Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    JTL

Default Somthing wicked this way comes

Attention. That is what is coming the fire service way. It is debatable as to whether to call it "wicked" because not all attention fits neatly into the category. However with the events of the last 7 months a spotlight was put on the fire service. In some respects it has been positive but in many more we have shown our weakness and dared to say "Oh Well". Let me make a point by point list of just a few issues that have come to the forefront.

Firefighter Arson It has been around quite a while. It just seems to be getting worse and each day it is with dread that we look to see where the next case has come from. We have talked about it on these forums and many good ideas have arisen. I dare say that in the future, because many of the leaders of tomorrow are looking in here, we will see proactive action taken to reduce this menace. While we all seem to have ideas of what needs to be done, the one thing that we all agree on, and I am guesing all of us, is that it should be prosecuted with vigor. The public perception that "firefighters start fires because they are bored" is damaging to every department. In my humble opinion, this a fire service wide problem and every department has a responsibility to take action. Paid, Volunteer, Combo, Industrial, whatever. It is a problem!

Lairdsville and Training In my recent memory no other training incident stands out for its complete and total disregard for safety and common sense. That is not to say there have not been others. Milford is most striking to me. The fire service has to train and training has dangers associated with it because most like to get as close to reality as possible. So knowing that danger exists and that accidents happen we moved toward establishing guidelines that help promote safety. In the Lairdsville incident these were ignored. They can plead ignorance but when a standard is as well known as...well its a standard for a reason...it is folly to expect to believe when people say "I just didn't know". How many times in the past have we heard that? "Oh, we don't do that around here" - pitiful. As my friend Marty likes to point out
    We never used to wear seatbelts either
    Now there is a prosecution underway. My only concern is that not enough people have been indicted. It would be nice to think that Lairdsville is where it will stop...but we know its not true.

Just a few thoughts as we move forward. God bless each of you.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Good points to ponder brother! The days of Oh well! and Oh what a tragedy! without accountability are over. For a firefighter to commit any kind of arson puts a black mark on the 1 million plus upstanding firefighters who see this as unthinkable. Safety in training and the real deal is paramount to make sure everyone goes home in the same condition they showed up. As far as Lairdsville is concerned, "I didn't know" is not good enough. If you are going to running training then at least COMMON SENSE should tell you whether or not it can go wrong. If you are running training then every conceivable precaution should be taken. Let's use our heads and prevent this from happening again!

What bothers me is the pattern of arsons that are caused by relatively young firefighters. They're inexperienced in firefighting in general. Couple that with careless arson, and before you know it a brother or sister dies responding to that very fire. It's arson AND the Lairdsville incident rolled into one.

Guess it's something hard to comprehend - why someone would start a fire for S#!ts and giggles.
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

Thread Information