Default Question about driving to fire station to a call...

Heres my question. I've been told a variety of awnsers.. Maybe someone can straighten this out for me...

I have a blue highly visible strobe light on my car that I turn on when I drive to the fire hall when we get a call. I also turn on my 4 way flashers.

Question is.. Am I allowed to go over the speed limit as long as I do not endanger someone else? and what other things could I do to get to the firehall quicker on calls? -Justin

Please do not try to use the driving portion of your response to get to the station quicker. Start with having a better response time getting to your car. Make up the time getting out the door, not on the road. Responding to and returing from calls injures and kills to many FF's (and civilians) each year. Be smart & be safe.

Default ...and one other thing...

Your turn signals should be used to let other drivers know your intentions - having the 4-ways on negates that.

You really shouldn't be speeding to a call, but God knows most of us go at least slightly above the posted speed limit. Remember, if Johnny Public sees a car speeding down the road he's just gonna say, "Someone's speeding again. I can't do anything." But if he sees a car with a blue light flashing speeding down the road he's gonna say, "That's a firefighter speeding. I'm gonna call the Chief and get that person in trouble." The blue light, at least in Connecticut, gives you no special privileges. It is only a courtesy light, meaning no one HAS to pull over for you but SHOULD. You can't break any of the rules of the road. You can only pass if the car comes to a stop at the side of the road and no oncoming traffic is there. I also must agree with the four ways not being used. How is the person ahead or behind you supposed to know if you're turning if you have the four ways on? Use your judgement and get to the scene safe, not in a body bag.

Anthony D. Ruggiero
    Explorer Captain/EMT-B
    Windsor Locks Fire Department Explorer Post 50
    Windsor Locks, Connecticut

District Chief

Excellent Post WLFDtr12

JrChief...the best thing you can do is take out the lights and go the normal speed to the station. Again...your 4-ways are supposed to be used for EMERGENCY STOPPING....Not responding

They are a magnet for trouble. You turn them on and then become invincible. Regardless of what you think..or say...you will speed. Most laws have terminology like "with due regard" (Virginia). You are allowed to proceed with due regard to the safety of others. But that only relates to "emergency Vehicles", which your private car IS NOT! The lights you are allowed to have are a courtesy and are there to let people know you are a firefighter and that there is an emergency. To my knowledge no state "allows" a person in a private vehicle to violate any laws when "responding to the station for a call."

Take it from someone who has been in the service for 30 years and started as a junior. The lights are trouble. Learn from others mistakes....I will admit that I used to "push the envelope" when going to the station...and was stopped several times during my years by police and once was even ticketed. So...learn from my mistakes....dont speed.

Do things like keep your minitor on monitor and that way you know before the tones hit. Keep slip on shoes by the door and your keys too. Park your car to face the road or the direction you will have to go.

It is good to see a very responsible post by a junior member. Good luck and be safe.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs down The need to speed?

One of our residents that lived on a street near the firehouse had apparently experienced enough of "speeding" fireman. After repeated complaints, directly to the Chief, she was not satisfied with the lack of results. The solution, although she never admitted it was premeditated, was to roll an empty baby carriage into the street as one of the fireman approached. The driver slammed on the brakes to avoid the carriage, but failed to stop and impacted it, knocking it over. Needless to say....he jumped out of the car to check on the occupant of the baby carriage....as the woman screamed obscenities at him.

Both the fireman and the woman were eventually taken to the police station.....along with the Deputy Chief, and after much discussion, the matter was settled quietly, with the fireman being suspended, he was responsible for damages to the baby carriage....and was told to issue a written apology to the woman. No summons was issued. She never did admit that the event had been staged, however, it was discerned by the police that this was the case.

Still feel the need to speed? A mother could be lurking in your neighborhood!

Although I do not condone the tactics, I gotta hand it to her....she definitely made her point!

Drive carefully and BE SAFE!

Thread Information