Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up DeFibs

I am not aware of any NJ Forest Fire units that are carrying A.E.D on the engines. To my knowledge, it has never been a consideration, as our type 7 engines are very restrictive on space. Considering some of the remote areas that we cover and the time it would take to get an ALS or BLS unit to the scene, the presence of a DeFib unit might be the difference between life and death.

The quickest method of getting an A.E.D. to the scene would most likely be NorthSTAR, Northern Shock Trauma Air Rescue....our NJ MedEvac units. This would all depend on finding a suitable LZ near the scene. On extended fireground operations, which may involve days, rather than hours...it is difficult to have a BLS unit standing by for that length of time.

Excellent post everyone! You've raised some good points and I plan to inquire what possibilities exist within our agency, in regards to A.E.D. units.

Thanks to all!

Be Safe!

Forum Member

All seven(7) engine companies, three(3) ladder companies and both Battalions carry defibs. They do make a difference.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

While teaching the MAYDAY! Firefigher Down program (both instructor and provider courses), I have been encouraging the new instructors and "providers" to keep in mind that not all firefighters needing "rescued" on the scene will be in the structure. Firefighters die outside the building from many things (collapse, struck by objects, CARDIAC events, and I could go on). The benefits of early defibrillation cannot be underestimated.
    An excellent way to teach. You also bring up another angle for funding. Of course some politico's would still be against it, but with the statistics of firefighters developing CVD and having heart attacks on the scene, as well as at the station, it is an interesting way to approach the problem. I have to admit I know squat about AED's but for those who seek firefighter funding, it is another tool to use. Thanks Fireman077

Question Re: Station7Cadet

I noticed that Station7Cadet, who initiated this thread, is designated as "no longer active"....Has he been removed, resigned, or what?

We have two available for our use now, and are waiting for a third to be authorized. We haven't been using them for 25 years like the super hero up there (he must be a super hero since AED's have only been used by firemen for 16 years). But, it's a start.

Stay Safe

Being AED ignorant, what is an average price for one? When I left the job we didn't have them yet. Of course that wasn't 25 years ago

It would seem that they are becoming more commonplace as airports, etc now have them. If it were required equipment I suppose that would be different. Everyone would have one. How long was the average training class on the use of it?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

My mistake Defibs 1974 and AEDS 1988. Yeah, been a while good to see it is still a new thing, LOL!

my AED training was included in my AHA Healthcare Provider CPR course, it can range anywhere from half an hour to a few hours
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

Thumbs up The Value of AED's

Excerpt from Withthecommand.com

Firefighters revive cardiac patient

AED Use Saves Metro Employee
    by Alan Etter
    (Washington) – DC firefighters are credited with the resuscitation of a 62-year-old man who suffered cardiac arrest outside Metro headquarters.

Just after 1:00 p.m., the man left the Jackson-Graham building, complaining of chest pains. He was on his way to see his doctor when he collapsed in the courtyard of Metro headquarters at 5th & F Sts., NW. The man was unconscious and unresponsive with no pulse or respiration.

A passerby, Art Gillings, who happens to be a paramedic in Calvert County, Maryland, immediately began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation while other citizens hurried across the street to Engine Company 2 to summon help. Firefighters on Rescue Squad 1 responded with an automatic external defibrillator (AED), an electronic device designed to “shock” an ailing heart back into a normal rhythm.

As Sgt. Bernard Holt began chest compressions on the victim, Firefighters Gary Morton and DJ Mills took over rescue breathing while Firefighter Chris Holmes secured the AED to the man’s body. After administering two shocks, the man’s heart began beating and normal respiration returned. The man regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to a local hospital for treatment.

“Here we see the true life-saving value of AEDs,” said DC Fire/EMS Chief Ronnie Few. “Clearly, this man would have died without the fast work of our firefighters and the use of the AED. Having these machines more widely available would result in more lives being saved in our city.”

Thread Information