Question LED warning lights

I have been looking at new lights lately and am very interested in the new LED'S. If any of you have seen or used these in lightbars or directional lights I would be interested in your opinion on these.

Be safe
    D308

I'm not sure about full LED lightbar setups ... but I've seen several state trooper undercover units with LEDs and honestly didn't think they were bright enough in direct sunlight. I notice more and more car companies are switching over to them for brake lights etc, and they seem to be adequate or even a little better than standard bulb/lense. Just not real sure yet for response lighting. Here in Alaska with the occasional white-out conditions, I'm very preferential towards strobe heads over anything else.
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

LED Lights are good and have their place. Stop tail turn. and on Traffic advisores. I am not totaly sold on them as an all position warning light.

there are two things that I have seemed to notice and have heard this comment on them.

1) the sun seems to wash them out in bright sunlight.

2) if you are not pretty much straight on in veiwing them they are not as bright.

they do have advantages of no flasher needed and muti flash patterns, But they is costly

Forum Member

Default LED Lights

See this thread:
    LED Lightbars on Apparatus?
    See You At The Big One

MembersZone Subscriber

2 words, LOVE EM! Have them on the engines and should have a few on the new ladder. We use them on the front, and above the rear wheel well. I find them to be plenty bright during the day, and very effective at night withouth the blinding effects of strobes. We also have 2 in the rear that are yellow. Use them in conjunction with a few strobes, a good rotator lightbar and they are very effective.
    I have also seen a LED lightbar, and I have to say, I always favored the MX7000 all light series, but that bar takes the cake. It was full daylight during the summer, and not only did I see the amber sections but also the red and I was almost a good 1 1/2 miles away. The patterns really help to make the vehicle stand out.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Forum Member

As for some of the LEDs not being visible as well, there are several options, apparently, out there to make the lights more or less effective, depending upon need. With the 911EP products, there are many different laminators and lenses that widen the light beam for more angular visibility. I like them and think that if they are washed out by the sun it is no more likely to happen than with the normal strobes or halogen lights on units now. As for the price, well, like it was said, the more that are bought, of any color, the lower the costs become.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Why would they be replacing stop lights with leds over the older halogen version if they wash out during the day? I think they show up better, but i have not seen an led warning light yet, and im hoping i can see one in person eventualy. i think that they will be very popular after the price works its way down.

I pulled my strobe dash light in favor of a LED light. Unbelievably bright( even in direct sun), no flashback, and less than an amp in draw. Other than the price of retrofitting, I can't see how you could go wrong.

Default LED dash light

Quint1driver (and anyone else with input), do you use your dash LED solo or in conjunction with other warning lights? I am looking at the dash LEDs, like the 911EP or Able2 versions, and am wondering how THEY clear traffic. Blue ones, specifically. People post that they clear traffic well with their LED dash light and all-light MX7000 with an Edge over it and wig-wags and corner strobes and dual Q's. But I am thinking about getting JUST an LED dash light and am looking for feedback. Thanks!

We`re planning on getting a lot of LED`s on our new rig, they seem to work pretty well. My Dad got an LED dashlight when he outfitted his new chief`s vehicle. So far we`ve been happy with it, though I wish it was a bit brighter during the day. Our assistant chief bought the same thing, and decided to move that to the rear of his car when he got his hands on a new type of LED. The lights are bigger or something, but these things are bright as the sun. They flash just like strobes, and I swear a blind person could see them.

Forum Member

One thing that you guys are missing is this, are the lights approved for the use?? We were looking into using the 911EP bar on our new brush truck, until I found out that not only is it not NFPA (not a big deal for this truck), but it's also not even SAE certified. Does this make a difference??? I don't know. Just be cautious of what you buy.

That being said, I have a 911EP LS15 on order for my personal vehicle, as far as I'm concerned these are the best LED's on the market, both in brightness day and night and in the width of the pattern.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

The entire secondary warning system on our new tanker is LED and we wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING!

this gives an ok view of where they are located (all are whelen products)

There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

MembersZone Subscriber

The flashers on the bodies of FDNY's new rescues from Saulsbury are LED and these are the only ones I've seen. They were hard to see from an angle but they seem to be more recessed than the tanker's in the picture above, so that might explain it.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

We have LED's installed on new engine on the lower portion of the engine for direction coverage and for emergency lighting coverage and these LED's seem to work out just fine even in the brightest of lights.
    After getting the new engine the PD took in a new cruiser, and the chief and Lt who are also members of the FD put on a new 911EP light bar. This light bar is probably the best lighting system I have seen and the height lighting is fantastic compared to larger bars, in fact it looks like a luggage rack because there is not filtration for the lights to go thru, it is pure clear barred. testing it compared to their halogen light bar in high sunlight, the LED out performed that other bar, and in fact the further away from the bar the bigger the pattern seemed to get, although there was nothing wrong with the close pattern, and with so many available flashing patterns it was a no brainer for them to use, and for cost involvement, it was cheaper.

KEEP DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default LED

It seems to me that a lot of the early generation of LED's were very directional, so if you saw them in sunlight at less than their optimal viewing angle they may have seemed quite dim. The newest generation of LEDs are much brighter, are refocused, and/or have diffusers built in which spread the light over a much wider arc then older ones. I have seen an ambulance from a neighboring town with all LED cube lights on the front (6X8 inch or so) and from a mile out I thought it was strobes, as it grew closer it did appear to loose brightness as I could begin to pick out individual lights in the matrix, not really dissapointing until less than a hundred feet away and about a 30 degree viewing angle, although it was still quite bright. One of my chiefs also uses a visor mounted LED light in his POV, in double flash mode you'd be hard pressed to not say it was strobes from a distance.

Default Baltimore City and LED's

I don't know if Baltimore City is switching to an all LED layout on the engines and medic units but it seems that most of the newer ones do have the LED's. This picture was taken at about 7PM from about 100 yds away. As I was walking up to the scene (rollover MVC) the LED's were very bright. It definitely seems to work pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We use LED lighting for all the secondary lighting on our new ambulance, they are really nice for a couple reasons, you don't have to replace any bulbs for a long time. also, in my opinion they are more visable. Now when we are talking about light bars, we use the whelen advantedge lightbar with the all strobe package, it's the best I can think of.

Forum Member

Default LEDs in poor vis

Strobes are great, as long as you don't have to drive in the fog or snow with them on, especially white ones. Does anyone have any experiance with LEDs in the fog? I wonder how much flash back you get and how they penetrate.

Fire 304, I must agree. We had white strobes on the front of our box and they would blind you and made me sick when it was at night or in the fog or snow and even worse if you combined any of the three. I appreciate the input from everyone is giving please keep it coming

Be safe and Thanks
    D308

The LED's have very low flashback in fog and snow. We have four grill mounted led panels. The 3 white strobes we use on the Whelen Advantedge front lightbar have severe flashback, but Excellance Inc. installs a clear light cut-off switch, it cuts off all of the clear lights on the exterior of the unit(excluding the headlights, fog lights, and other essential lighting.) leaving only you red strobes. It's great for fog, snow, rain, and Landing Zones for a medi-vac.

-Medic
    Last edited by medic3256; 06-16-2002 at 09:50 PM.

Forum Member

We're in the process of writing the specs for bid on a new box. I'm trying to push for the LEDs for a multitude of reasons but I think I will lose out to the almighty dollar. Kind of bummed about it but what are you going to do.

I have noticed a wide variety of effects from manufacturer to manufacturer about how effective their LEDs are. I think it involves a lot of research to get the best set of LEDs out there for your rig.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default White cutouts

Our rescues are set up so the Primary/Secondary switch turns off all the white strobes in secondary mode.

medic3256, That is true. Our 1993 McCoy Miller also had a secondary mode that turned off the white strobes it came in handy. Thanks for the responce.
    D308

Thumbs up

I have Sho-me LED light in my car. Its a very good little light work good day or night.You will pay a little more for a LED but it worth the moeny.
    live free or die

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Where is a good place to look for dash-mount LED lights? Let me know how to get ahold of any catalogs you might mention also...

Thread Information