Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Riding Assignments

My department is considering making preassigned tool and job assignments for each seat on our two engines. We are a paid on call dept. But during the day the station is staffed with three firefighters. Does any other paid on call or vol. dept use this system?. If so what are the assignments and how well does it work.
    Thank's for any help.

Be Safe!

We are implementing assignments also. Like yours we are a paid on call department. So as you probably well know, you won't always get the same crew at every call. The one thing that we did was to consider the level of ability within our department personnel( basically who was best suited for a particular assignment or level of training). In light of that, we decided that the officer of the responding piece of apparatus would assess who they had for a crew and assign duties accordingly enroute. This works okay for a 6+ crew cab, but on our older pieces we may actually have to "hand pick" our crew depending on the call because of being limited to two jump seats. Fortunately this hasn't come to pass yet. The biggest hitch I see is that once those assignments are in place, whomever sits in that seat MUST be capable of doing the job. Being a call department, even though we have a core of capable people, our experience has been that the people you get may not be up to the task.
    Lt. Dave Parker
    Meredith Fire Department
    Meredith, NH

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of a department near me that does this in their rescue truck, but I'm not sure how they like it. All I know is that I thought it was a pretty good idea.... No question asked, sit there and you already know you assisgnement.
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Thread Information