Forum Member

Default Putting 1 and 1 together....

After years of responding to motor vehicle accidents I have found that by looking at debris patterns, skid marks, tracks in gravel, etc etc, it has become quite easy to put together the path a vehicle took during the accident.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the most interesting or unique accident that you have come across.

One that comes to mind was a south bound Dodge Caravan on Highway 1, crossed over the centre line and hit the concrete barrier on the North Bound side. It hit the barrier with such force that it literally blew three of them out and down the side of the mountain. These barriers only weight about 2500 lbs each. After hitting it the first time, it careened out onto the road and spun back into the barriers a little further down, hitting them with the rear of the vehicle. This impact moved two of them about 6-8 inches out of alignment. Bouncing off the barriers for the second time, the van did one complete roll over, landing on its' passanger side. In this position, it slid about 150 feet further down the highway before rolling again onto its’ wheels as it came to a stop.

Extrication was not required. BCAS (British Columbia Ambulance Service) was on scene about 30 seconds before us and did the old “grab and go” on the driver, who was the only occupant. He was treated for minor injuries and released from Hospital the next day.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

I have two of these, that I can remember. In the first one a passenger car with driver only left the roadway, and hit a culvert. This sent the car airborn for approx. 20', the car then came down on a pipe fence with a 2 1/2" top pipe, from there it slid another 20 or so feet sideways down the top of this pipe fence. The car the impacted a large tree with the drivers side fender at the area just infront of the A-post. The car ended up 180* from it's original direction of travel, sitting at a 45* angle (drivers side down), hanging off the fence by the tire of one wheel. It took close to 45 minutes to free the female driver, who was pinned by the dash, and sustained a pelvic Fx. I'll post pics of this one in a few days.

I pulled up to this second one on my way to work. I guess it had just happened as there was still corn starch from the air bags in the air. Anyway this one was a head on between a passenger car, and one of those trash trucks with the forks. My approach to the car was from the drivers side, which was undamaged. As I did a quick 360 of the car I noticed that the PS was cut from front to back where the doors meet the roof line, with a passenger inside that appeared to have decreased mentation. Looking farther down the road I could see the trash truck on it's side approx. 150-200 yards away. Seing that the driver appeared to be out and walking around I turned my attention back to the altered passanger. He didn't know what happened, where he was, or what was going on. I quicky game him a cat-1 designation, and requested air Txport. As the calvarly arrived he became more allert, and I ended up finding out that he was asleep when the accident occured. He along with the driver of his vehicle where un-injured. The driver of the truck ended up having a head injury and was the one who got the flight to the ER.
    All comments are the opinion of the author, and not of any service they are a member of.

Forum Member

The one I still can't figure out is a call where we had an intersection collision where the two vehicles involved ended up driver's door to driver's door. When I got on the scene, I found a passenger from the one vehicle trapped from the waist up, laying on her back under the other vehicle, with her waist and legs still in the driver's door of her car. She has NO visible injuries, A&O x3, not a mark to indicate that the other vehicle drove over her.

I am an traffic accident investigator as well as a firefighter... and I have racked my brains until it hurts trying to figure out how she got ejected in the collision and then wound up under the vehicle that hit her while she remained with her car.

Too wierd...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had several interesting MVA's.
    One was a male driver in a small 2 dr car, highly intoxicated. Missed a corner at nearly 100 mph, hit the ditch and culvert and went airborne. He cleared a 5 ft steal fence and was stuck in a tree 8 ft off the ground until we arrived. We later found out he had wanted to commit suicide.
    One of the worst accidents we had was a DUI (imagine that). The drunk driver of a jeep SUV was heading north bound at a high rate of speed he crossed the center line hitting a car head on. The jeep went over the top of the car, and landed behind it. The passenger from the jeep was ejected (still alive), he landed in the middle of the hwy and was ran over be a semi truck ad trailer. The passenger from the jeep and the driver of the car were both killed, the drunk driver walked away (rather was lead in handcuffs) away. It took 45 minutes to remove the driver of the car from the heap of metal that was once his car.

Default MVAs

I have got another two. The first is annoying because all in the vehicle were drunk. Two were deceases and two were alive but injured.
    The circumstances were an single vehicle MVA at very high speed (police estimate 190km/h) the vehicle had lost control at an off camber sweeping corner and the vehicle had hit a retaining wall causing it to roll. The vehicle came to rest 160 metres down the road on its wheels facing sideways across three lanes of traffic.
    On arrival there were no occupants in the vehicle but we nearly ran over the first body which was 48 metres from the wreck and in the middle of the road (0300 call time).
    The second body was nine metres from the wreck. A live but injured female pt was abuot five metres from the wreck and had sustained a fractures pelvis when she hit the armco railing and a vagina to belly button gash when she landed in the bush.
    The final pt was grazed down to the bone on one arm and bleeding from the head. He was the only px wearing a seatbelt (compulsary in Australia) and had self extricated. But a taxi driver saw him exit the vehicle via the rear pax door (left hand side) so he wasn't driving. But the police inform me that they still have not ascertained who was driving because everyone is blaming the dead guys although the evidence seems to indicate that the female was driving (seat position, mirror position). Just annoying that no-one wears the rap.
    The second one has a happier ending. Two vehicle MVA car vs Semi. the car failed to give way and the semi rolled right over the top, shearing the car off at the fire wall. Two very shaken but uninjured female teenagers walked away from the wreck. I reckon it must have been a wild old ride in the passengers seat. Mav

Here's one from a few summers ago. Dispatched in the wee hours to assist PD with an entrapment, initially reported as non-injury. A gentleman in his new Ford pickup lost control after getting airborne over the railroad crossing and slid sideways into a power pole(60 in a 35 mph). He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected through his open side window, saving him fom being pinned by the dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Only had 2 beers

The alert and oriented driver didn't want medical aid, only to be released. So with our medic holding him in from the passenger side of the cab, we spread the door open at the latch and forced the seat to the rear by spreading between the lower A pillar and the seat. This gave enough room to reach in and remove his mangled leg from behind the pedals. We layed him back on the gurney, and after taking one look at his leg he agreed a trip to the ER would probably be a good thing after all. Here's a pic of his truck the next day:

Forum Member

For pictures of the accident that drkblram was refering to Click here and scroll to the 03/23/02 accident pictures. It was one hell of an impact!
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Working with a SAR coordination centre, you would figure that all our cases would involve marine, air or ground searches for lost hikers, right?

Well we also assist in coordination of BCAS and occiasionally provide transport for the to remote island locations. We had one such case just over a year ago...

EHS 911 call to some little island in Johnston Strait near Port Hardy, Vancouver Island, single car MVA, single male pt. (ya ok, sure) Anyway EHS requests for Coast Guard transport to the site.

They arrive on scene to find that yep, single car MVA, single male pt, only slight injuires. He refuses treatment and becomes a bit beligerent, no biggy right.

Well investigation of the accident itself shows that he failed to negotiate a corner in the road - he was doing an estimated 190kph!!! Ran into the ditch and struck a tree almost head on. The gentleman was very intoxicated and managed to self extricate himself while waiting for assistance.

Fortunately he was the sole occupant and did not receive any life threatening injuries.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Many moons ago when I was with an ambulance service I had one similar to one of ramseycl's. We had a gentleman, driving a little too fast with an above normal blood alcohol - he missed a curve that was at a drop off. His full size pickup was folded tight (at the roof) around a tree approximately 30 feet in the air. That's one to roll up on and scratch your head. Given the lack of skid marks and condition of this truck that was meeting bumper to bumper they estimated it was far in excess of the speed limit.

Some well meaning but not very bright individual who made her living as an RN climbed up the tree (no kidding) and was able to stick a hand in and confirm a lack of pulse in the driver. We waited for a wrecker who's operator also climbed up, hooked on to either end of the truck and unfolded it from the tree. It was really ugly to see, especially when he let it drop...but what could you do without a crane? At least it was 2 am and we didn't have any bystanders.
    Last edited by NCRSQ751; 06-04-2002 at 02:11 PM.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

We had an attempted tree-dweller also.

This pickup left the road at the point where I am standing taking the picture, hit the large tree ABOVE the break point to the Firefighters left, and landed high-centered on a stack of logs being prepared for the lumber mill.
    www.rescue42.com

Forum Member

We had to perch on the logs down hill (about 10 feet off the ground) to extricate.

Behind the seat; a briefcase with cocaine, money, and a loaded handgun! He survived (barely).

Forum Member

This is from my "truth is stranger than fiction" file. This driver left the road, crossed a ditch airborn, and impacted the ditchbank, which tore his car in half and sent him tumbling through a field.

Note the entire chassis and motor laying upside down next to the body (complete with doors, hood, and roll-bars).

Forum Member

I popped the driver's door with the Halligan and assisted the UNHURT driver from his vehicle!

The chassis had actually ripped the pedals from under his feet and through the floorboard when it went it's own way.

Sometimes the truth IS stranger than fiction...

Tim
    www.rescue42.com

IACOJ BOD

Try a head on MVA on a blind corner.

1 x Harley Davidson head on with a Kawasaki 1100 motorbike.

3 victims, 6 broken legs, 6 broken arms, heaps of ribs, and 3 pelvis breaks.

ok, would the person in the most pain just blink twice.

the moron on the Kawasaki that caused it tokk 5 litres of fluids to stabilise before air transporting out of there.

the harley was cut in two and both looked like they had been through a compactor.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

FIGJAM

A neighbouring rescue brigade had two cars drag racing down a narrow road. At the end of the road is a T-intersection.

First cars fails to stop and gets airborne through the armoco railing landing on it roof, with the wheels up on the air. The second car also failed to stop and also got airborne and landed wheels down on top of the other car, perfectly balanced!
    From memory there was one deceased, not sure about entrapment or other details....
    Luke

Thread Information