Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default Smoking? Should cadets or firefighters smoke?

I was wondering as I do A LOT! Do you have any cadets that smoke? Do you have any firefighters that smoke? Do you have any rules that govern smoking? What are your thoughts on smoking? Do you smoke?
    Please answer those questions becasue we have two cadets that smoke and I am trying to help them stop but they don't want to! I don't know what I can really do but I just want to see the best for them!

Please answer those questions becasue we have two cadets that smoke and I am trying to help them stop but they don't want to!
    You cannot do anything. Leave them alone, its bad enough we have Local Government telling us we can't smoke cigarettes. We don't need some Cadet saying it as well. Alot of firefighters smoke, so do alot of Cops, Judges, Government Officials and Athletes. Just leave us Smokers alone to smoke in peace. If you do not like our smoke, do not hang in a smoking area. There's an old saying out there, and when I hear some anti-smoking Zealot spweing banter about how bad Smoking is, I say "Eat Well, Stay Fit and DIE anyway!" The only thing in life that is guaranteed is Death, so we might as well enjoy life the way WE want to. Not the way some government official wants us to!
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

If theres not a dept regulation, usually only seen in career depts, against it leave them alone because you have no cause to call them on it. Their adults and if they wanna light up its their choice. They only thing you could do is most states have laws against smoking in public buildings and the town owned fire station fits the bill so they have to take it outside. BTW if you try to take my cigars or one of your members cigs away you might wind up a sorry cadet so be careful in your little crusade.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Poor sence of health, what is the main reason people die in house fires, the SMOKE duh. So why are you going to do something that kills people in fires? I don't want to go into a burning building with someone that smokes and their lungs are all out of wack and pass out of cadiac arrest becasue of the years of smoking, I think if you smoke then the fire service is a bad choose, not becasue I hate smokers because it is just a liability.

Forum Member

"Do you have any cadets that smoke?" No Cadets.
    "Do you have any firefighters that smoke?" Yes.
    "Do you have any rules that govern smoking?" It has to be a legal substance.
    "What are your thoughts on smoking?" It's your choice, I drink.
    "Do you smoke?" Nope.

"Poor sence of health, what is the main reason people die in house fires, the SMOKE duh. So why are you going to do something that kills people in fires? I don't want to go into a burning building with someone that smokes and their lungs are all out of wack and pass out of cadiac arrest becasue of the years of smoking"

Not too many people die in a house fire from cigarette smoke. Most departments and NFPA and OSHA require Respiratory Protection programs to be able to wear SCBA's, part of that program is medical fitness. If your lungs are that bad, you should not be able to pass that part of the program.

Lighten up.

To reply to Bones:

I never said that cigarete smoke does kill people! I said the smoke in general when I house burns it is the smoke that kills, not the fire, so why would you smoke when your main objective is to save the people from dieing becasue of smoke inhalation.

The NFPA and OSHA regualation are just getting off the ground and the test is very, very minimal! It takes on cig. to get messed up, you can argue all day but I know that smoking and being a firefighters is just bad news

Alaska State law and my city ordinances say that you must be over the age of nineteen to purchase or be in possession of any type of tabacco product. Also, it is city law that no one under the age of nineteen may smoke on city property.

We had one cadet (cadets are 16-18 y/o) who was in my eyes, a very heavy smoker. he would sit out in his car before drill and smoke, everybody knew he did, including his two uncles (who are both captains) but everybody seemed to look the other way.

He, along with everybody else at the station that smoked, are good firefighters and are damn good people. Just because I don't smoke or like to be around them when they do, it is still their right to do it.
    Last edited by firecadetak; 04-03-2002 at 06:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's their right to smoke if they want, and it's NOT ANYONES business to tell them otherwise.

If they want to smoke let them. I don't smoke with the exception of cigars every now and again, but have no problem if people want to. There are labels on the side of the packs, commercials on t.v. and every other option out there suggesting to stop. If you're "mature enough" (used loosely) to be in this buissiness, than certianly you can make up your mind on this.
    As far as smoke in a building killing people, yes smoke is what kills most of persons intialy in a house fire. What is in the smoke in a house fire?, pcb's pcv's and all type of pc.etc.'s. Don't forget smoke is heated/superheated products caused by combustion. It is not realy on the same scale.
    Don't push you're views on people that don't want them, it can come back in you're face real quick and don't be surprised if it doesn't come alone (i.e. a fist).
    the truth never hides for long

MembersZone Subscriber

im sorry..not to rain on your parade or anything but try to make posts that will be the least interesting... Yes Firefighters I know smoke and they are damn good firefighters.. Yes I know some juniors who smoke and Yes they are damn good junior firefighters.Do I smoke no..reason for it..Its not big thrill for me..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

District Chief

Nice post and response BONES

"CADETSTATION7"

Cadets that smoke (and dip)...yes..unfortunately

If I had anything to do with the program it would not allow smoking or the use of ANY tobacco materials while in the station, on the property or at any fire department function including outside training.

Firefighters that smoke...yes

My old department in Virginia did not allow the use of tobacco products by junior members...as outlined above...period...

I believe in Maryland as well as Virginia and most other states it is illegal for minors under the age of 18 to possess, purchase or use tobacco products. I believe that the Boy Scouts of America does not allow tobacco products either...so if you explorer post is part of BSA they are violating rules.

Yes....you smokers have a right to smoke...you sure do...but if a department allows cadets, juniors, explorers to smoke they are allowing them to violate the law. And as a result of that your department could be liable in some sort of way...perhaps not criminally, but in civil matters.

As a member of the Explorer Post you can not do anything (once again) except take it to the Advisor. Even if you have a rule against it (which apparently you do not have) you do not have the authority to enforce it. Your title is merely one given to you to spread out the responsibilities and give you a job. You can not make them stop... You can give them information about smoking and encourage them to do so. If they passed a physical (which if you are up on the "rules" according the the NFPA standards you throw around) then the chances of them passing out and going into cardiac arrest tomorrow are slim. Besides....as I remember, Cadets, explorers and juniors are not going to be doing interior anyway.

Please SPELL CHECK
    Last edited by captstanm1; 04-02-2002 at 06:03 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Captstanm1, good response, I appreciate that you respect smokers as I respect non-smokers, we have alot of people in the station who do not smoke, so I do not smoke around them, I will go outside or into the Pool Room or upstairs at the Bar (yes we have a bar in the station and no it is not stocked!) As far as Junior/Cadets Smoking, we dont have a problem with it because We do not have any Kids hanging around. You can join the station at 16, but most of the delinquents that live in the neighborhood around our station cannot maintain the Grades in School.
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

Forum Member

Its bad enough they smoke, but you can't do anything about it. Our only rules on it is in no piece of apparatus, or in the meeting room. Thats the only two rules and the one about no smoking in apparatus is broken, even with chiefs in the truck, not by the chiefs, but as long as you have your window down nobody cares.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

just let them smoke... its hard to get ppl to stop smoking. my dad smoked and it took cancer to get him to stop. once they get cancer, they'll throw em away, just like my dad did.

our fh has a no smoking in the building rule, as for the explorers, it is illegal to buy cig. under 18, there for are explorers are not allowed to smoke at any fire house or explorer function.
    <a href="http://www.lakecarmelfd.org" target="_blank">www.lakecarmel fd.org</a> links- explorers

our dept. does not have a bi law on it, but its my personal opinion that no one should smoke, especially a teenager, smoke kills as well as starts fires, you all should know the power of a cigarette
    IACOJ

Thumbs up

nope, we all get enough smoke and heat at workers that it should be an outrage to smoke. But for the safer fire stations (like mine who dont see any fire) i could see why they might smoke.

Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

Thread Information