Post Mobile Burn Trailer

My Department is schedualed to use the New Hampshire Fire Academies Moble burn trailer later this mounth. Has anyone used a mobile burn and what did you think?

Forum Member

Utah Fire & Rescue Academy has an array of live fire trailers. They have the Swede or Flashover trailer. The Initial Attack trailer. The "Skills" trailer.
    Flashover is just that, a flash trailer.
    IA trailer is a simulated structure fire or moblie home trailer.
    Skills trailer is a basic FE, Vent, you name it trailer.
    They are great training aids!

*Mark

Default Do you have anything better?

I participated in a "flash" simulator at Monroe (WI) Fire School.

To be honest, there was no challenge...it sucked. You just put out fire...it wasnt dark, no trying to hump hose (since in these trailers, you just go in a straight line). To be honest, if you have access to a burn tower, I think that would be better. At least you can get the fire hot, and if its multi story you can practice search and rescue. I fail to see the purpse.

Hope you guys aren't paying for the training. Take the trip to a burn tower at a technical college...you'll probly get more out of that (and thats not saying much).

(now before anyone says I'm ranting to a forum instead of the sponsors of the trailer...I professionally and calmly did tell them my concerns. It just fell on deaf ears.)
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

Disillusioned Subscriber

Properly conducted training in a flashover simulator has very real value. We seldom have the opportunity to really watch a fire develope to true flashover under ordinary circumstances. My only intimate experience with a flashover was not something I would want to do again. Prior to these simulators, few people got to really see a true flashover develop and survive unscathed.

It's one thing to try to explain and describe the warning signs of an imminent flashover, but to allow students to actually see it from beginning to end is something quite valuable. Being aware of and alert to those warning signs could easily save their lives someday. It's not really intended to perform extinguishment evolutions, and understandably to do so would leave something to be desired. On the other hand, if used to allow firefighters to actually safely experience flashover conditions and practice techniques to control those conditions, as it was intended, I think it is invaluable.
    Last edited by Steamer; 04-03-2002 at 05:17 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

To be honest, there was no challenge...it sucked.
    Just what exactly is the challenge you're looking for in a flashover trailer? Flashover SURVIVAL is the key there. You learn how to recognize and retreat from a fire when flashover is immenent.

Default Iowa Burn Trailers...

The Fire Training Bureau of the State Fire Marshals Office has a burn trailer which can simulate a two-story structure fire. The walls can be reconfigured after each evolution to give a different feel to the participants. The instructors can also watch through view ports so they can "reignite" the fire behind you (on the burners) to give you a more realistic feel. Also, in cooperation with the State Fire Marshals Office and the Fire Training Bureau, the Graettinger (sp?) Fire Department has two mobile burn trailers that also travel the state. I've been through one of these. It's a little smaller, but the principals the same. They can demonstrate what to look for in regards to a backdraft situation and can do the same things as the larger burn trailer. It is smaller but is effective. Kirkwood Community College has the mobile home trailer simulator. Have never used it (hopefully I'll get a chance in September at Fire School). Personally, I think they're pretty good for training. However, nothing ever really comes close to a working structure fire (probably because of the adrenaline rush )
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

The opinions expressed are mine, and mine alone. They do not reflect the views of my department.

FTM-RFB-PTB-EGH-KTF
    Remember FDNY 9/11

GO FOR IT!!!!!!

There's one thing to remember in this job (YOU CAN'T GET ENOUGH TRAINING ), even if it's not as fun as you would like, I guarantee you'll learn something.
    Capt. Walker

Mark-

The flashover simulation was very small, and not realistic to what most of us understood and/or experienced a flashover to be. We were also instructed to use the trailer like a burn tower...to extinguish fire with 1 3/4 hoselines. As I said before, none of the hazards/challenges of an actual structure fire were present.

I would have hoped that a carefully instructed drill (which my department paid $50 a person for) would attempt to have these challenges - where one can more closely monitor what's going on and offer aid if necessary. But instead it had the value and intensity of a county-fair kiddy roller coaster.

I simply expected a better learning experience. The trailer we had didn't provide it.
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

Mark-

I have also been able to do trainings with UFRA's trailers, and it sounds like they are better than what others have used. I found it very helpful and going through that training helped me get hands on experience on what to look for and how to treat the situation.

C. Erickson
    Fire Fighter-EMT/Eagle Mountain Fire Dept.

Thread Information