Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default A.E.D. on the engines?

I was wondering, does anyone in here carry a A.E.D. on the engines? Recently in a city about 10 miles away from where I live they had a house fire, which turned out to be an oven fire and when everything was under control one of their line officers just went down. They used an A.E.D. (Defeb.) to get him back. Thankfully he came back and he is still in the hospital. That incident raises a good question, does anyone in the forums carry an AED on any of their engines? I think that it is a good idea considering what happened in Salisbury. The cadets in my department are thinking about buying one to put on one of our engines for that very reason. So what do you guys do?

The collapse from SalisburyFire.Org:
    March 16th- At approximately 1800 hours Station 16 was alerted for an Apartment Fire on Winder Street. With Truck 16 being out of service Truck 2 was automatically dispatched on the call. E16 arrived on the scene and 16B (Pusey) established Command. Initial crews handled a small kitchen fire. After directing Truck 2's crew, Assistant Chief Pusey collapsed on the scene. Paramedics and Firefighters from units on the scene immediately began CPR and after one defibrillation revived Pusey. He was transported to PRMC and will undergo surgery in a few days.
    Last edited by Station7Cadet; 03-31-2002 at 12:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Some of the vol fire depts around here have them, and all of the paid depts do carry them on their engines or quints or rescue vehicles. We are in the process of getting a grant to buy one since there isn't one readily available in our portion of the county.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

H@ll we can't even get line and equipment let alone an AED.

Two of our three engines are AED-equipped. One of these is fully ALS-equipped, and the other is BLS-equipped. Thankfully we've never had to use an AED on one of our own, but we do run EMS first response with an engine, so they have gotten used that way.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Almost all of the engines around Wilmington (where I work) have AED's. And almost all of the ones around Fayetteville where I live have them.
    Jim Edge, Paramedic/Firefighter
    Wilmington NC
    jedge168@excite.com
    In Memory and Honor of FDNY, NYPD, and NYC EMS 9/11/01

Forum Member

All of our front line pumpers carry AED's, because of the number of EMS calls that we respond to. If the ambulance is busy and can't respond to the address before us, we have the stuff to take care of the patient til they get there.

Cheers

Forum Member

All of our first line apparatus have AED's, so do the police cruisers.

FDlt1951..I feel for you...if one of our own goes down on the fireground, we should be able to defibrillate right away and try to save the lives of our Brothers and Sisters...some politicians just don't get it....

Maybe the best way to get AED's on ALL fire apparatus is to make it a part of the NFPA and ISO standards!!!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-31-2002 at 11:55 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We carry an AED on our first out engine. If our ambulance is on a call or coming from outside the district our engine runs as a first responder, and we are also prepared if there is a chance on needing it on a fire call. Good Luck trying to get one at your dept.

We carry AED's on both of our engines. They run medical calls when the ambulance is out, so it helps.

Megan

MembersZone Subscriber

H@ll we can't even get line and equipment let alone an AED.
    Sounds like an issue for your local to take up. In this day and age, with as much research as has been done on the efficacy of early defibrillation, it borders on negligence to operate an emergency response vehicle with trained emergency medical personnel without an AED. Every frontline response vehicle at my department - engines, ladders, rescue, tacs - has an AED.

The only piece of equipment I would put ahead of your AED purchases would be a TIC. If your department doesn't have an imager, please, for your OWN sake, make sure they get one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AED's

Our main Engine, Rescue Truck and First Responder truck all carry AED's.... Better safe than sorry!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Forum Member

Pyroknight,

All 6 rescue squads have TIC's. They were donated to us from Ford Motor Company. WQe have gone to court on numerous occasions about these issues. The unfortunate thing is that the courts have stated the city has the right to run the department as it sees fit. They called it management rights ( how about that huh).

Gonzo,

You are so right, they don't get it. Hopefully our new Mayor will help bring this department to the levels we need. He seems to be genuine in his concern for the Fire Department. We'll wait and see.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 03-31-2002 at 06:14 PM.

Forum Member

Our FD has 12 AED's. 3 in the stations, 1 in each of the 3 engines, the ladder, the squad, the EMS veh., and 1 in each of 3 chiefs cars. All bought with the help of grant money.

All of our first out engines and all four of our ambulances carry AED's

Forum Member

All Worcester engines, ladders, and the rescue carry AEDs, not sure about the chief's buggies. Providence apparatus carry them too, not sure about numbers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Our district is on the small size for needing an AED, however one of our mutal aid depts down the road carries one. They are about 15 or 20 min response time, but even that is better than not at all. We have looked into getting one for ourselves, but we don't really have the "customer" base to warrant one - yet.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

customer base? er...If you have human beings living in your town, then you warrant it...Especially if the nearest BLS besides CPR is over 10 minutes away..

We dont have any A.E.D.s on our trucks, but we have 4-5 of them on the first aid squad, which roll to almost every fire call anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sorry about that SFDAJL, no insult to the public was meant, only that our call volume for CPR type FR is/has been maybe an average of 1 per year. Also, BLS/ALS services are only about 10min away and often there is one in transit between cities and all too often they beat us to scene even with a 6 min tone to scene arrival time. What I really meant was that our population base is only about 350 and an AED is a pretty big expense for a small vol hall to make. We have looked into the possibility of getting one, and as with all good things, there is a time when we may get one. But thanks for pointing out a flaw in my statement.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

We wish...A couple of months ago while doing re-certification in first aid and CPR, we went ahead and took an AED class, but funding is an issue at this time, so no AED yet.

Gonzo, well put there! Our rescue engine is fully equipped with ALS gear and AED. We utilize it when our squad is on a call, or when we only have first responders reporting for EMS calls. Our police department has implemented a first responder program also, and they carry the same type of AED and EMS gear.
    For those that can not seem to afford it at the moment I can feel for you. We have been lucky to have EMS grants available for our department in Ohio as well as for the Police side also.
    The answer though for us to save lives in early CPR and AED intervention.We hope within the year to have them placed in the schools, and the industries within our area.
    These are awesome tools to have if you can get one.

Keep doing it for the right reasons!!!!

District Chief

Ok...a responsible question here...so I will answer.

We (my volunteer department) carries them on the pumper as well as a small squad that runs EMS.

My old volunteer department in Virginia had one and carried it in the Response vehicle.

My girlfriends department runs paramedic Engines so they have the whole shooting match of "stuff" but carry the AED on the Aerial since it has no medics on it normally..just EMT's
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

We have been carrying AEDs on the engines and heavy rescues for about 6 yrs now. The Township has recently placed a boatload of them in all the municipal buildings and some police cars as well.

We now have them on our engs.and truck. It was a battle with the politicians. We tried for 2 years, with the mayor stating that she "did not want those things(aeds) in her city".The city went so far as stating that if the aeds were donated by a civic organization, they could not be used on fire scenes and we could not train with the aeds on duty.Well the mayor is gone, we now have the aeds. and we are trained and ready to use if needed.Sometimes you have to wonder what planet the politicians are from.

Forum Member

We do not carry them on our trucks. Our First Aid carries them in each ambulance (which respond to most calls) and they are also in most of our PD cars, which respond to every call. The only time we are without one is when we go out of town for drills. Our other company in town has decided to get on and place it on their first due engine.

Forum Member

All of the apparatus in our department are EMS first responder licensed and carry AED's. We own 50 lifepak 12's and every member have had complete training in using them. All companies have used the AED's on patients some with sucess and some not. They are one of the best things to have in your EMS tool box.

Stay Safe - Stay Well

He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery.

Thread Information