Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Unhappy I Need Some Advice!

Hello everyone I am a newby. Here is my background... I am a 22 year old female recently graduated with a bachlors degree in SocialWork. I know I can't do much with a BA in SocialWork I need an MA. What I wanted to do was be a police officer. I don't know if that is what I want to do anymore. I haven't applied to the academy yet because I don't want to waste my time and money if i'm not sure that's what I really want to do. Other people (Parents, relatives, other officers) discourage me from becomming one. Currently, I am having a hard time finding any job even with a degree. I work part time at a restuarant right now. I recently have been thinking about becomming a firefighter instead. I have heard that it is hard to find a job as one and you have to go on waiting lists and people eventually give up. My question is?... Would this be a good career choice for me and is it hard to get a job as a firefighter or should I stick with law enforcement? Personally I feel that I would rather become a firefighter and everyone else agrees with me but will I find a job? Please give me any input good or bad I just want to know what anyone thinks.

THANKS, Angie

Hey Angie,

Couple of things...I use to want to be in police work myself. The only reason was because my father was and I wanted to follow in his footsteps. People said I would make a good officer,but I decided I was doing it for the wrong reason. I am curious though as to why everyone is saying not to be one? Including officers themselves...that puzzles me. Anyhow... if it is something that you want to do then you should go for it. Obviously because you haven't applied to the Academy "you figure it would be a waste of time and money". You really don't want to do it, it really isn't fair to take a spot in the Academy if you don't want to be there. There would be 50 other people that would want that spot behind you.

As far as the Fire Fighting...again you have to ask yourself do I want to do it? Then ask yourself why do you want to be a Fire Fighter? You will have to be able to answer that question to you and a panel during an interview. Is there Fire Fighting jobs out there....yes! Is it hard to get one of those jobs...yes! You and thousands more are wanting the job. My question to you is how bad do you want to be a Fire Fighter? If you want it bad enough then you will write exams, do fitness tests, and go to interviews till you get the job. If you quit after a couple of tries...then you didn't want it bad enough.

You have plenty of time...I didn't seriously look at F/F til I was 26 and I didn't get into Fire College til I was 30. Within those 4 years I picked up applications, wrote exams, went to different cities because I wanted the job. When I got into College, I had 9 months of training in F/F,EMT,and other programs and was hired within a week of graduating. I have been a Fire fighter for 2 years and I will never regret any decision that I have made to this point. You have to decide what you want and go for it!

If you have any questions please feel free to email me. sl_tanner@yahoo.com

Cheers,
    Red

Default Hard Decisions

Hey Angie, Iguess I was kind of in the same boat. I grew up watching my two favorite television shows "Emergency" and "Adam 12". I moved to S.C. when I was ten years old, always knowing that I wanted to be a firefighter or a police officer. My dad joined our local volunteer fire department when I was about 12 and back then, I started risinf the engine with him. I joined when I was 15 and later became Chief at the age of 20. I am again the Chief after servinf as Assistant Chief for about 11 years. I ended up becoming a police officer at age 21 at our Sheriff's Office. I love both and got to enjoy them both. Believe me it's not too hard to get hired around here. I guess I have had the best of both worlds. I now have 21 years as a volunteer firefighter and 18 1/2 as a police officer(now a detective, specializing in whatelse, arson). If I could live my life over, I think next time I would reverse it and be a fulltime firefighter and reserve police officer. The only real advise that I can give you is this, If you don't have police work in your heart, don't go for it. The public will not give you many pats on the back as a cop, but they do tend to appreciate the firefighters. A cop has to be able to pat himself on the back.

Default Firefighter

Well A Firefighter is likly to get killed by a bullet or a stabb or even by a riot. A Firefighter's title there is more honor to. Don't get me wrong I want to be a cop in a few years, but there isn't a great public view on Police Officers, but on Firefighters, I hear otherwise, besides "Sit around and drink beer and slide down a big poal." Big deal huh? I personnaly think you are better becoming a FF. What I am doing is staying a Volunteer Firefighter, I went threw Fire School (As a VFF I get the same training as a payed FF) So when I get out of the Air Force, or the Army I get 10 extra points due to Pior Armed Forces training, and I am already a State Certified FF#1, so the town wouldn't have to pay for my training. Nice deal huh? So after that I would like to become a part-time Police Special. I know this isn't about me, but maybe I helped you in your way of your life. Please fell free to E-Mail me sometime, and we could keep in touch.
    FiremanD@Firehousemail.com. Best of Luck to you in your future.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Default OOPS.....

I meant to say as a Police Officer you are likely to get killed by a bullit, or stabed.... everything is up-to-date.
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Thread Information