Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Skill Sheets and such

We are in the process of looking at starting a technical rescue team. I would like some direction from those of you that can give it. I know that everything needs to be done IAW NFPA 1006 and 1670 (not sure on the second one). What I am looking for are skill sheets and possibly SOPs. We are a small all paid department of 17 and we are looking at having 5 rescue techs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Viking

peck4@onewest.net

Ok, now you got the second NFPA standard right (1670) this is the standard on operations and training for technical rescue incidents this standard will tell you what is required for each rescue type. As for skill sheets the above standard can give you a idea of whats required and you can make up your own as you go along. And lastly how deep are looking to get into technical rescue, it would be easier on you if you specialize in one or two areas first like confined space rescue and water rescue or high angle rescue or even ice rescue. Not knowing where your from and what type of area you cover it's hard to say what would be a good start.

Forum Member

Viking,
    If you look at the 1670 standards for each chapter you will see that there are training requirement for each level of training. What we did in my company is take the training requirements for the Awareness, Operation and Technician and made a skill check off sheet from them.
    As NJ-TF1 said you need to decide what operation you are going to do and to what level. At the confined space rescue technician level five techs might not be enough.

Good Luck
    David Gerrer
    Owner / Instructor
    Technical Training Solutions, LLC
    www.TechTrngSols.com

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

In reference to your question: My suggestion, since it appears your resources are somewhat limited to 5 techs, is to first determine what target hazards you have present in your jurisdiction. Why are you gearing up for tech rescue? Do you not currently have capability and yet have a need? If this is the case, start with the incident type you are going to most likely encounter. Get good training from outside sources- it's nice to have someone with an outside view of your situation to give you good advice.

There are some collapse shoring skill checklists on the Texas TF website (don't ask me the url, I can't remember it off the top of my head). You can get skill checklists for confined space and rope skills in Wright/Roop/Vines' text on the same. Fairfax County's tech rescue program has some great checklists.

I am a member of the 1006 Committee. We have some new chapters proposed in the next edition, so keep watching. Remember, 1670 is for measuring your department response and training, 1006 is for the rescue technician's required knowledge. Too many people out there are holding up 1670 as the technician standard and don't realize what it is actually for. I have recommended to smaller departments to gear up their response exactly as 1670's committee intended it (or at least what they said at the Panama City meeting a few years back). Not all departments will be able to offer service at the technician level for all of the disciplines. You need to start with the Awareness levels, then ease into the ones you can staff and equip to. Good luck.

Capt. Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Special Operations Coordinator
    Hilton Head Island (SC) Fire/Rescue

truck6.homestead.com/

Thread Information