Forum Member

Default Freightliner brakes

Had anyone else had this problem? Our department recently lost both rear brake drums on our 1998 FL-80 pumper. Unit was returning to quarters after responding to an alarm when they noticed they had a problem. The unit has less than 15K miles. Both drums cracked and on one drum, the entire center broke out. This is one of three FL's we have in service. Other units receive the same amount of usage and show no evidence of this type of problem. Drums show normal usage and apparatus is equiped with exhaust brake also. We do not feel that problem was caused by overheating or operation problems. All our units go through monthly inspections on braking systems and nothing had been noted up to this time.

Hickman
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but, maybe we had better take a closer look at it."

MembersZone Subscriber

I did a quick search for this issue over on the NAEVT board and didn't find anything specific to Freightliner, however there was one thread dealing with an International that was cracking drums and there were several good tips on things to check out.

I'd suggest taking a look at AND posting this question on the boards there.

http://www.naevt.org
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Freightliner in that class doesn't use/make their own brake system.The condition you decribe can only occur under a limited set of circumstances all causal in nature.Your local dealer or a GOOD truck garage should be able to figure out what caused the problem and repair it.Make sure to check with the dealer on any applicable TSB's.T.C.

Thread Information