Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clark W. Griswold School of Exterior Illumination

Default The Ultimate Betrayal

It seems more and more that we are hearing about fire setters that are members of fire departments. Everytime I see one of these stories on the local news, it sickens me. So many of us work so hard to build good rapport with the public, only to have these individuals damage the reputation of the fire service.

What can we do to reverse this trend?

Without prying into someones personal life, not a whole lot. If we ( Im a Captain in a large County) as supervisors try to be a little more involved with our newer members, maybe we will pick up on it more. Im just as guilty as the next guy........

Clark W. Griswold School of Exterior Illumination

One thing we do is watch the talk around the station. If we have new members that "over-anticipate" their next run, we try to address it. Things like "I hope we get tripped for a ........" or "We could use a good structure tonight." I say, "What if it's your house?" It's a small statement, but it helps set a good example.

You really hit on a good point "500". All too often the talk around the station is how "we haven't had a good fire for some time".

What is a "good fire"? I always thought a good fire was one in the heater, boiler, fire place, stove or anywhere productive.

Also, isn't our main job/function fire prevention & public education? When we don't have calls it means we're doing our job, doesn't it?

I'm sure that all that talk can contribute some to the problem but there has to be some underlying problem that we can't see in our screening processes. Short of lighting a match in front of them to see if they cream their pants I don't know of anyway to find out. A psychological test can always be lied through if one really wants to.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

I think we all know what a "GOOD FIRE" is. It's what we have trained for. While we don't wish it upon anyone, we do hope when the enevitable fire does come in, we are working/available for it.

If there is a .0001% out there who would start a fire for the thrill of fighting it, it is up to the department involved to see that this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent and let the public know it is involved.

Sometimes it's hard not to be judged by the acts of a member in your ranks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post a matter of perspective

Stay Back 500Ft

I can only speak for myself but as a member of the public and as someone who has always has and always will have respect and admiration for the Fire Service, I would like to offer my brief thoughts if I may

[COLOR=red]When I look at the fire service I see the the 343 men of the FDNY who gave their lives so many could live. I see the men and women in the FDNY that are still out there serving and protecting even while they struggle to come to terms with their grief. I see the men and women who 24/7/365 are always a phone call away from helping me should I ever need it. These are the people who make the Fire Service the honorable profession it is. There are bad apples everywhere. It is all a matter of perspective and what you choose to look at. I do not let the actions of a few overshadow the good of so many.

Take care stay safe

I will always remember the FDNY in my heart, my thoughts and prayers.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's utter nonsense that we "can't do much". Paid FF and cops all have to submit to either a full psych exam or a polygraph. Someone please explain (as no one has been able to do in the past) why this can't be done for Vol. FF? As far as your personal life, if you don't want someone "prying into it" don't join the FD.

Paid FF and cops all have to submit to either a full psych exam or a polygraph.
    Incorrect statement. "All" indicates every jurisdiction in the country. That is simply not the case.

Someone please explain (as no one has been able to do in the past) why this can't be done for Vol. FF?
    Perhaps you could attempt to do so. Have you not been a volunteer for some time?

As far as your personal life, if you don't want someone "prying into it" don't join the FD.
    Or a prosecutors office. Perhaps you could share with us your social security number.

It is not that I disagree with your premise, but rather in the inefectual way that you state it. You seem to imply NO ONE can offer a solution or has in the past. Lets hear yours and maybe the rest of us will jump on board.

My best to your brothers in Newark.

To quote George CFI - "Paid FF and cops all have to submit to either a full psych exam or a polygraph."

And that means they are all Ok and there aren't problems with them?

I think we are kidding ourselves if we believe that would solve anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Background checks and psych tests would help, but not totally do away with all the "bad apples". I do believe George make a valid point. More could be done.

My department is as guilty as anyone on this matter. Our background check involves a few informal questions to people that know a potential member. There is talk of instituting a background check for new applicants (along with a medical physical, but that's another thread), but that won't help weed out people with POTENTIAL problems.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Unhappy A real sticky question

Should more be done to weed out undesirables? Of course.
    What should we do? I don't know.

We have a hard time getting vols on my dept,and we really try to be as selective as possible. For us to pay for the physc evals for anyone who wants to join would soon have us in a bad financial position. I like the idea, but I would venture to say that most vol depts can't afford it.

By the same token we can't afford the black eye it gives the fire service every time one of these mental defectives starts a fire.

I would at least think that a background check done by the local PD could be done at no or little cost to the FD. It won't do much good for phsycological problems, but you could see if they have a record of arson or violent crime.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

I don't want to mention the department but there is an embarassing case that involves FF's that went through a polygraph, Psych Profile, and an extensive background check. Now they have brought...well to put it short they had done some things in the past and 2 did something while employed. So the notion that it is the only solution is ridiculous.

I support background checks, Psych profile, and or a polygraph. However, just as in any profession, people slip through. We could talk for hours about the numbers of law enforcement that are bad or have gone bad. When my uncle retired from Monmouth County Prosecutors office where he was a detective for John Kaye, he had seen enough bad cops in towns and cities to last him a lifetime.

Proactive action is needed but we must also realize that some will slip through. Those that do, and perform a criminal act, should be dealt with swiftly.

In NY, it is now law that anyone wishing to join a volunteer fire company, or transfer to another company be investigated by the police (sheriff's department in my case) for arson convictions or arrests. It's not perfect, but it's a atart.
    Glenn Ralston, FF/EMT-D
    Kingsbury Vol. Hose Co.
    Bay Ridge Rescue Squad

IACOJ Safety Officer

Bayridge

It's not perfect, but it's a start.
    And a good one Bay Ridge! While we will have people harping "do more, do more" a journey starts with a single step. Your department is way ahead of many. Stay safe brother!

Very good topic, and very good responses by all. You have all made valid points about weeding out the bad apples, so to speak. There is no foolproof method of doing that, sad to say.
    It takes a very observant person or persons, in your department, to see the unusual behaviour of those around you. Just the statement of "We haven't had a good ripper in a while." is not enough to label that person as a fire bug. If you listened to that alone, a lot of firefighters would stand accused as fire bugs. I have hung around our station and listened to the talk that is bandied around, and have heard the the above quote. And not once did any of the guys on the department start a fire. (That I know of, and we are a small town) You are a tight knit group, and when a newbie comes in, I would assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you would be naturally suspicious of him/her, until they proved themselves to you. Of course in the bigger departments, that may be a little more difficult, but, you still have to work together. All in all, the background checks, the psycological checks, etc., are a good thing, and should be done, but, in the end, listen to your gut feelings. You have all been in the fire service for what I believe (at least from what I've read here) for a number of years, and you know and trust your members. If you suspect that one of your own is displaying behaviour that you are uncomfortable with, report it immeadiatly. If you suddenly have an increase in fires, report it immeadiatly, especially if you suspect one of your own doing it. But, don't just rely on the statement that you haven't had a good ripper in a while, then it becomes a witch hunt.

Forum Member

One of the things that is being ignored here is that we are dealing with people. People will be attracted to a field in which they find what they want out of life.

Youth organizations have a very hard time weeding out child molesters because they are frequently the best leaders. In spite of their best efforts, the Boy Scouts, YMCA and church youth organizations find new ones every year.

Financial organizations have a hard time with those that embezzle because they are frequently the most reliable, trustworthy, long-term members of the staff. No one wants to believe that Old Joe could have taken the missing loot.

Fire organizations have to deal with fire setters. It's not a volunteer issue. Approximately 90% of the FF in the USA are volunteers, it's to be expected that 90% of the nuts are also volunteers.

Many of the steps previously mentioned are good ideas. Let's be real though and understand that many of the nuts that will do this do not have a record until they are caught.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Cyra6182:

Please know that I don't consider individuals that speak of fires as firebugs (not looking to go on a witch hunt). My point is that frequent talk of the upcoming "Big One" could cause the big one to happen at the hands of the wrong listening ears. You raise good points though.

Jim M.:

I agree. What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on stiffening punishments?

Bottom line: This is a problem that should be addressed on a national level by the leaders in our field. Give us training on the subject...this issue is just as important as R.I.T., Haz-Mat or structural firefighting, in my opinion. Just as the Catholic church is being forced to deal with internal issues (as they should), we should do whatever it takes to stop this plague that darkens our image. If we don't act to police our own, the media will see to it that we are forced to.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default RE: The Ultimate Betrayal

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/1999legis.html

In New York, A law has been passed to have new Fire Department Applicants' checked for Arson Convictions. (See Above Link).
    I'm fairly certain other States have this also, and if not are thinking about this sort of Legislation.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Before I begin to speak again on this subject, let me state two things. One, I have been a volunteer fire fighter for 26 years. SEcondly, during my 16 year stint as a full-time fire investigator for a law enforcement agency, my agency has have arrested 38 volunteer fire fighters for arson. I got number 38 today. I believe that my background in this area will allow me to speak with authority.

First, it would be naive to think that criminal history checks, psych tests and polygraph tests could weed out every potential arsonist. But I can tell you this...there is an absolute psychological profile to fire fighters who have a propensity for firesetting. If you want more info on this subject, get a copy of a research paper that was published several years ago by Tim Huff, a criinal profiler with the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime. The paper was published in the IAFC publication. I now the LRC at the NFA has it. He very clearly puts forht the profile of these guys. I can tell you that I have locked up male and female, black and white and old and young fire fighters for arson. The psych profile fits to a tee. Of course it won't be 100% effective, but it is better than the masterful job that most VFD do of doing nothing.

Show of hands...how many people believe that a fire fighter begins to set fires when he joins the FD? If you do, your dreaming. That is why a polygrpah exam would also work in assisting us in weeding these morons out. In NJ, polygraphs are illegal for pre-employment purposes, but I am certain they work in other jurisdictions.

I am not certain that therre is a connection to fire fighter arsonists and bad cops. Bad cops are plain unadulterated criminals. Fire fighter arsonists are usually head cases that commit criminal behavior.

The real question is why does this problem continue to exist? My attitude is that it is because the vol. fire service refuses to do anyhting about it. There are departments that I have encountered that actually enjoy the work when they have had an arsonist running around and didn't want it to stop. I am also familiar with a department who, up until a few years ago, unofficially required a new member to set a fire before he could be considered for full membership.

What do any of the major fire organizations do about this problem? Nothing. My correspondence to the IAFC went unanswered. I am under the impression that the State of Pennsylvania has considered this issue so serious that it hs formed a blue ribbon panel to study the problem. The state of Delaware has included a lesson on this problem in their FFI class. The IAFC produced a short video on this problem several years ago. But these are all small efforts. There is no national approach to the problem.

And Fric, I don't know who you are (or care to know) but I am sure that you would agree that there is a major difference to submitting information on an official application in order to have a background check completed than to give a SS number to some moron on the Internet.

MembersZone Subscriber

From the Morristown Daily Record 04/11/2002

Fireman charged with setting fire in Florham Park

By Darran A. Simon, Daily Record

FLORHAM PARK ó A volunteer assistant fire chief was charged Tuesday with setting a small fire in the insurance company where he worked, police said Wednesday.

Mark Toscano of the Oxford Volunteer Fire Department in Warren County was charged Tuesday afternoon after he allegedly set a fire that morning in a second-floor file room at the One Beacon Insurance Co., said Sgt. Jeffrey Paul, a spokesperson with the Morris County Prosecutorís Office.

There was moderate damage to the file room, and no one was injured, Paul said. Toscano voluntarily came to the Florham Park Police Department for an interview at the request of police. He was arrested at the department around 3:30 p.m., Paul said.

The fire was reported within 10 minutes of being set, Paul said.

An employee quickly extinguished the fire with a hand-held fire extinguisher, police and fire officials said.

Officials would not comment on a motive or how the fire was started.

Toscano, an Oxford resident, is employed as a senior underwriter in the Boston-based companyís metro regional office on 83 Hanover Road. Company officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Toscano, 39, was released Tuesday on $10,000 bail set by Florham Park Municipal Court Judge Lawrence Willner, under the condition that he have no contact with the insurance company.

"No comment whatsoever," Toscano said when reached at his home Wednesday night.

A joint investigation by the Morris County Prosecutorís Office Arson Unit and the Florham Park Police Department resulted in Toscanoís arrest, said Joseph Devine, chief of investigations for the Morris County Prosecutor's Office. "The fire was determined to have been incendiary in nature," Devine said.

Another insurance company employee reported the fire around 8:45 a.m., Paul said.

Dale Bulmer, chief of the 25-member Oxford Volunteer Fire Department, said Wednesday night that Toscano took a leave of absence from the unit for personal reasons last week. Toscano, the volunteer departmentís only assistant chief, has been a member for five to six years. He was elected as assistant fire chief two years ago, Bulmer said.

Bulmer declined to offer any additional comment.

Alban Kellogg, Florham Park deputy fire chief and town fire inspector, was at the scene three to four minutes after the call came in and reported a smoke condition, said Florham Park fire Chief Robert Young. Five minutes after Kellogg arrived, the first engine was on the scene

Thread Information