Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Info Needed on Miiitary Firefighting

Hello...I just recently relocated to the Arizona California Area..I volunteered in NJ for three years and I am considering enlisiting inthe military reserves...I dont know too much about the fire service occupations the military offers....I know the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard offer fire protection as an MOS..I am not familar with the training for this........I was wondering if any military firefighters in this forum could give me some info on which service to go for....I heard the army reserve has firefighters also...But I dont know what they would do....Any info would be appreciated

Go with the Air Guard. I've been in the Army Reserve for 21 years. Take my word for it. You'll enjoy the Air Guard much more. It's all pretty much the same initial training now. Goodfellow AFB is the DOD Fire School. Been there for a vist, and lots of thought and $$$ were put into this school.

What do Army Reserve Firefighters do....I heard most Army Posts have civillan firefighters...So do Army Reserve firefighters deploy with units....Do they get to go on any runs or do they just train all the time..When do they deploy ..What kind of equipment do they use?

There are about 4 army posts that have military ff, most of them are at Fort Rucker, AL. As for the reserves, alot of training. There are only a few of these units though. They have been deployed to Bosnia and were in Desert Storm. The unit I am in has also gone to fight wildfires in New York. Most of the equipment we use is old and outdated. As far as apparatus goes we use Amertek 1500L's better known as MACI's. It is without a doubt the absolute worst piece of apparatus I have ever set my eyes on.

I got friends in both Air reserves and Army guard, all firefighters, all deployed. Just depends on whether or not you want good food, air conditioned tents, and all the other AF perks...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

So I hear a voice.."GO AIR FORCE YOUNG MAN"

I hate to admit it, but as a Marine 7051 (Aircraft Firefighter), I say go Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

I have a different viewpoint on this than many. I am the Crash Chief for a Reserve Marine Wing Support Squadron in Michigan. The ANG base we are located on has a DoD civilian full time dept. There are also sections of Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard Firefighters assigned to the units here. The Army National Guard has two Firefighting units at Camp Grayling up north, equipped with the dreaded 1500Ls.(Go to the Pierce website to see the new Tactical Firefighting Truck they are supposed to be getting-what a beast!) So, I have first hand experience with the different services and types of units out there.

All military firefighters are trained to provide structural and aircraft fire protection. All of the services attend the same school at Goodfellow AFB in TX. It is about 3-4 months long. Excellent school. Includes FF I, FF II, Aircraft FF, Hazmat Awareness and Operations. The big difference is in the continuing education. The DoD (Air Force administered) certification program has a class for every advancement or special duty, and the Air Force WILL require you to take the class before you can be promoted to that position. The USMC pays lip service to the DoD program, but does nothing to encourage it. The Army seems to have a hard time following it too.

NFPA standards, especially 1500, are the Bible in the DoD. Unfortunately, the Air Force is the only service that treats it that way and funds it accordingly. My unit is much more concerned with rifle marksmanship and engineering than to spend it's money on firefighting. Same with the Army units up north. It's not that they don't want to, they just don't have the money.

I love the Marine Corps. But the Marine Corps is about killing people, not rescuing them. The Army/NG will also spend most of the available training time on field/soldiering tasks. In the Air Force, you are a FIREFIGHTER. They deploy with air conditionined tents for God's sake.

Any service is a great way to serve your country. The Marine Corps Reserve has crash crew reservists at Miramar and Fresno in CA. But if you are joining to serve AND get FIREFIGHTING training and experience, go Air Force.

Good Luck

Listen to the Gunny. You will never go wrong with the advice of Any Gunny.I have worked for every branch of the D.O.D fire service starting as an Enlisted Marine.If your looking to be educated Air Force All the way. Goodfellow was a blast and there is no program better ( If used correctly) then the CERT Program. Good Luck, Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Go Air Force. I am a Civilian F/F for the Army and the only place that I have ever seen an Army, Navy, or Marine F/F was at Goodfellow. I know that it is a good school to go to. I was stationed there when the school was built and had some friends go through the Rescue School when it was much longer. They said that it was the best training that they ever received. I am trying to find out how I can go to the school now since I was not a F/F when I was active duty. Good luck.

Thread Information