Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Iaff Member And Vol. Fire Fighter

I AM A FULL TIME FIREFIGHER AND MEMBER OF THE IAFF.
    ALSO I AM A MEMBER OF A VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY IN WHICH
    I STARTED AS A JUNIOR F/F MANY YEARS AGO.I WORK AS A FEDERAL
    FIREFIGHTER(RANK:LT) 80 MILES AWAY FROM MY HOME AND HAVE TRIED
    A FEW TIMES TO GET A PAID JOB CLOSER TO HOME BUT HAVE TOO MANY
    YEARS OF FEDERAL SERVICE TO GIVE UP.I HAVE BEEN ALWAYS IN SUPPORT OF BOTH PAID & VOL. MY COMMUNITY CANNOT AFFORD A FULL TIME F/F BUT THE COMMUNITY NEXT TO ME HAS 3 FULL TIME F/F AND ARE IAFF. I SEEMS THAT THESE 3 MEMBERS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME BEING A FUL TIME F/F AND A
    VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT FIRE CHIEF. SOME PROBLEMS STARTED TO ARISE AFTER
    THEIR PROBATIONARY PERIOD WAS UP AND I AS A IAFF MEMBER DIDN'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN.I HAVE HAD A LITTLE PART IN HELPING THEM GET THEIR
    IAFF CHARTER STARTED,I TOLD THEM THEY NEED REPRESENTATION TO PROTECT THEM MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WOULD COME BACK TO HAUNT ME LATER. THEY FILED A CHARGES ON ME THROUGH THE IAFF AND SAID THAT MYSELF AND MY FIRE CO. WAS A RIVAL ORGANIZATION AND I WAS HEADING UP MEMBERS OF MY FIRE CO.TO HELP ELIMATE THEIR JOBS.(NOT TRUE) THERE IS TO MANY THINGS TO EXPLAIN IN HERE,BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH COMPUTER SPACE HA.HA. I AM PROUD OF BOTH ORGANIZATIONS I BELONG TO AND WILL NOT GIVE UP EITHER.I WANT TO KNOW HOW SOME OF YOU OUT THERE LIKE ME THAT ARE BOTH PAID AND VOL. I THOUGHT "BROTHERS" AREN'T TO FILE CHARGES ON ANOTHER "BROTHER".THE IAFF DISMISSED THE CHARGES ON ME
    AND KNOW 6 MONTHS LATER IT'S COMING UP AGAIN AND I HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM ANY NEWSPAPER COMMENTS OR DOING ANYTHING CIVIL AGAINST THEM. BUT
    THEY DON'T WANT THIS TO DROP.HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT FELLOW F/F STIRRING THE%$#@ UP IN THE IAFF AND VOL.WE ALL ARE HEAR TO DO A JOB AND STAY SAFE DOING THIS. THEIR JOB TITLE IS FIRE DRIVER NOT EVEN A F/F THEY DON'T DO ANY FIREFIGHTING ACTIVITY BUT DRIVE.I AM NOT KNOCKING DRIVERS/ENGINEERS BUT I WAS ABLE TO PROGRESS IN BOTH ORGANIZATIONS AND GET PROMOTIONS.THEY WON'T MOVE UP AT ALL.I CONTINUE
    TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION IN FIREFIGHTING AND THEY DO NOT.I GUESS I HAVE THE BEST OF TWO WORLDS. I HOPE MORE F/F OUT THERE HAVE THE SAME FEELINGS I HAVE AND NEED HELP IN STOPPING SO CALLED "BROTHERS" FROM HURTING MORE F/F IN IAFF AND THE VOLUNTEERS. I HAVE NEVER FORGOT WHERE I CAME FROM.WITH 19YRS CONTINOUS SERVICE IN THE VOLUNTEERS,6 YRS AIR FORCE FIRE DEPT. AND 10 YRS CONTINUOUS FEDERAL FIRE FIGHTER AND 10 MEMBER OF IAFF.THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME READING MY NOVEL I HOPE SOME F/F OUT THERE RESPOND TO THIS.STAY SAFE!! JIM FROM PENNSYLVANIA

I am not going to delve into my opinions on the subject but there appears to be problems in Prince Georges County, MD with respect to Union/Volunteer issues. Here is their forums maybe you can get a response there. ForumForums

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

If the community ( city, town, or township) doesn't have any paid FF's then you aren't violating any IAFF rules. However if a co. within the community has paid FF's then you are. The way you present it is that the 3 "brothers" are from another municipality. If this is the case then it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS! However if I were you, I wouldn't go mutual aid because this can be seen as conflict of interest and these 3 as****** could have grounds for a charge. I would also see a lawyer about the possibility of legal action down the road, it doesn't seem like they'll give up. It seems like because they are now IAFF that they want to flex and let everyone know it.

Thread Information