Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Living near the station...

OK - the responses to the "Response time to station" thread got me thinking...

It seemed to me a lot of those that posted live very close to the station. Just curious: was this a primary consideration when you selected where to live? Has anyone purposely moved when they became a vollie to be closer to the station? There have to be some interesting stories here that I'd like to hear...

No. In fact when our present station was built it was farther from my house than the old one(half mile as to a quarter of a mile). About the only factor in it was that was the station/company I joined as aposed to one across town.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

I live 6 miles from my station, and am now considering moving closer. We have enough guys in town to get trucks out the door, so that is not an issue. The advatage I have is I can calm down and listed to dispatch a get a good picture. As I get closer to town I will make the decision to go the the station, or go to the scene.
    Stay Safe/Stay Low Go 8 Car Go

When I first started I lived on the other side of town from where my station is & there is only one way to get to it. About a year ago I had the chance to move house & the one I settled on was at the back of the fire station. Had it not been available, I would have moved anyway but not been as closed as I would have liked to be. I also have the advantage of not having run a car just becasue I am on call.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

For most of our responders, it wasn't a case of moving close to the station. When we built the station, the location was a key element in the process. We wanted and ended up building the station central to our population. So instead of having a station on one side of the town or the other, it's right in the middle, within 3 to 5 minutes response time of 99% of our volunteers even if they never break 55MPH responding to the station. Evening calls with most people off work but still not in bed, first out rolls in under 4 minutes on average. That's the plus for us seeing that the scene could be as much as 20 miles away to the outer edges of our response district.
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

I live a block and a half from the station. We looked for a house in an area with a department I could join and fell in love with this house. It was just a bonus that it's so close to the station.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Well, when I moved to my house which sets on
    the same property as the station it was because
    our old chief who lived here moved to another town.
    Most of our firefighters live in town about 8 miles
    away. So we needed someone to live close to the station
    to get trucks out asap and to help answer the fire phone.
    Keep safe.

I live about 200 yards from my main house when I was looking to buy a house I was not in the fire service yet and I always said once I settle down I was going to join the Fire Dept. when the real estate person showed me the property near the Fire house I was sold.
    AJM108
    Captain Ridge Fire Dept.
    Company One

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not far away

I moved close to my fire hall, but it was mostly because that's where all of the good apartment complexes where. I was mostly an added bonus to live that close. Now I get to make the second vehicle. Before, I mostly stayed at the station and waited for the crews to get back from the call.
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

No actually home location had nothing to do with choosing to join. Oddly enough the guy I bought from was a member of the hall, and a fellow serviceman that I had met through the Navy base I work at. When he got posted to England, I bought the house and found that not only had I bought a house, but and "inherited" his place in the station too. Seems there is an unwritten rule in the district that says if you move into the home of an outgoing member then by proxy you are a new member to the station. I don't know if that would hold water for most people, but being a soldier and sailor it just seemed to be a natural progression. Not withstanding the fact that the Chief seemed to be visiting each time my wife and I came to view the house, and everytime I met someone new in the trailer park, he or she would "welcome" me to the hall. Hmmm see a pattern there? And that was before I had even moved in!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Default Time to the Station

I am 5 miles from my station it takes me on the avg of 5 mins to get there. you can do the math it all depends on the time of year and day.
    Fire Fighter Justin Koshar

MembersZone Subscriber

I live about 100' from the station. When I first joined i live around the conor from the station. Moved in to the center of town didn't like to have to drive to the station. When it came time to buy a house i got one that was close so now i fall out of bed and in the front seat of truck.

Thread Information