Thread: Prom Night

Question Prom Night

Heads Up! Prom night is just around the corner for most of us. My department/post doesn't do much in the way of "Operation: Prom Night" type things, we mainly just sit around that night waiting for the tones to go out. What kind of prep does your department/post do? Do you even get to run MVAs?

Cody Winniford
    Captain- Explorer Post 200
    Talco Texas

Well since my town's high school rarely has the prom in town we dont set a prom detail. However everyother year ,if the school allows us, we do a mock MVA were we extricate the schools SADD members in front of most of the high school, and if they can have the helicopter from Medflight land. this is followed by a presentation during an assembly.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

Acouple of years back we did a extrication in front of the high school... and they are talking about doing it again. When they did it last time we had the mini pumper, ambulance, heavy rescue up there. They had starflight land and even got the funeral director of the town to bring up the herse for it to hall away a "dead" body. They feel as it was a great success.

But anyways back to the question we normally don't do any preps for it, or anything. Cause I know like last year we didn't run a single call for that whole weekend. So I mean, I think its just depends, and we don't have the resources to utilize a preparation system for it.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

Prom here is usually on the weekend of our fireschool. It's the saturday and were usually having a cookout at station 2 which is over the hill from the school. I think my dept has done one of those mock car wrecks for it before but we dont anymore. usually one of the Juniors on my dept rides to the prom with his date on the bridge of the engine.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Default Doing it tomorrow

Actually we have a mock "disaster" scene set for tomorrow. It's going to be a 2 car head-on/rollover. So far we have our dept and ambulance plus 2 other depts responding for it. I had one at my high school and am excited about this one.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

my prom is two days before a live fire exercise this year, and im currently trying to get my captain to lend me the rescue squad to take my date
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

Forum Member

hey hose jockey, good luck getting the rescue.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Here we don't do very much becasue usually the prom is held at places like the Queen Mary in Long Beach
    Although PD goes onto the High school campus and tells kids not drink and drive and they leave a wreked car to remind you what happens when you do

As far as I know they`ve never planned anything for prom nights, there`s like 5 or 6 all together in my town anyways. I wouldn`t be surprised if it comes up at May`s meeting, as a reminder to come to the firehouse for MVA`s, because we could get something a little worse then the usual fender bender. I know a lot of departments get some nasty accidents, we don`t get many at all and most are minor. Though the chances of an MVA on those nights are a bit greater, I think we`re pretty confident that we could handle whatever came about.

District Chief

In Virginia where I am originally from junior members can take their fire classes as part of their school curriculum in the 11th and 12th grade. They dub it the Fire Science Class. You actually get school credit as an elective for the classes.

Anyway....the Fire Science class for years has traditionally staged a mock accident in the parking lot at the entrance to the school each year for prom night preparation. They have done a very good job at it and it is also a local media event. Seems to be effective.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Our department has nothing special planned for prom night. The only thing that will probably happen is that the PD will have extra patrol up and we more than likely will have a lot of MVAs. I reckon that's how it works anyways...
    Lol, my redneck dialect's gonna get me in trouble one day, but I don't care!!!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Well my highschool's prom isn't until late may. We use to also do the mock MVA deal where we'd scatter empty beer cans in the back seat and dress ppl up. That was the good old days. When the older memeber would scare the u know what outta HS Seniors
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

While we're on the subject of the prom, how many of ya'll are goin? I'm not, I'll probably either be at the station or my girlfriend's house, and I just wanted to know what ya'll are planning on doing.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I`ll be at the prom, but neither of us drink, still we`ll have to worry about the other 200 people there.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Unhappy

DAMN KIDS , GET A LIFE !!! There is more 2 life than firefighting! I know this might "supprise" some of you, but holdin' that "high school sweetheart" in your arms is worth more than any fire call!!

You R only young once; take advantage of it !!! ENJOY! There will B plenty of fires 2 fight in your carrerees!! WHY rush past a chance for free nookie??? Be a kid! Enjoy your lives! There will B PLENTY of time 2 endure the "joys" of house payments, taxes, insurance, truck(car) paynents, withholding taxes, midnight trips to the Doctor for your kids, . . .

Go to the prom , ENJOY yourselves!!! There is plenty of "time" for "tone outs, pages, etc . . . " Live your lives; get some nookie, & thank what ever God there might be that U have the blessin' 2 C the Sun rise & set, the winds to wisper past your ears, the breath to breath into your lungs, . . .

FOLKS : ENJOY life!!! As the song says, you R enjoin' "the best time of your lives "; the rest is all down-hill from here! Stay Safe & USE CONDOMS !!!

pEACE.

The town i cover does not have a high school so we dont get to do anything like that. But i am going to my prom and then all the people that went to the prom go down to the jersey shore to celabrate finishing school in 20 days. After i get back from there i have my f/f 1 and 2 graduation two days after. But the shore should be good, hot girls, bikinis, and some cold refreshments. I wouldent miss it for the world.
    What are the irons? Is that a Hillside thing?

Thread Information