Forum Member

Question Vehicles that can be used as light rescues?

I've seen some lower-funded departments have used Box Trucks for light rescue vehicles. I was wondering if it is possible to use Type I or type III ambulcances for rescues. Mostly just to carry extrication gear and such. I would think that the Gross Weight would be able to work for it. Anyone have any experience or know of depts that have done such. I'd like to find out. Thanks.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of three departments that run either a Type I or III ambulance as a rescue within 25 miles of us.

First department runs a Type I as rescue on MVAs with a transport ambulance. They carry extrication tools and such on board.

Second department started with a step van when they began running a medical first responder program, and have since bought a Type I to carry medical supplies, extrication equipment, and rehab equipment. This department doesnít run transport EMS, and sends an engine to the calls as well.

Third department runs a Type I for medicals and extrication, though they donít have hydraulic rescue equipment. I used to work for the fire/ems agency that provided their EMS transport (about 15-20 minutes away) and they ALWAYS had the patient extricated before we could get our rescue truck there (darn it!). This department also opted to install a 150 gallon water tank in the box (where the cot would be) with a small pump. They later regretted it putting the water onboard.

All three departments are small or no-town volunteer, although the first department does maintain a paid driver 24 hours a day.

My department is considering beginning a FR program, and weíve looked into using an ambulance. Itís pretty much been decided that unless someone GIVES us one, we would rather use a 4x4 with a utility box or an SUV. We donít want people to confuse us for the transport service.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Default Would a SUV be able to hold enough equipment

But would a SUV work for EMS first response plus the weight of the Jaws? I know that you don't want to overload apparatus. I know most depts wouldn't be able to afford a fully loaded Suburban or Excursion to us.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

www.helpingourown.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd carry the jaws on an engine. If you are going to be cutting a car apart, you better have a suppression unit on scene as well. They might as well have the jaws.

For 90% of medicial/trauma calls, you're going to use equipment that will fit in a SUV. O2, mask, backboard, splints, collars, bandages--that kind of stuff.
    Bryan Beall

Forum Member

Is this what you are looking for?:

RESCUE SUV
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Forum Member

Default Read on another forum....

I remeber reading on another forum site that the Suburbans that follow around the President has a full set of Hurst extrication equipment. Now I'm sure that it's possible but is there anyway that they could also hold BLS gear for a nontransport service, on top of ropes, cribbing, and maybe a compartment on top for a backboard? Does anyone know if it's possible?

By the way...thanks for all of the help so far.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

Sure, why not?? Take the rear seat out. Get a couple plastic boxes to keep the cribbing in. If you want hyrdaulics, carry a combination tool preconnected to the power supply. Have a unit in the back to hold this and put hand tools on a slide-out divider. Look at www.odysseyauto.com for examples of rear cabinet units, and build one to suit your needs! If you are just doing light rescue with it, no need to have 12 full sets of Hurst tools and 30 air reels.
    1. When in doubt, CYA!!
    2. These opinions are entirely my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any agency with which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Default Why limit yourself to an SUV

I must agree that SUV's are popular for EMS, but why limit yourself to an SUV.

Swab Wagon makes a unit that I feel will by far excede an SUV in storage and accessability.

If you have a 1999 and earlier Suburban that needs replacing (accident or just tired out) the cabinet that cost several thousand dollars will not fit into a 2000 or newer Suburban. The Swab unit is based on a pickup with an 8' box with a 56" Cab to Axle. This 56" for an 8' box hasn't changed in years, and probably won't for some time to come.

These units make your items more accessable without fliping or folding a seat, you are always only an arms reach away from your equpiment. The new GMC SUV's you have to cut or modify the rear door or the back of the middle seat to fit a simple standard back board.

Swab Wagon "Pioneered" the modular body ambulance.

It may not fit everybody's need but it is a good alternative to an SUV

One last thing some of the Presidental motorcade units carry a Curtiss Wright Flight Systems Power Hawk. I know they are in the HAMMER decon "ambulance" units made by Odyssey.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Fyrtrks,

That Swab unit is what I'm talking about, baby! That would be ideal.

Another word of advice I've heard from other departments around here: don't put a utility box on a truck that can be used for firefighting such as a brush truck. What I hear is that you will eventually get into a situation where you hit a tree or bottom it out. This stress tends to torque the box so your doors don't open and shut right (if at all). That's one reason that they department I mentioned above regretted putting a water tank in that ambulance: it usually got put into a firefighting role, and the medical role of the truck became secondary.
    Bryan Beall

Those Swab units would seem to be ideal for what you are looking for. I have seen a couple agencies that run them as ALS-intercept vehicles. Seems like they would be perfect for light rescue/QRS. SUV would be more practical for just QRS or ALS-intercept.

Thread Information