View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds like a good idea

15 93.75%
  • Might be worth while

1 6.25%
  • There is no need for this

0 0%
  • Just a complete waste of time

0 0%
  • Bad idea

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thumbs up Looking for information

The Rhode Island Fire Academy is attempting to create a comprehensive "Fire Fighter Survival course", this course is intended to give to the new canidates and students of fire fighting the old skills that are being lost with each new recruit class. Methods such as breathing off the nozzle in a crisis situation, checking to see which way the floor boards run to find your way to an outside wall. Knowing which way closet and bedroom doors swing to know the difference when searching in low visibility.
    Should you have any tips, tricks or skills would you please pass them along so that we may make as complete list of them as possible. Over the many years these skills are being lost, and wwe feel that they need to be written down and passed back along to those that are the future of the Fire Service. Thank you for any resposes that you may give.

Forum Member

Default Rhode Island Fire Academy

This all sounds like a great idea for the RI Fire Academy. Let's just hope the state continues to give them money and support them. Its been too long since the Academy has been able to do much of anything. It seems like a few years ago the whole place was about ready to shut down due to the almost nonexistent funding. All sounds good for the future though. Good luck and stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Lightbulb

How about following the hoseline? I.e. the direction of the couplings. That was something I was taught.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter Survival Course

A few years ago, I got the time off work to take the eight hour NY State Firefighter Survival Course (For The Volunteers, Not the Professionals). We used an old fire station in our county, which had a second story on it. The best class I have ever taken. I have been a volunteer for over thirty years, and at the time was wearing a titanium knee brace. I'm six feet tall, 250 pounds, and over 45 years old at the time. We built "walls" out of 2 x 4's with 16 inch studs, covered with dry wall, and had to breech the wall with full turnout gear and scba on, carrying hand tools. Everyone in the class did it until they made it through. We did the hose couplings leading us out of the building, (our hoods turned backwards over our scba's).
    We had to find the open window on the ground floor and exit via that window, again with hand tools, hoods on backwards, and full gear. Then we went upstairs. Our instructors rigged the safety ropes, and controlled them, as all class participants had to head first out the upstairs window onto a ladder. This was all training I had never had before, and believe me, I still take training classes. After the new recruits learn the basics, and get a little experience, this should be a must class. Number One rule in the Fire Service is protect yourself, and this type of training should be mandatory for any and all interior Firefighters.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

District Chief

There used to be a couple National Fire Academy Field Courses in Firefighter Safety and Survival. I believe the Virginia Department of Fire Programs has a similar program.

Anything we can do to educate folks and prevent injuries and death is a worthwhile cause.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Default Train for the unexpected

Fire fighter survival is part of the academy here in Prince William County Va. If you dont pass that you dont graduate. I found it to be one of the best classes I have ever taken. It teaches you how to react in a bad situation and how to help your fellow FF's when they are down. It is a damn shame that it took so long and so many brothers and sisters to die before we, the fire service, began teaching this class.

I would say that if you could add only one class to your training, that should be it. You may never use it, I know I pray I never will, but there is always that chance.

Matt

Thread Information