Forum Member

Angry How's this for mud in your eye!!!

How is this for mud in your eye!!! I work part-time for a fire department in the county. Last week, while on duty, we received a call from the light company, asking if we knew about a fire truck that was stuck in the mud in our territory. We of course knew nothing about it, the light company told us that one of there meter readers found a small fire truck that was stuck in the mud with the glass broken out of it, and the equipment thrown all over the place. We immediately went over to investigate. When we got there, sure enough, there was one of our booster trucks stuck in the mud with the glass broken out of it, the compartment doors were all open, and most of the equipment either missing or thrown around the area. Yes, that's right, someone stole our fire truck!!! But wait it gets better!!!!! The station where this truck is housed, is an unmanned fire station. While we were awaiting the arrival of law enforcement, we began thinking about the pumper that sits in that station as well. After, law enforcement did there thing, we rushed over to the station, and walk in to find that they had taken all of the airpacks, 8 in all, the spare bottles, and all of the hand tools, ei - axes, haligan bars, pry bars, short pike poles, everything. The only things they left were either tool heavy for them, or they were after specific items. There was no sign of forced entry into the building, so this person(s) had to know how to get into the station. I have seen and heard of alot of things, but this one definitly takes the cake. I am still in amazement that someone would stoop to the level of stealing a fire truck and take all of the equipment. What is this world coming to?!?!?!

Forum Member

Default Can you say "inside job"?

Somebody knew just what they were doing. Do you all have serial #'s & stuff to ID the gear if it's sold? Watch places like Ebay.

There's a guy who deserves to be a lightning rod. I hope you get him.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our mutual aid departments had a 4x4 brush truck stolen in the middle of the night a few months ago.

A state trooper was driving down the highway, and noticed two guys walking down the shoulder carrying a lightbar. As the trooper doesn’t see that kind of thing often (particularly in the middle of the night in the country), he stopped to inquire where they got the lightbar.

They answered, of course,”It’s ours.”

The trooper, used to being lied to thought,”Yeah, right.”, and invited them to sit in his patrol car to rest for a bit while he had dispatch contact the local VFD.

The VFD finds their truck missing, and the trooper politely asks the two now-suspects what they did with it. The two guys proclaim their innocence, being fine, upstanding citizens.

The trooper then gives them a choice, as officers of the law often do. He says,”Tell you what. You can tell me where the truck is OR I can take you by the fire station and let fifteen angry firemen ask you.”

Suddenly, our two “victims” start to remember that they DID steal a firetruck, and led the trooper to the ravine they crashed it into after taking a turn too fast while attempting to get off the highway, just a mere three miles from the station.

These two guys went to trial last month. My Assistant Chief was called for jury duty about the same time. Needless to say, he didn’t get to sit in on THAT trial.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

If it is someday proven to be an inside job, these rodents should receive the max penalty. As I have ranted about FF fire setters in one of my threads, I'm drawn to rant about thieves now. Jerks like this or the unscrupulous treasurer that makes his truck payment with dept. finances need to be placed in their own seperate catagory on the legal food chain. What they do ultimately effects the lives and welfare of firefighters and citizens and they should be held duly accounted for. There should be a special form of criminal negligence that could be applied to mucking with the emergency services. Now there's a whole station house rendered useless by the acts of one or two. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR WHERE'S THE TYLENOL!!!!!??????
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

It happens. We had one of our trucks stolen several years ago. The idiot crashed it and we had to run a pin-in on our own truck with the theif in it. I imagine that unnerved him a little.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Had a small VFD broken into in my area a few years ago and the morons totally trashed their only truck and their station. What this department had was junk but it was all they had. It's hard to understand how people (?) can be so numb.
    _________DILLIGAF

Forum Member

One story that heard was that an area fire company had their ambulance stolen from their second hall. Ultimately, the story I got was the theifs girlfriends father belonged to the company and "borrowed his keys for the theif, who then entered the station got in the station with a bottle of jack or two, a handgun and some explicit pictures of children, then took off for the state line, the MUTT was ultimately caught and prosecuted. Just got out of jail a few months ago.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

I don't think we've ever actually had a rig stolen. We did have the cardiac drugs stolen out of the back of the ALS ambulance by a junkie. Picture this:

Junkie wired on snow/speed balls(coke&heroine)...
    Junkie steals cardiac drugs...
    Junkie starts injecting preloaded syringes...
    guess what happened to Junkie...

Needless to say we found where the drugs went, and the junkie, well he saved the tax payers about $50 000 in rehab therapy, and wont be stealing any more.

Forum Member

There is also a chance that a firefighter? had nothing to do with it. The tools are easily pawned. The air bottles can also be used in drug labs. Some parts of the country have problems with anyhydrous ammonia theft for use in meth labs. The druggies don't comply with cylinder markings or even the type of cylinder. We have received reports of 20# propane cylinders being used and then abandoned.

Perhaps some of our law enforcement members will comment on what has been found for containers at labs.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

That is just wrong, ANYONE caught stealing from a fire truck should be punished severely. A few weeks ago, while the on duty guys were on a call, one of the other FFs walked out into the engine bay, and there was a guy in there looking through the lockers. When asked what he was doing, the guy turned and ran away. Fortunately, nothing was stolen. But it still ticks me off, to think that we risk our lives for EVERYONE that is threatened by fire or medical problems, then some people go and do this!!!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Default Tools easily pawned?

Are pike poles and haligans easily pawned? I can see if a KNOWLEDGABLE FIREFIGHTER is trying to pawn, he can refer to the tools by name and possibly sell them to another fire department. But I can't imagine some "off-the-street" dirtbag trying to sell a "long pole thing with a hook on the end" to a fire department. Wouldn't bells go off with the fire dept that is trying to buy these tools?

Fire Dept(buyer): "Yes, we're interested in some of the tools you advertised for sale. What do you have?"

Dirtbag(seller): "Yeah, I got some long pole things and some shiny metal bar things with a fork on one end and points on the other. I also got some oxygen tanks and other stuff"

I would send letters to all departments in the area and warn them someone may be trying to sell tools.

Good luck. Hope you catch the dirtbags.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Kinda sounds like an insider job, but then who knows, right. In any case, I hope the B#@$#!DS are caught and appropriate punishment is dealt accordingly. In addition to whatever sentence he/she/they receive, maybe a few rides to some real messy calls might be in order as well to give the individual(s) some perspective too.

For the guys that had their equipment lost, stolen or destroyed, I hope that all goes well with either getting it back, repaired or replaced. As a member to a volunteer hall, I know that can and likely will be an uphill grind, but I hope it goes well for you. Good luck.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

A few years ago a Providence rescue crew was inside Women and Infants Hospital doing the paperwork on a woman who would probably be a mother before they got back in quarters. They walk ouit the front door...... no more ambulance. Needless to say they called that one in to Fire Alarm instead of using the portable. Talk about an easy APB for the cops "Uhh, all cars, Fire Department requests you be on the lookout for one of their big white trucks with lights and stuff on it...." They found the rig and the perps about 15 minutes later with no damage, save for what it took to get the thing started.

Forum Member

Yes easily pawned. Pike poles also look like the old style window openers that were used for the big windows in buildings before air conditioning. Halligans, axes etc are just "tools". Most pawn shops would be suspicious of some of the items and call the police. There are always a few that would take them no questions asked.

We used to have a bar/pawn shop about 100 miles from our location. If you had tools, electronics etc. stolen, wait about a week and go there to buy it back.

Nowadays a lot of the stuff stolen goes to the large cities several hundred miles away. Less chance of being caught and more outlets that ask no questions.

I agree that a fire department would not touch the stuff unless they could verify that it was a legal sale.

Several years ago a local rural VFD had their station broken into. The station is in a ranch area with the closest residence over a mile away and you had to drive on ten miles of gravel roads to get to it.
    Things taken were hand tools, gasoline, and the batteries from the trucks. Perps were never caught but it was theorized that they were a "target of opportunity" by someone passing through looking for easy targets.

A department in North Dakota had a fire truck stolen from the station by a couple of transients whose car had broken down and they just took it to continue their trip. They were caught about 100 miles from the scene of the crime by a law enforcement officer who thought it was odd to see a fire truck that far from home.

We have also had thefts of construction equipment from job sites that included trailers, skid steer loaders, tools, and even heavy equipment. It most cases it is not recovered because it is taken out of the area and maybe out of the country.

I've been to my share of drug labs. While I have never found an SCBA bottle, I have found a few O2 bottles. In fact we went to one where the guy had a blazer full of different bottles full of anhydrous. He got caught when an "e" O2 cylinder burst and his neighbors thought his car was on fire (because of the white "smoke" billowing out of the thing. Upon investigation, we found propane tanks, a large "m" cylinder and more "e" cylinders. Needless to say, we backed out rather quickly.

I have also encountered quite a few fisherman that have pike poles on thier boats. They like them to push off and hook onto things in the water.

And haligan tools. They have got to be a burglar's dream tool! I wouldn't be suprised if the police find it on a commercial burglary or have an increase of "forced door entry" type calls.

Either way, I agree, these people need to be strung up by thier short hairs for doing this!
    Last edited by bfpd36; 04-18-2002 at 10:56 AM.

The ease of pawning these items may depend on your state and local laws concerning pawn shops. Here in Alabama, ALL pawn shops are required to report daily all pawn/purchase tranactions to the local law enforcement. This includes all the pertinent personal information on the individual selling or pawning the items, as well as all identifying information on the property itself. The local law enforcement then checks these reports against their theft reports. All pawn shops in the state are subject to random spots checks by the police to ensure full compliance. In my area, the best bet to recover stolen property is have the thief pawn it someplace locally. If it is sold on the street, the chances of recovery seem to be pretty slim. As a retail/pawn shop manager with 11 years of experience it is usually pretty easy to spot the thieves or the ones who just don't seem quite right. It makes my day to catch some thief trying to sell me stolen property. I once recovered a new set of stolen turnout gear from a local FD, and had the thief arrested in my store. Just from experience, I don't think most pawn shop employees would have much of a clue as to what they were looking at when it come to fire equipment. I think the best thing you could do would be to communicate with the local shops in your area and tell them what you are missing. Keeping an eye on eBay probably wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully you will get some of your stuff back and catch the MUTTS who did this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe they don't want to pawn the items.

What better tools to continue breaking and entering with than firefighter irons?

Also, think meth lab for the SCBA bottles. Those 20# propane tanks are used commonly for stealing and transporting anhydrous ammonia. I'd think SCBA bottles would work well.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Default Let them fry......

People who do that kind of thing should be striken dead by God himself.
    Even more if it is a Volunteer Department.....
    I hurd once this one company was on a call and left the Rescue running, they came back 10 mins latter all the medical supplies where stolen, no other tools, drug dealers? Well from what it sounds like, it could of have been a "inside" job, or even a ex member with a grudge? But the thing is why would someone with-in do such a thing, usely people Love being a Firemen. But you never know, lets hope this ***** gets cought and trid to the fullest extend of the law. I hope you give us the 4-11 about how it went. My prays are with your Company.
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Forum Member

When I was still a volunteer FF/NREMT-I on a combination department, we had a command vehicle stolen from a MANNED station. Some of the volunteers had been out on a special duty assignment at a neighboring department and returned to quarters about 0200. Somewhere around 0300, the duty officer got a phone call from a neighboring police department to ask if a fire engine was missing. He went to the check the bays, 3 engines, 1 tower, and 2 brush trucks, no fire ENGINES missing. After the 2nd phone call, he got the whole shift up and checked finding the command/utility vehicle missing. It seems a neighboring police department found the vehicle out of territory with lights activated, pulled him over and the suspect told the police officer he was going to a fire. The suspect the drove away from the officer, got into a lengthy pursuit, and outran the police.

As our police are taking a report with the neighboring department around 0600, the garage door opens, and the truck backs into it's spot (almost perfect!), with...the AC's son at the wheel! When they called the AC at FDIC in Indy, they said you could here every *$%#!@& word he said for about 2 rooms on either side of him in the hotel. He was on the first plane home that morning. Seems the son stole dad's keys while dad was away, got drunk (suprise, suprise), and stole himself a firetruck. They think it occurred just about the time that the crews were returning from special duty as the duty officer said he heard doors go up, and trucks moving, but didn't give it a second thought as this was an expected event.
    Last edited by C2001UMedic; 05-17-2002 at 12:11 PM.
    ***The opinions and beliefs expressed above are mine and mine alone based on my education, training, and personal experiences. In no way do they reflect those of my employer(s), their affiliates, or any professional organizations that I belong to.***

Default I'd like to see.....

I'd like to see the law changed so that messing with fire/ems property is linked to attempted murder / manslaughter.

Just my op

Thread Information