Question Globe Bunker gear

We want to buy Globe bunkergear GX7, who can tell me something more about Globe's gear. Does it last long, how is it to wear, how's the protection ect.
    I ask this because in The Netherlands this brand is 'new', infact all US bunkergear is new. I would like to have as much info on this as possible, the only thing I know is what the slaesman tolds me. We as the Sittard Fire dept. in The Netherlands have approx. 700 calls a year and 1/4 are fire (structural) calls, how long will this gear last and how does it look like after 5 year? On all of these kind a questions I would like to have some answers, please let me know.

Hans Nieling, Volunteer FF Captain.
    Hans Nieling
    Captain 3th Shift
    Sittard Fire dept.
    The Netherlands

Forum Member

We use the Globe GX7 gear and it has done very well. It holds up well, and is fairly light. I have never had any trouble with the thermal protection. Keep it clean and dry, and it will last you five years (depending on amount of use, obviously). They could use some more padding in the knees, and I would like to have a tail on the coat. Overall, it is good gear.

Stay Safe

Clark W. Griswold School of Exterior Illumination

Globe is my personal favorite. I always get a good fit and I have found it to be durable.

We have been in Globe gear for at least 10 years. Our current spec is 3 years old and we are about 30 sets into the refitting process for all interior members. We are very happy with the gear. Anyone can make gear out of PBI, Nomex, Basofil, etc. Take a long look at the durability, and construction of the garment such as the stitching, etc especially in high wear areas (knees, elbows, shoulders, etc). We found the Globe to be superior to other manufacturers on the market. Take your time while searching for the manufacturer that best suits your needs. Good luck!

We have been using the GX7 up here in Iceland in our maritime school for a few years now and they are the best we have had. There are still some suits around in some of the fire departments since 1988 and still going strong. Be sure to do your homework in regards of which material to choose (outer shell, moister barrier, thermal liner).

Forum Member

First came the fire pumper,then came Globe gear.This company has been around almost as long as firefighters.Up until my last set I had Globe.On my last set i opted to try another brand.My new gear is due in in two weeks and it will be GX7 Globe.I was getting 5-8 yrs per set at 300-400 calls per year plus outside fire training(I am a Fire Instructor).I believe you will be happy with the performance.T.C.

Forum Member

Hans,
    I don't think you'll go wrong with the Globe. Until the last set of gear, been Globe for me since mid-80's and 100% satisfied. Last set was GX-7. New gear is Cairns Aegis which is now a division of Globe. So I guess you could say it's Globe. Only been using it a year, but so far, so good. Maybe you have access to the Cairns Aegis. It's close to GX-7 in style and also a Globe product.
    Why the change or availability of US gear at this point for you?

Originally posted by cilfd
    Hans,
    I don't think you'll go wrong with the Globe. Until the last set of gear, been Globe for me since mid-80's and 100% satisfied. Last set was GX-7. New gear is Cairns Aegis which is now a division of Globe. So I guess you could say it's Globe. Only been using it a year, but so far, so good. Maybe you have access to the Cairns Aegis. It's close to GX-7 in style and also a Globe product.
    Why the change or availability of US gear at this point for you?
    The interest for the US gear is because I'm not satisfied with the Dutch gear, it doesn't fit that well and they don't last that long. Therefore we are looking further and we simply want the best available, safety for all.

Hans
    Hans Nieling
    Captain 3th Shift
    Sittard Fire dept.
    The Netherlands

Originally posted by Lallo
    We have been using the GX7 up here in Iceland in our maritime school for a few years now and they are the best we have had. There are still some suits around in some of the fire departments since 1988 and still going strong. Be sure to do your homework in regards of which material to choose (outer shell, moister barrier, thermal liner).
    Hello, What type of outershell do you use, basofill,PBI ? Waht's your opinion on the lifetime of the GX7?
    Hans
    Hans Nieling
    Captain 3th Shift
    Sittard Fire dept.
    The Netherlands

Forum Member

Globe holds up well and it is been in use at our firehouse for many many years. I would recommend it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Just got the GX-7 about 2 mos. ago. Have not done much with my own as far as fire. The other guys who have had theirs longer and been in a couple of training burns, theirs seems to have held up with the exception of color fade from the heat. The tan color has changed to the dirty yellow look where they have taken some heat. It does seem to be some comfortable gear though.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Hello Hans

We have mainly been using Advance outer shell material for the students. It is light and takes abrasion very well. In terms of colour fastness, the higher the Kevlar contents, the less colour fastness you get.

I myself have been using both Basofil and PBI. I find the Basofil a little heavier than the Advance. The PBI is a great material but it does not seem to have the same abrasion resistance as the Advance.

I would also look into the Millenia (PBO) outer shell material and I think that a configuration of Millenia / Crosstech / Caldura would make a great suit, if you have the money for it? I think it would be expensive. In my opinion the same configuration but with a Advance outer shell would also make a great suit, but less expensive.

In terms of lifetime I think you will get the maximum out of the GX7 suit. In your case if you compare the EN 469 against the NFPA 1971 standard, that alone will guarantee you a better protection and in most cases durability.

Hope this helps and if you any more question feel free to e-mail me.

Thread Information