Forum Member

Question Who Makes the Worst Hydraulic Tool?

OK, I am so tired of hearing about how great one tool is over some other brand... even the simplest question in this forum can end up into a mud slinging match about brand names, fluids and hi/low pressures. So let's grab the bull by the horns. Let's be serious here, I know many of you swear by your tools. What I want to know is, has anyone had an actualy experience that leads them to believe that there is some hydraulic tool out there that does NOT belong in out arsenal of tools? Don't want to hear the NFPA argument, I want to hear of an actualy experience where a particular tool simply wasn't up to the job it was meant to do in the hands of a compentent operator.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

FIGJAM

Talking Here we go....!!!!

I hate HURST and AMKUS due to their weight!

You need to be a weight lifter come body builder on steroids to even lift them out of the truck, let alone use them!!!!

Don't deny they're comparable with all the others when it comes to power and capacities, but you've lost me on the weight factor......
    Luke

Forum Member

lutan:
    You obviously haven't tried a new Hurst tool. We got a new system last year to replace our 25 year old tools and it's amazing the difference in weight.

We've never really had any problems with the old system so when it came time to replace it we stayed with Hurst.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

FIGJAM

Default Who's Hurst?!

The number one tools in use over here on the East Coast of Australia would have to be Holmatro. There's a few Lukas and Hurst users around, but Hurst- haven't heard boo from them in a long time over here.

There's still Units using them, but I haven't heard of ANY unit/brigade purchasing anything from them. We never hear of any new tools and innovations from them and in 12 years of rescue I don't even recall ever meeting the sales rep nor could I tell you who is distributing their tools....

For a market that's always changing and evolving with car technology and rescue techniques- that's really sad.

(I think other tool manufacturers need to take a long hard look at some of their marketing campaigns. There's a whole big wide world outside of the USA that use these tools!)

I'm almost certain that any upgrade on a 25 year old system is quite remarkable. We ran the Holmatro 1000 series for probably 15 years, then went to the 2000 series for around 5 years then recently went to the 3000 series- same as you guys Steve, it's amazing the difference....
    Luke

Forum Member

It is a shame that hurst isn't trying very hard to get business down under, they are fine tools.

As far as I'm concerned, Amkus can kiss my a@#!! I was using one of their cutters to cut an A post on a volvo and it took 3,count em',3 cuts to get through it. I almost feel that I would have got it done faster with a pair of tin snips!!

I prefer hurst, but my dept uses lucas. I don't really care about the whole low/high press argument. They both do the job. Isn't that what really matters after all?
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

I'm always amazed to hear firefighters say that Hurst tools are "too heavy". My twelve-year old son can handle and operate the Hurst tools effectively.

I'm always amazed to hear firefighters say that Hurst tools are "too heavy". My twelve-year old son can handle and operate the Hurst tools effectively.

Thread Information