Default How did you get involved in the Fire service?

I was just wondering how all of you guys and girls got involved in your local junior programs, and if you don't mind at what ages.

FDNY we will never forget what you lost on 9/11

Forum Member

Wink

Well, since I grew up around the station, getting involved wasn't hard... I overheard a member of our dept. talking about a letter that was apparently sent out by our state fire marshal, encouraging departments to start or expand junior programs. Then, I was 15. After I heard this, I bugged the heck out of everyone to start a program. Nothing happened, I bugged em' some more, nothing happened... So, I gathered all of the info they needed to write bylaws, handed it to the right person, and bugged em' some more...Now I'm a junior firefighter. Since I grew up with these people, my threatening to go and join a rival dept. got the ball rolling....hehe... Oh, age?? 17.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Well, as FireGal said, I grew up at the station. I joined about a month ago, when I was at the station complaining about wanting to run calls but I couldn't. The chief asked me if I wanted to join, and in about 20 minutes, the application was in. I was voted in later that night, and I started using my dad's old gear the next time his shift was on duty (which was kind of funny, because all the engineers were changed to lieutenants, and I wear the engineer helmet to calls and have his name on the back of the turnout coat, because everybody at the station said we walk alike, talk alike, and do a lot of other stuff alike). Now, I hang out there all the time, it's a great place to be, even when we do get called out at 10:30 because drunk people "feel funny" and want to go to the hospital.

LOL, I forgot all about age! I'm 16.
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 04-02-2002 at 04:35 PM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

About two years ago, my buddy David who was a cadet for 3 years then asked me and I decided yes, that is the whole story, I wasn't really that siked about it at first, now I would NOT change it for the world. Thanks for asking and good question!

Thread Information