Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Coast Guard Yard Fire Department

I was just wondering what this fire department does..I never heard of coast guard firefighters.....Has anyone heard of this Dept...Are they civillan or military?

From what I understand they are Civilian GS-081 series Firefighters. The only differance is they belong to Dept of Transportation vs Dept of Defense. This somehow effects there retirment.
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Forum Member

Hey Dean, (NCFiremedic):

No, I am not Kevin. I did, however, hit three Kevin's in the head before I found the right one. He finally admitted to knowing you. Alas, I may not repeat his musings regarding you as this is an edited forum and such language is not permitted............

Be Safe,

firedog30

Hey Firedog...
    Glad to hear Kevin is still in good spirits. If he was cursing and talking poop about me, He was telling the thruth
    Ask him to Email me. He doesn't seem to answer me when I email him...or maybe I should take the hint Anyways, Hope all is doing well up in Wright-Patt.
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

I am a civilian Firefighter with Petaluma Coast Guard Fire Department in California. My department has ten paid. 7 Engineers/EMT, 2 Station Captains, and 1 Fire Chief. We also have 12 volunteer firefighters. We are a Training Center. Basically a college for Coast Guard personnel when they get out of boot camp. They start thier schooling here for whatever field they picked when inlisted. There are a wide variety of classes here. There are only 7 Coast Guard Fire Departments. They are Petaluma, Kodiak, Yorktown, Cap May, Cap Cod, Governers Island and Elizabeth City. Petaluma, Kodiak and Governers Island are civilian. I believe the rest are military FF with civilian Chiefs. Some right now are in the process of converting over to civilian.

Yes we are 0081 series and are DOT not DOD as stated above. Our retirement is the same as DOD. We are all Federal Firefighters in the same series. As DOT we are not required to get those DOD certs. All our certs come from the great state of California. Usually people leave here to get into a city job for more money and less hours. The retirement here in California is good also. In most part we do not have a big turnover rate. We are as municiple as it can get. It does not feel like a Federal base.

Coast Guard Yard Fire Department is also a Training Center for Coast Guard. They are reservist and military.
    IAFF Local F-298

Are you military or civillan? Where is Petulama in California..I think I have heard of it....If I sign up for the coast guard reserve how hard is it to get a position at one of the Coast Guard Firehouses? I never heard of a military base having volunteers...Thats very interesting....How many runs and what type do you average a year?

We are 40 mi. north of S.F., Seven mi. west of Petaluma and 15 - 20 miles from the ocean. We are in a rolling hills and small mountain peak setting. As stated on the above post. I am a civilian (GS-06 Engineer).

We have (1) Type 1 Engine, (1) Type 3 Engine, (1) Water Tender, (1) Rescue and the Chief's Durango. All are new within two years. We have Automatic Aid with Marin Co. FD, Two Rock Vol. FD, Bloomfield Vol. FD, Valley Ford Vol. FD and second alarm with City of Petaluma FD. We are supposed to be second in Engine Company, but since all are Vol FD except Marin Co. We are first in. We run 250-300 calls a year. Being a rural area outside of the base. 95% of the calls are legit not false alarms. We ran 30 structure fires, numerous grass fires, a few vehicle fatalies, and sent on 5 Strike Teams to fight wildland fires throuout California last year. The rest are medicals, hazmat and fire alarms. We also have mutual aid with the rest of Sonoma County and are a state resource for Office of Emergency Services (OES) in California.

I beleive you cannot join as a FF in the Coast Guard. It is a added duty on top of your assigned job. Our volunteers are Coast Guard inlisted members who pick the fire department as their addded duty. We train them to state cert in FF 1, Hazmat Ops, Class B Firefighter's License, and CDF wildland training. Some are EMT but are not required. Just as long as their CPR and AED certified. We do train them on base line vitals and basic packaging. If you want to join the reservist. Join the Air Force. You will get all your certs and training to get a job as a civilian. Either as a Fed FF or municiple FF.
    IAFF Local F-298

Forum Member

Default CG Firehouse

Hey
    The firehouse in cape may is military staffed. They have 16 military(coast guard) firefighters and a DCC. They also have one civilian GS-09 who acts as asst chief and training chief. The yard in baltimore is the same way I believe. As for getting one of these as duty there are only two active military coast guard firehouse left the others have converted to civilian. Getting reserve duty at one is close to impossible unless you know someone and the DCC in cape may dosen't like reserves so that leaves baltimore yard and you have to live close or they won't consider you for reserve duty (cost to much and they won't spend the money) anything else let me know I was in cape may fh for 3 years.
    Never pet a burning dog, that would be stupid!

Forum Member

Question Just wondering

Anyone know what type of schedule they are working at USCG Petaluma FD? Thanks.

Thread Information