Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Leather Lid Help

I am PROUD to report I have just un-boxed my first leather lid!

I am looking for some advice on the "proper" method to put a bend on the brim. I think it is refered to as the " Brooklin Bend"?
    A firefighter in a neighbor station has this bend on his leather and I have to admit it looks terrible. It is bent to the point that the leather brim looks broken and is limp. Can this be avoided?

Any advice you guys could give would be most appreciated.

Thanks and God bless,
    Firefighter45

I've heard a few different methods of doing this. Unfortunately I have never actually done it myself because I bought my used and it already had the bend in it. The most important thing to remember when bending the leather is to do it slowly. Some people have told me that often the helmet will be soft enough after you come out of a fire that you can bend it a little. Other people have told me that hot water will soften the leather enough so that you can bend it. Hopefully someone who has actually had to bend their helmet can tell you which method is best.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

I've seen helmets with that "bend" in them before. Food for thought; before you spend the time and energy "customizing" the helmet, you might want to check with the manufacturer before you make any modifications to the helmet. You may be altering the helmet in such a way that it could warrant questions regarding any future liability issues.

Unless, of course, you have no intention of wearing it on scenes!

Default Dont bend it

My advice is to let it alone and let it form based on the use and exposure to heat. I have seen people "bend" theirs and it causes premature cracking.

NJFFS has a point. I am not sure what the warranty is..but "bending it" may void that. And besides...after all that money...why bend it up??? What purpose does it serve? It would see the "bend" would make more stuff go down your neck.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Since you wanted to know, some people in department close to mine have leather and they put there bend on the helmet them selves. They call it baking, the just put it in a regular oven and the heat gets to hot that it just bends. Look the guy above me, you may want to check with the manufacture.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Don't bake....Don't bend. Like Stan says, it does cause premature cracking of the Leather. I know a guy who toasted his in a training burn and while the Leather was still soft, took the rear brim down a few notches. A few weeks later, he had wire showing around the rear of the brim, and he now has a gutter running right down his neck. Another fella I know did the baking routine and blisterd the paint all over the helmet. I've let my leather over the years take it's own shape...on it's own with no help or bending from me. Kind of like the Leather Front Piece, it gets blackened from years of experience and the many walking tours of hell.

Be good to your Leather and it'll be good to you. Be Safe.

Default Re: Leather Lid Help

Originally posted by Firefighter45
    I think it is refered to as the " Brooklin Bend"?
    Firefighter45
    Just a note here...It's called The Bronx Bend.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Why bend it. It came from the factory in the correct shape and if the factory wanted it bent then they would have bent it in some other shape. It is designed for the proper protection and changing its shape will not give you the protection you need. I still use my leather lid in the same shape that it was when it came out of the box. Of course it has had its scratches and dings over the years. It stll does it job that it was intended to do.

Worry about something more importnant than trying to reshape your helmet, like being the best firefighter in your department by studying every thing out there and attend all the classes you can.

Stay Safe - Stay Well

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys. It always helps to get input from FF's that know what they are talking about. After your comments I have decided to leave it alone.

God Bless,
    Firefighter45

Thread Information