Forum Member

Unhappy "These Opinions Are Mine...."

I've noticed that a lot of people end their posts with variations of the famous, "These opinions are mine and do not represent my department."

Perhaps this might be true, but we all need to remember that no matter what you do, you are ALWAYS representing your department.

When someone flies around a corner at 80 mph in the 1988 station wagon and Mini Edge lightbar, he's not just some guy... he's "one of those damn vollies."

When a junior gets arrested for underage drinking wearing a FD T-shirt and carrying his pager the media might refere to him not as an individual, but "An underage member of So-and-So Fire Department."

Stand up for what you believe in, but remember that anyone with Internet access and a few extra minutes can read what you write. Make sure you wouldn't mind having your Chief, Grandmother, Daughter, friend, or brother firefighter reading your posts.

.Turk II

JTL

Excellent points Turk. I had a Dr.s appointment at around 1:00 pm and as I made my way back from downtown I happened to be caught beside a "Lowcountry War Wagon" with the giant wheels, mud all over it, gun rack, confederate flag, and shining brightly on the rear window were two stickers. IAFF and the maltese cross with a no fear statement on it. I quickly passed mr. "STumphumper" and on the front of his truck he had a ________ fire department tag.

Now maybe this guy has great abilities, I don't know, but from looking no one was on duty at the gene pool. To be fair, he was driving at a moderate amount of speed. Perhaps this was because his eyes were not able to adjust due to lack of genetic differences in his family. I could be wrong!

All joking aside it was quite a spectacle but one we see in South carolina about every 10 minutes. Our motto: "Thank God for Mississippi".

Stay safe!
    Last edited by JTL; 04-15-2002 at 02:56 PM.

District Chief

Talking carefully chose is not always good

JTL and Turk....

I have to differ a bit from what you say.

#1 In my position as a consultant and sales representative I have to chose the things I say carefully and not present it as if it is a sales pitch etc. (I have been warned and even temporarily suspended). When I am on here I am here as a firefighter for the betterment of the nations fire service including everything from Cadets to Fire Apparatus and most importantly Firefighter Safety. I am here for the brotherhood of passing on experiences. If I relate a story that has something to do with products available from my company, it in no was is a testimonial for that product. Just a story of something happening. My job is not a part of it...hence the comment/signature. Additionally, I may pass an opinion on here that is 180 degrees different from My Volunteer Chief, and in no way reflects the actions of my department...hence the other part.

I above all realize that what you say reflects on you....but it is a statement to cover your %$#% with whomever.

I know you will say...so what? but..that is my take on it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

JTL

Understood Stan

__________________________________________________ ___________________

The above view is my view only and not that of anyone associated with me through blood relation, marriage, employment or daily interaction. The views I express may not be those of CBS,NBC,ABC,CNN, the Pentagon, Department of State, The Ambassador to Thailiand, nor any other entity, either real or fictional. In fact these views are not even associated with me as this may be the netherworld. Any resemblance to real people is purely coincedence. If you have any questions email me at Idonthaveanemailaddress@whoamI.com. All rights reserved. For now.

Thread Information