Sr. Information Officer

Question Radio interference

What does your department do about unlicensed radio traffic on your frequencies?

We use numerous frequencies that are allocated "Forestry Conservation" by the FCC. Over the past few years, we have had an influx of interference from NYC taxi companies, courier services and
    even a police agency from another state. It's difficult to track down the source of the taxi interference...we've even had amatuer radio clubs use directional antennas to find the location.

We can't do anything about the police agency....the FCC granted them a license on a "forestry conservation" channel. But the taxi cabs...well, I'm told the FCC won't pursue the matter.

Anyone have to deal with this sort of problem?
    (We do have PL tones....but as soon as the carrier opens, all bets are off)

Last edited by NJFFSA16; 04-06-2002 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

My department has run into this. However, not on your scale. A private member of the community started up his own private S&R society. Sure, he is a registered society and all, but the provinceís emergency program does not recognize him. Long story short, he has sunk a bunch of money into this "Emergency Communications" Van that he has parked in his driveway (I have yet to ever see it used for "calls" or whatever he calls them). Anyway, we know for a fact that he has our department frequencies set up on this unitís radio. On a few odd occasions he has transmitted on it. We figure he is monitoring it and forgets to change when he transmits. He has about 5 radio antenna on his house and carries a truckload of S&R gear in his private vehicle, even had fancy plates made up to identify his car and truck like firefighter plates (I give him the rank of hoople master).

I believe we have sent him a few letters warning him about transmitting on our frequency. It hasnít happened for about a year now. We didnít report him to any government agency, and from the sounds of it, they will not help you.

My only advice is to keep on the FCC, eventually you will find someone that cares enough to help. (not everyone in the government is cold hearted, ya, I know it is hard to believe, but it is true).

Good luck.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information