Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Rollup doors vs. Conventional doors

My dept. is looking into getting a new apparatus in the near future and I have heard mixed reviews about Rollup doors or Conventional swing open doors. What do you use or prefer? What is your feeling on slide out trays? Combine them so you have straight slide out trays and tilt down, what do you think?

Default doors????

pjt310,

We just ordered an E-One. We looked at the door issue in depth, and we decided to go with the conventional doors for one simple reason we didn't lose any open door space with them and would have lost about 6" with the roll ups. However the decision is entirely up to what serves your dept. the best.
    I really like the roll out trays but we had to ax them due to the budget. How you install them again is what serves your dept best.
    Bill Grant
    Asst. Chief
    HVFD

My career dept has roll up doors. They are nice when they are new but as they get older they are not as nice. Dirt tends to get into the tracks that they run on. Also if you have a compartment. that has a shelf near the top of the compartment like we do, equipment may fall against the door when its down. When you roll it up you may just have a nice pretty scratch on the door.
    As for roll out trays. Next best thing to sliced bread. Tilting trays are even better. Make sure you get trays that have bearing that support the weight you intend to carry. Trays that lock when they are out are nice for uneven terrain.

Very good question!

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Right now we are getting a new brush truck and I wanted them to order it with the roll up doors becasue I know someday there is going to be something that won't see what is going on and plow right into the doors if the are open. I know that they traditional doors look better on the peice of euipment but I think that they roll up doors would be a safe investment.

I've been looking at the same thing and for all intents and purposes the roll ups (aside from the space they take up in the top of the compartment) look like a best bet. In my research it seems though that the space they take up inside the compartment can be compensated for by the manufacturer in their body design. My concern, however, is two fold. 1) How much road dirt/grime gets thrown up on them during an average run and does that effect their operation? Seems to me you'd get a lot of road grime on the aft compartment doors with a tandem axle rig. 2) Flowing water in freezing temps. Should you get spray back onto the truck and have it freeze, is it going to be near impossible to gain access to compartments in an emergency? If anyone has any knowledge of these senarios and could speak to them I would be very appreciative.
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

We just got a new Pierce a couple of months ago with roll up doors this is the first truck that we have the roll up doors, before we made the decision we went around to the local Depts and got their input on what they liked and what they disliked about the doors on their trucks then we made up our minds.
    The thing I like about the roll ups is when you open them you don't have anything sticking out past the truck.
    And we also have the slide out trays in the truck which work out great also on the right side of the truck we have 4 pull-out aluminium peg boards that we mounted alot of the smaller tools.

Check out our truck on our website
    www.ridgefd.org
    Last edited by AJM108; 04-13-2002 at 12:09 AM.
    AJM108
    Captain Ridge Fire Dept.
    Company One

Default locker doors

My service has recently started using roller doors on our appliances again after spending 10 trouble filled years using swing open doors. Our main trouble was on rough terrain the chassis would flex and the doors would pop open and gear would fall out! We had some years with poor funding so we had no choice in the matter but now we have gone in the right direction. The only problem is that you must make sure that equipment is stowed properly or it can jam the locker. In regards to the slide out tray some new applinces have them and thay are brilliant. It utilises space so much better than open shelving so if you can afford them go for it. Good luck with your new viechle I wish our department had trucks like yours!

Darren van ek
    Firefighter Country Fire Service
    South Australia

A couple of years ago we looked at this same question on our rescue truck. Due to the fact that equipment could shift and bind the roll up closed we went with conventional doors on both sides and tried a roll up in the rear compartment. So far so good but there isn't much there to bind the door closed. We have slide out and slide tilt drawers on this truck and they are great. Pull out the drawer and everything is displayed and in easy reach. Watch the slide tilts, some equipment could take off, but if you're careful things will stay in place. Only down side on the slide outs is overloading. We overloaded one (nobody else has ever done that have they?) with a receiver winch, chains, etc. and it bowed and started to drag. Shimmed it with some aluminum stock and things are fine.
    We also did what AMJ108 did and looked at other departments. You can get a lot of good ideas and advice from other departments.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Thread Information