Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Presumptive Illnesses

How many of you have Presumptive Illness bills in your city/state?

Do they cover; Lung, Heart, Cancer, TB, HIV, Hep A,B or C...etc?

Are you covered under these bills while still employed or do they kick in upon retirement or death?
    Last edited by E229Lt; 03-31-2002 at 11:34 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber TruckSkipper's Avatar

In New Jersey the volunteer fireman have it, but they figure it would be too expensive for the professional firemen to have it, so we don't.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

Thumbs down

In KY we currently do not have any state law that covers any illness as a presumption. The state legislation is in session now and that is one of the things our state professional firefighters association is trying to get passed through. We unfortunately have met a lot of resistance from some politicians so i dont know if it will pass through this time.

Massachusetts has comprehensive presumptive laws for illnesses that occur to public safety personnel as a result of them performing in the line of duty.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Our state legislature (WA) just passed a presumptive bill and sent it on for the Governor's signature, it covers heart ( for 72 hours after a fire, if you have cardiac symptoms, it's presumptive) I don't believe cardiac disease is covered (yet), some infectious diseases (aids, hepatitis, TB and meningitis), and certain cancers ( but only for those with >10 years on job, and a pre-employment exam showing you to be cancer-free...which excludes almost all current firefighters if interpreted in its strictest form...that isn't a currently included exam!) they also included wording that anyone who is a regular tobacco user (defined as anyone with a HISTORY of tobacco use!)is excluded from coverage. The opposition (on $$$ grounds almost every time...) did a great job of watering this down from the original version, but it's a start. It covers all active duty paid firefighters currently working, and covers you for a period after retirement (not sure how long yet, just started reading the final version). It's not the best bill out there, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we had before (nothing), and we'll be working to strengthen it every year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Truck Skipper
    In New Jersey the volunteer fireman have it, but they figure it would be too expensive for the professional firemen to have it, so we don't.

Like that's not backwards.....
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

For professional firefighters in Illinois with at least 5 years of service, th epresumptive illnesses at this time are heart disease,stroke,T.B. any lung or respiratory tract disease and cancers that can proven to be caused by exposure to fire products. I am unsure if AIDS or Hepatitis will be included.

Okay, I see some presumptive bills are out there but my real question, I guess, is; if you have presuptive coverage does it kick in when you become ill, or after the illness forces you to retire with a disability, or worse, if you die?

EXAMPLE:

You are diagnosed with a form of cancer which is covered by your presumptive bill. You are placed on medical leave. Are you now considered a Line of Duty illness and covered under workman's comp or are you left to fend for yourself?

At this time, there is a department which does not recognize these presumptive illnesses until your retire or die. For as long as you are active, you remain on medical leave, but it is not line of duty. The reason is, these bills are state bills and not local. they are written to cover you under pension law but not workmans comp law. Is this normal or unique?

To the best of my knowledge (legalese), when you are unable to perform the duties of a firefighter in Illinois as a result of a presumptive illness you go on a duty-disability which is 66 2/3% of your salary.

Lt, our state has a Dept. of Labor + Industry (instead of OSHA), and they cover all costs for medical coverage for on-the-job or presumptive conditions, from the time of injury or diagnosis, and pay 60% of your normal salary (or buy-back 2/3 of your sick leave for you...your option) until you return to duty or are declared disabled.
    As for after that, I'm still trying to get more info...

I should edit this and add that there are still some "older" firefighters still under the old pension system that are covered exactly the same for on or off-the-job injury or illness, (up to 6 months fully paid disability leave, full medical) then are retired on 60% pay and lifetime medical coverage if unable to return. (You can probably figure out why this is the "old" pension system )
    Last edited by DKelly; 04-01-2002 at 02:10 PM.

Thread Information