Default im looking to put together a ems/brush pack

im looking to put together a brush/ems pack and i have no idea how i should equip it they only thing i have desided on was the pack itself i desided to use the pack shack top load bag for the fire cache so any suggestions would be helpful how i should put this together thank you

Forum Member

Default Pack?

A little confused as to what it is you are trying to assemble. Are you trying to create a pack for service on brush fires that is equipped with EMS equipment (for yourself or partner)? Or are you trying to assemble an EMS pack for use in SAR type activities? Or are you looking for an all around pack for either use in the woods (whether you're responding to a brush fire or woodlands EMS call)? I have some ideas on what to carry depending on the space availabel in the pack and what its exact use is. I've been a FF for several years as well as being an EMT and an Eagle Scout (so I have a little knowledge in these fields). Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

im looking to put together a pack i can use on both brush and wildland ems runs i hope that clears it up a bit

Forum Member

Default wildland/ems pack

Now I have a better understanding of what you're looking for. I guess everything you carry is dependent on how far you may typically have to carry this load and what size pack you have/or are considering using. I'll just list off items that I might consider carrying.

Wildland/SAR:

-Goggles
    -Hankerchief
    -Flashlight
    -Shelter
    -Radio
    -Water (2 1L Bottles)
    -Spare socks (in plastic bag)
    -work/leather gloves
    -Rope (braided nylon, tons of uses)
    -Knife
    -Compass
    -Map
    -Flares/Backfire torches (if your department uses them)

EMS Supplies:

-Triangular Bandages
    -band-aids
    -kling/roll gauze
    -4x4's
    -5x9 ABD's
    -SAM splints/roll wire splints
    -tape
    -nitrile gloves
    -CPR mask
    -glucose (if you're an EMT and protocol allows)
    -epi-pen (if you're an EMT and protocol allows)
    -BP cuff/scope (optional depending on needs)
    -pad/pen

This list is controversial and open to any additions or subtractions or substitutions. Again, what you carry is dependednt on your persoanl needs and limitations. Carry only what you need or may potentially need (within limits). Carrying too much will weigh you down and then the pack will be more of a nuisance(sp?) than anything else. I hope my ideas help you or provide any hints. Stay safe.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Forum Member

Default Brush/Backcountry EMS Pack

Consider how you intend to use the pack. You mentioned wilderness EMS - if your response is in a SAR mode where the search component (victim in unknown location, but once found becomes a rescue) is significant you are going to need many more items - and the knowledge/skills to use them.

Remember - as an EMS provider in a wilderness setting you may need to be able to support a victim for extended periods of time depending on weather (environmental factors complicate things tremendously), evacuation difficulties, etc. Scoop and run takes on a whole new meaning when you are faced with a 5 or 6 hour technical evacuation in the middle of the night.

MartinJ has some good items listed. Here are a few more to consider (and some comments) - in no particular order/grouping.

Helmet
    Extra clothing (polypro, etc.) for you, the victim and colleagues - incl. gloves, hat, etc.
    Compass/Map/GPS(optional) - know how to use them
    Rope - skip the braided nylon - use a static kernmantle-type rope - make the right choice based on intended use (includes length, diameter, etc.)
    Harness
    Webbing (may be used to improvise a harness, rig anchors, secure victims, etc.)
    Cold pack(s)
    Hot pack(s)
    Extra batteries
    Hydration supplies (water, oral rehyd., electrolyte repl.)
    Carabiners
    SAM splint - very good option - flexible/adaptable
    Firestarting supplies (flares, etc. work if you carry them)
    Fireshelter (is it stupid to add this?)
    Plastic garbage bag(s) - tons of uses
    Nitrile gloves - have some spares

I'll cut this off before I ramble more......

Remember - carry practical items that you are likely to need/use. Carry multi-purpose items if possible. Manage the weight. Try out some of the items - nothing like the unplanned overnight (or two) to "shake down" your equipment! Tailor your list to meet YOUR needs.

I'm kind of confused on how much you can use a wildland pack in Berwyn Heights. I used to run at 1 and there is hardly any wildland anywhere around there. I now live in about 2 hours west of there where there is alot of wildland. Anyway, the top load PackShack is a good choice, good quality, will last your whole career. As for what to put in it, the other guys gave you a pretty extensive list. If you are interested in fighting wildland, contact your local DNR office. They will hook you up with getting your red card and going to camp in I think it's Cecil county.
    Good luck,
    Onelick

Thread Information