Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Have you ever been forced to put an antique in service?

I was reading the history of a fire company in my area and came across something of interest. They had a large industrial type fire back in the seventies and were forced to put an antique ALF in service as a water supply unit. They set up a draft in the local river and used it to supply 2 1/2" lines.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default putting antiques into service...

Posted by StayBack500feet...
    Have you ever been forced to put antiques in service?

Only a few "senior, crusty old jakes!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Talking

Weeeeeeeelllllll.........I wasn't going to be the one to say it although the thought crossed my mind.

E6511

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

I put an antique in service every 3rd day at 08:00...ME!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

In the late 80's(86-89) when my dept finally was able to replace/retire our 1937 Ford on a 1938 Woods body it was bought by my fire company and it is still kept at the station. It is our parade piece and we love it, but during several flooding situations and major brush fires it has been recalled to service . These are very rare occassions ,but its nice to now that the old girl still has fight in her
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

bke

Thumbs up 50's pumper still working hard!!!!!!!!!

A small town here in the state still has a 1953/57 (maybe a Mack)pumper as a reserve. They said it still pumps good, looks good, and runs good, so what the heck? I've seen it and its a neat old truck and they keep in new condition. They seem really proud that it is still in the house and ready to work ! Sorry I don't know the exact year or make.
    Last edited by bke; 04-11-2002 at 03:46 PM.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Had a mutual aid company that put a ladder with no equipment just off the road from the factory into service for a industrial fire and flowed over a million gallons.

Default something similar to apatrol

Just a few months ago a town/city nearby had a large hotel fire. There were 4 towns respond for mutaul aid and they still were making little headway. Just then a New pumper (2000gpm i think) was being delivered down the interstate and saw the fire. They desided to stop and actually helped to finish out the blaze. Kind of a neat idea....just pulling off the interstate to help people you don't even know

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

we had a 65 international go into front line service for a weekend while our "custom pumper"was in the shop(same pumper that on its first fire actually CAUGHT FIRE)You know on those Custom built jobs our officers have this idea.The sign say custom built for insert name here fire dept.They think that sign cost 250,000 dollars and the rest of the truck is free lol.Seriously though we love our new ALF. First ALF Eagle II in the state of Illinois thank you very much!And now onorder our ALF Eagle rescue squad! When I get new pics of engine two Ill post em plus if you get a calander from Alexis fire equipment (not sure when but maybe 2 years out)we are going to have three of our rigs in it(so the rep says)Our Ford brush truck,Engine two and the aforementioned rescue.All I can say is no more antiques for us for a while.Our oldest rig then will be a 78 squrt and it will be gone in 5 years for a new tower.Well hopefully

Talking

We have an old 1968 Chevy Truck for our grass truck. It has built in spitoons in the floorboards (pull up the floor mats and you could fall out almost), 20 gallon gasoline "heater" right behind the back seat, and is a BEAST to say the least. It is very tempermental, only runs good when it wants to. We have been trying to get a new grass truck for 4 years now, but you know how trustees are when it comes to spending money. Hopefully we will get a new one in a few months, and we can finally retire the old girl. Would make a great play truck!!

By the way.....this truck goes out on almost every run that we have (and they wonder why we want a new one??)
    God bless our brothers
    let their deaths not be in vain
    9-11-01

Faithful Member : IACOJ!!

What is your definition of an Antique? We run our front line trucks into the ground for 23-26 years on average. THEN after the new piece comes in to replace it somebody decides that it is still good enough to be used as a reserve piece for another 2-3 years. Biggest problem here is that these reserves are being used now by 13 different crews on a continueous basis and because it's an old P*O*S* truck no one care's about taking a little pride to try to keep it looking nice. I'm sure you've all heard the expression that you can't polish a turd. Anyhow just because it's an antique does'nt necessarily mean it's of no use. The FDNY brought one of it's Retired Fireboats(70 year old "Harvey") out of mothballs to pump hose lines into the WTC area for something like 3 days straight? www.fireboat.org/911.asp
    This should prove that there can be some good in most vehicles, should they be on the roads is a whole different thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with Billy--defien "antique".

Our two engines are 1961 and 1962 Ford Centrals. For no more than we run, they work just fine.

The newest truck we have is a 1986 Chevey 4x4 brush truck.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Danielson FD which is almost the fire department-next-door still has in service a 193x pumper.

Primarily a parade piece, but it isn't officially retired either. Major fires in the Borough will still find it hooked up to a hydrant feeding a couple 2.5" lines

On the opposite end of putting an antique back-in-service, we've twice put engines in service ahead of schedule due to mill fires. The last one was our '86 Mack made it's first fire with the gold leaf half done and still wet as the truck drove out from in front of the gold leafer!

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Wink ANTIQUES???

Have you ever seen some of our forest fire trucks??? Some of these "ANTIQUES" are first due engines!!! LOL

They may be old....but our mechanics keep them "first rate!"

The W.Van fire dept. has a 47 International (I think it's international, I know it's 47) It runs beautifully. It has actually been retired to the fire museum, but every year she gets brought out for a specific event.

The dept's in the lower mainland here do a fund raiser for the burn fund called Bright Nights in Stanley Park. It takes us about a month to put up over 1 million christmas lights, the truck sat next to a tribute to all fallen fire fighters last year. Apparently everything still works on it, and there isn't one chip in the paint, they drive it over and back every year. The display just wouldn't be the same without it.

Antique can mean whatever you want it to mean. It's kind of fun to hear about some of the older rigs being put into service. It goes to show that water in the pump and water out of it hasn't changed much over the years...just the volume.

E6511

Forum Member

Talking

Don't know when it was last used, but my uncle's dept in Bedford County, PA just sold their reserve engine when they acquired a newer one. It was a `39 Ford open cab, with 27K on the odometer.
    It ran like a top, and the pumps had just been refurbished about a year ago, and could flow all the water you could use.
    If it's taken care of, they can be of use.
    J-
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

Thread Information