Default Another questionable graduate???

My dept. is paid with 4 station and about 60-70 people. We have more chief cars than we do fire trucks.

Anyway, we do most of the repair work inhouse. We have this guy who is a certified electrician that does all of the electrical work. This seems logical, let the electrician do the electrical work right? Well this guy wires all of our chief cars and fire trucks. Let me say that there is never a dull moment when riding in any of these vehicles. One Asst. Chief's car has a ticking noise everytime you engage the brakes. One of the fire trucks has a radio that cuts off when the federal is used. Another truck's radio cuts off almost everytime you turn right. If all of this wasn't bad enough, the Big Chief's car has his high-beams cut on everytime his car is put in reverse. I guess the bright side is that when he takes it out of reverse, they cut off again. LoL

Does any other career dept. have this kind of problem?

Forum Member

Don't let him wire your firehouse! Sounds like he does not understand differences between household wiring and automotive wiring. We also have a guy who tries to be helpful, but ends up breaking more than he fixes. Good Luck.

Forum Member

If your state works to NFPA, ANYONE that works on ANY emergency response vehicle is supposed to be qualified to NFPA 1071.This includes ALL fire apparatus,ambulances,police cars, ANY fire support vehicles that respond toa emergency with lights and sirens which includes chief,inspectors ,fire marshals air and light trucks,tankers rescue trucks and utility vehicles.

Even if you have not formally adopted NFPA its going to be mighty tough in court to explain why you emergency vehicle malfunctioned or crashed going on a call or injured or killed someone.
    Next there going to want to know who worked on it and what was is qualifications period no if ands or buts.

If anyone doubts about adhering to NFPA wether adopted or not, look on a different forum here and read about the asst chief in NY state that could go to jail for 25 years for a training accident that burnt 2 F/Fs and killed another. They did not follow NFPA either. They claimed they didnot know
    about following NFPA for live burns.Also claimed they couldnot afford the code books.WRONG.

All mechanics should be EVT and ASE certified this includes your own people as well as any outside shop you send your work to. Make your you check there credentials first

Forum Member

Sounds like my Captain... wired a radio into his private vehicle because he can respond from his other job to calls... kept wondering why it would only work when his foot was on the brake...

But that is his private vehicle. When it comes down to the department's equipment, we change light bulbs and may wire something on the fly to get us through a day or two, but everything, and I mean everything, else goes out to certified mechanics to be worked on. Didn't always used to be that way for us, members used to do all the work on the rigs (right down to taking the pump apart to fix the impeller). These days, we don't even do our own oil changes... they are all on a rotationally timetable.

Our chief has a saying, "I don't care if you or I drive a piece of sh#t, but this is a fire department, the trucks have to work when needed."

I agree with WRENCH, it is one of your rigs, then it should only be looked at by someone who is certified to do so. Sure, we all like to work on our own vehicles, but if my car breaks down it doesn't leave two firefighters inside a house, on the end of line with no water.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Old Fric
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes it seems that this electrician is at least in line for a Phd in Electrical Engineering. He has shown the necessary criteria:

1. He has been shocked
    2. He once read the definition of Electricity
    3. He has wired department vehicles in accordance with the nationally recognized standard "Standard on the mis-wiring of apparatus" which is led into battle by NFPA technical committee 109,457.
    4. He wants to quantify his knowledge, education, and his attempts to wire three lightbars on his Ford focus.

Joking aside, this "eelekktrician" is a joke. Good luck MO

Thread Information