing our current mutual aid piece. So the new rig is designed to handle almost any emergency that is thrown at it. You could designate it as a rescue-pumper. It's going to have the same medical supplies our rescue has.

Default aed

we crry an aed on our rescue which goes to every call/its a great idea to have at least one aed on the fire ground somewhere or even in the firehouse. you never know. check with the local hosp. or some corporations have programs for aed's.
    art

Default AED as part of RIT(?)

After reading through all of the responses, I guess our department is fortunate that all 14 engines and 2 heavy squads are fully ALS equipped and the 7 ladders are all BLS/AED equipped (we also run 10 ALS ambulances). Good luck to all of you trying to get the equipment or trying to convince "the management" that it is a good investment.

Let me expand on the point and give you something to think about. How many of you consider having an AED or EKG/defibrillator identified and staged as part of the RIT team? Is it not just as important to identify the resuscitation equipment as it is to identify the RIT water supply or RIT tools? Do 50% of our line of duty deaths result from cardiovascular incidents?

While teaching the MAYDAY! Firefigher Down program (both instructor and provider courses), I have been encouraging the new instructors and "providers" to keep in mind that not all firefighters needing "rescued" on the scene will be in the structure. Firefighters die outside the building from many things (collapse, struck by objects, CARDIAC events, and I could go on). The benefits of early defibrillation cannot be underestimated.

The next time you go after funding for an AED (for those having to battle), maybe you can pitch it as a firefighter life-safety tool and investment! Remember, the number 1 customers are you and I!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Sounds like a good idea for an engine to carry an AEDwe started doing it 15 years ago. It is good to be early on the curve.
    Last edited by quintladder; 04-09-2002 at 04:01 PM.

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up DeFibs

I am not aware of any NJ Forest Fire units that are carrying A.E.D on the engines. To my knowledge, it has never been a consideration, as our type 7 engines are very restrictive on space. Considering some of the remote areas that we cover and the time it would take to get an ALS or BLS unit to the scene, the presence of a DeFib unit might be the difference between life and death.

The quickest method of getting an A.E.D. to the scene would most likely be NorthSTAR, Northern Shock Trauma Air Rescue....our NJ MedEvac units. This would all depend on finding a suitable LZ near the scene. On extended fireground operations, which may involve days, rather than hours...it is difficult to have a BLS unit standing by for that length of time.

Excellent post everyone! You've raised some good points and I plan to inquire what possibilities exist within our agency, in regards to A.E.D. units.

Thanks to all!

Be Safe!

Forum Member

All seven(7) engine companies, three(3) ladder companies and both Battalions carry defibs. They do make a difference.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

While teaching the MAYDAY! Firefigher Down program (both instructor and provider courses), I have been encouraging the new instructors and "providers" to keep in mind that not all firefighters needing "rescued" on the scene will be in the structure. Firefighters die outside the building from many things (collapse, struck by objects, CARDIAC events, and I could go on). The benefits of early defibrillation cannot be underestimated.
    An excellent way to teach. You also bring up another angle for funding. Of course some politico's would still be against it, but with the statistics of firefighters developing CVD and having heart attacks on the scene, as well as at the station, it is an interesting way to approach the problem. I have to admit I know squat about AED's but for those who seek firefighter funding, it is another tool to use. Thanks Fireman077

Sr. Information Officer

Question Re: Station7Cadet

I noticed that Station7Cadet, who initiated this thread, is designated as "no longer active"....Has he been removed, resigned, or what?

Forum Member

We have two available for our use now, and are waiting for a third to be authorized. We haven't been using them for 25 years like the super hero up there (he must be a super hero since AED's have only been used by firemen for 16 years). But, it's a start.

Stay Safe

Being AED ignorant, what is an average price for one? When I left the job we didn't have them yet. Of course that wasn't 25 years ago

It would seem that they are becoming more commonplace as airports, etc now have them. If it were required equipment I suppose that would be different. Everyone would have one. How long was the average training class on the use of it?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

My mistake Defibs 1974 and AEDS 1988. Yeah, been a while good to see it is still a new thing, LOL!

my AED training was included in my AHA Healthcare Provider CPR course, it can range anywhere from half an hour to a few hours

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up The Value of AED's

Excerpt from Withthecommand.com

Firefighters revive cardiac patient

AED Use Saves Metro Employee
    by Alan Etter
    (Washington) – DC firefighters are credited with the resuscitation of a 62-year-old man who suffered cardiac arrest outside Metro headquarters.

Just after 1:00 p.m., the man left the Jackson-Graham building, complaining of chest pains. He was on his way to see his doctor when he collapsed in the courtyard of Metro headquarters at 5th & F Sts., NW. The man was unconscious and unresponsive with no pulse or respiration.

A passerby, Art Gillings, who happens to be a paramedic in Calvert County, Maryland, immediately began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while other citizens hurried across the street to Engine Company 2 to summon help. Firefighters on Rescue Squad 1 responded with an automatic external defibrillator (AED), an electronic device designed to “shock” an ailing heart back into a normal rhythm.

As Sgt. Bernard Holt began chest compressions on the victim, Firefighters Gary Morton and DJ Mills took over rescue breathing while Firefighter Chris Holmes secured the AED to the man’s body. After administering two shocks, the man’s heart began beating and normal respiration returned. The man regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to a local hospital for treatment.

“Here we see the true life-saving value of AEDs,” said DC Fire/EMS Chief Ronnie Few. “Clearly, this man would have died without the fast work of our firefighters and the use of the AED. Having these machines more widely available would result in more lives being saved in our city.”

Thread Information