Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up Update on my hopes to join my department

A couple months ago I got the results of my physical for my volunteer fire department and found that I am cleared for administrative and light duty tasks. At least that is a start. At the time of the physical, which I had back in January, I was barely two weeks into a self-initiated physical conditioning program to both improve my overall health and get myself fit for active duty. I'll admit that I had been in relatively poor shape for many years, but after a typical workout at a gym, after over 2 months, I am hardly winded after the workout is done. Sometimes I do two workouts on a given day. These usually consist of treadmill, Stairmaster, stationary bike, and some weight work. I can't help but wonder if this effort will be partially for naught, as I have a strong desire to give something substantial back to the fire department that was there when I needed them (traffic accident). While administrative duties are a good start and up my alley, so to speak, my concern is that will I ever be fit for active duty with the physical conditioning program I now have under way, which is now reaching the three month milepost. I would like to know what any firefighter with similar experience, either paid or volunteer thinks about this. Thank you.
    Jim Mancuso

Forum Member

What was the reason you were not fit for active duty.

We have guys that are able to do only exterior stuff.
    They can also drive.

Keep it up, you'll get there eventually.

Forum Member

Smile Hopes to join my department

In reply to Mike W's question as to why I was not deemed fit for active duty at the time of my fire department physical in January,
    the fact that I am overweight may have something to do with it, but
    I am now 3 months into my physical conditioning program to remedy that as best as I can and get into much better physical shape. Even if confined to exterior work, I would be satisfied with that as well as administrative chores. The department was there when I needed them as a result of a traffic accident and I want to give something back to the Perry,NY fire department and feel that volunteering is the best way I can do it. It also seems to me that the County Health department is trying to stab me in the back any which way they can and I am not going to let it stop me. I am determined to give something back to this fire department any which way I can. The county bureaucrats in Wyoming County can go fly a kite as far as I am concerned. I am going to make it as a valued member of my hometome fire department come what may, bureaucrats be damned. I have a blue light for my pickup that actually works and would hate to have to get rid of it. Come my next fire department physical, I am looking forward to passing it for active duty in the Perry FD and rubbing their noses in it in the process. I have just begun to fight for this goal.
    Jim Mancuso

Forum Member

Good Luck, and I hope you make it.

Thread Information