Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ID cards

Default ID cards

Well, once again the subject of ID cards has come across my desk. Actually, it came across my desk a few months ago, but I didn't have any time to pay attention to it until now.

So, here goes. I was wondering what type of information you have on your department ID cards. Either the one that you wear (assuming you wear one) on your station wear, or the one you keep in your wallet, or the one you use with your accountability system (I seen a cool one were the tags the firefighters had on their helmets had a picture and their vital info on them, looked good from afar, but I never got a chance to ask about it).

Well, that is pretty much it.... if no one hurries back with some ideas I guess I will just have to put it off for another couple of months... I don't know if I could handle that...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Front: Dept. name & insignia, Picture, Name, Rank, FF ID # (the number we use to get CEU's)
    Back: Dept. info- address, phone#, Fax# : personal info Birth date, Race, weight, hieght, eye color, hair color, blood type, ss# and signature also a date of issue
    the truth never hides for long

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a new PASS that, when activated, sends a signal to a receiving device that shows who is on scene and who has activated their PASS needing help. I believe the main terminal thingy can also send a signal to evacuate (sp?) a building. I don't remember where I saw it. I'm sure you can find it if you do some searching. I'll try and help dig it up if your interested.

I seen a technology show on this system, it wasn't a PASS, but Jedimike007 got me thinking about it. This one was for Volunteer/paid on call departments.

Basically, how it worked was you carry your trusty Minitor III (ok, stop laughing) or other model pager. When you get called your pager goes off like normal. However, there is an additional "knob" on the top and another button on the side. You turn this knob to one of a few settings, IE: Responding, Not Responding, Delayed Response, etc etc. Once you select which one, you press the other button and it transmits your choice out. The chief, or other equipped officer, or dispatch, would have a computer screen, or palm pilot with a list of the department's members. When you relay your information (by selection with the knob and transmitting), it would display your status. That way, those in charge have a good idea who will be attending, who will not be attending, and who will be along shortly.

Actually, this system was set up for inside a chief's vehicle. From there, he could access that information from a screen, or have it sent to his palm pilot. In addition, he could have floor plans etc stored that could also be able to recalled

The only problem I see with this is that, well, as firefighters I know we would end up breaking it before we had it out of the box. I heard this saying, not sure where, or who it came from:

"Take a group of firefighters and lock them in a room with nothing it but two solid steel bowling balls with their department's name on them. Come back an hour later, one bowling ball will be broken, the second one taken apart and have an extra handle welded to the side of it, and there will be a third bowling ball that has the neighbouring city's name on it.

Oh, back to ID cards... thanks for all the info, keep it coming, it is helping. I eventually have to make a template up, so the more info I have the better.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Our ID cards double as accountability cards. We are issued two cards, one on a strap with a clip hook to attach to the back of our helmets and a wallet card. These cards are identical. The front of the card carries your bname, rank, ID #, and expiration date. At the top of the card is a color strip that indicates the level of certification for both structural firefighting and medical training. On the back of the card you are shown special training qualification ( driver/operator, incident commander, technical rescue, hazmat training level, etc.) At the very bottom of the card is a space where it indicates if you have site specific training at any of the large industrial plants in the county. If you cut away the lamination on the card, it contains your medical and emergency contact information.
    We are required to tag in for all incidents regardless of how small it is. Each piece of apparatus has a ring attached to the door where the tags go, and the frontline engines have a clipboard with hooks for areas such as fire attack, water supply, manpower. etc.
    The tag system works good now, but when we first started we had more than a couple cards get smoked up or worse because we forgot they were there. If you go with a system likes this, I suggest you require the members to tag in for everything, every call, every training class, every meeting, etc. We have a post at our station that we use to tag in for meetings and trainings. Each member is assigned to a piece of apparatus, and the engineer of that piece of apparatus is required to pick up all the tags for that truck if we get a call. This serves two purposes...1. it keeps the entire room from making a mad rush for the trucks if a call comes in..and 2. it gets everybody in the habit of tagging in.
    Hope this helps!

A few years ago my deptartment tried In cards, they had the picture, name, rank, and ID number on front. If they were an EMT, it had it in big bold letters under the picture. On the back of the ID, it had the person's Vehicle Authorization (what rigs they could drive) and EMS Level.

They got rid of them because they also doubled as the accountability tag and they took too much room up on the accountability board. So they went to a small 1 " by .5" tag, and now we are using the Passport system.

Our I/D cards are wallet sized & come with a holder for use when wearing it on your uniform or when at another stations. I has a photgraph of the holder, full name & rank & also an expiry date. On the back it has a contact number for our dispatch centre in case we are injured or taken ill when off call, so they can inform a hospital etc if we have been involved in a chemical incident for instance. We kept the information to a minimum as all other personal stuff is held on computer at HQ if needed. We don't wear these on the fireground as we have a separate system for that.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Our ID cards have our photograph, name, rank, employee number and clearance information for responding to incidents...they all say "disr" for disaster.

I don't know whether it means we are a disaster or if we are cleared to enter a disaster area!

I have only been asked to show my ID once while on duty...it was at a home fire alarm inspection. We went out as a company and were doing district familiarization and driver training, We had a 10:30 inspection scheduled, so we drove over there. We rang the doorbell, the resident of the home asked us for identification. I showed her my ID and she stated "anybody can get one of those...show me something else!" I replied "Ma'am, close the door, go over to the window and look at the BIG RED TRUCK parked out front...is that good enough for you?"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We have Department Photo ID cards.
    Photo, Name, Rank, ID Number on the front
    Back has three sections...
    Fire Certification (i.e. Firefighter I, Fire Service Instructor, Fire Officer)
    Medical Cert (EMT or MRT)
    Haz-Mat Cert (Awareness or Ops)

The largest single use of these is during our town's annual county fair. We park cars as well as run a couple concessions inside and provide fire/ems so our members are constantly having to enter/leave the grounds and use the Photo IDs for access. Non-member volunteers helping us get a non-photo ID with the current year prominently displayed to waive them through the gates.

=======================
    When you get called your pager goes off like normal. However, there is an additional "knob" on the top and another button on the side. You turn this knob to one of a few settings, IE: Responding, Not Responding, Delayed Response, etc etc. Once you select which one, you press the other button and it transmits your choice out.

Technology like this exists in the alpha-numeric world.
    It's called One-and-a-half way paging -- you can reply back with canned messages. Two-way paging allows you to customize a response.

I've used both before. One additional nice thing is they're guaranteed delivery -- if your pager is in a dead spot, they hold the page till they're sure you'll get it. Unfortunately for me, both services I tried the dead spot started 25 miles from my home!

The biggest weakness or reason they're slow to deploy is the signal coming from the pager is relatively weak. So you have to install receivers to hear them in places that there aren't other radio transmitters that would "drown" out the pagers. Outside of dense urban areas and rich suburbs, the cost/benefit just isn't there for the private sector.

Long term I think they're excellent for public safety only networks. Think of this when the Chief signs on and dispatch comes back, "Chief, 28 of your members received the page, and 20 are responding."

It would also eliminate the age old excuse, "I missed another internal alarm? This gosh darned pager sux!" "No it doesn't, the records show your pager received and acknowledged the page at 03:12."

Forum Member

If you're looking for acountability tags (which can also be used as ID cards) the Clemens system offers the member's medical history sealed inside the tag for emergency access. With new software that's now available, you can print your tags directly from youtr PC complete with your own logo, a digital pic and/or a high capacity bar code which enbales your tags to work with any dept. using the automated Fire-Trax system that uses palm based scanners for accountability tracking. The bar codes also feature readable text underneath specifying the wearer's qualifications (i.e. FF II, EMT, Haz-Mat Tech, etc.).

If you want more info, check out www.fire-rescueoutfitters.com & click the accountability link. You can see the basic Clemens PAS system - this page will be updated within 2 weeks with info on
    the new software as well as Fire-Trax. If you want info on any of this, click the e-mail link.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck with finding a tag system that works for your dept. Stay Safe.

Thread Information