Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Need help: Promotional test question!

Hey comrades, I need some help with a question I'll be getting for our Lt. test from the oral interview. Can you give me some answers that are a bit different from the usual but still good (I need the points) to the question, "Why do you want to be a Lieutenant?". I'll be dealing with the Police & Fire Commission so they're not real up to speed with the workings of the job but they're not completely ignorant either. The test is a tight race and I'm looking to answer it well but to be a little different from the other guys so I can stand out a bit. History: I'm a 13 year veteran, city has 3 houses, 69 members, pretty good run totals, and I've got good history and commendation backround but the place is VERY political and I'm not IN with most of them. Thanks in advance,

Brian Kulaga, Cicero FD.

Cool

Brian,
    Since your Police & Fire Commission is assessing the interview.They probably have a background in management.The Fire Officer IFSTA manual addresses many management styles and leadership ideas.If you have one,I would take a close look at it.I just finished the officers course here and took our state written.It focused much on those two items.

Just don't spit out a canned answer for that question.Tell them why you really want to become a Lt.I would suggest adding things like :"I feel I am ready for this next challenge in my career".Or,"I feel I have the confidence to contribute to this city in a leadership capacity".
    Most P&F commissions really enjoy hearing the words:leadership,achievement,c hallenge,and motivation.Things like that,but phrasing them in your own sentences that comes from you and not a book.

Good luck,my Lt.test is just around the corner also.
    4iron

Forum Member

Tell them that you don't want to be a Lieutenant. You want to be the Fire Chief, and the only way to get there is to be a Lieutenant first. Then go with the canned response that every Lieutenant candidate in the fire service has used since the first oral interview in 1769 (or thereabouts).

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do YOU want to be an LT? Why did you take the test?

Tell them that. I like the Chief answer. What worked for me was the chance to help the new guys, training opportunities, etc. Whatever your answer you'll be nervious and the truth (not what you think will give you a better score) is the best.

Tell the truth! I personally feel that the best Lt's are the honest ones and I usually vote, yes we elect ours, for the person w/ honesty, intelligence, and usually threatens to kill anyone that votes for them b/c they dont want the job. GOOD LUCK!
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

We Don't vote for officers here we take a test !!!!!!! only vollys vote!!!!

Well Brian, as you can see most of the answers are the same, and all are good ones. I would have to agree about the Officers Manual, it has really good ideas about leadership, training and other managment roles, but the best answer I've read yet is to tell the truth. If you intend to continue on in the ranks throughout your career then tell them so. The greatest thing I would like to hear ( If I were on the commission) would be what the rank means to you personally and how you intend to improve your company,dept., ect..... if promoted. Just a thought Bro, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    Capt. Walker

Be yourself and be honest.

Thread Information