Some Guy

Default Lighting vs the BBQ?

Ok so I asked this awhile ago, but I am going to ask again. What would happen if lighting hit the propane tank sitting on a deck? Or even just past threw it? I know that big ones for home heating are grounded but what about the small ones? Is this a bomb?
    This space for rent

Interesting question. There are only two ways that I can think of that this could become a bomb. One, the lightning strike splits or burns the tank causing a rupture and subsequent release of product, or two the lightning strike does not rupture the tank directly but causes rapid heating of the tank leading to a BLEVE, or maybe some combination of the above. I don't think there would be a problem as long as the tank could maintain its integrity. With the power released by a lightning strike, I don't see any way the tank could hold up though. Maybe someone with a litle more knowledge on this could shed some more light on your question.
    Last edited by PyroSlayer; 04-19-2002 at 05:27 PM.

No clue here, have you tried contacting Coleman or someone who makes the tanks? I am sure they would be able to give you a solid answer

District Chief

Default hmmmm

My guess would be that if lightening were to strike the tank it would explode on impact. I only say this after looking back at the damage lightening has done to houses, trees, chimneys etc when it strikes. The force of the impact is devastating and I would imagine that in the case of the promae tank...it woudl be similar to the impact and damage that would occure during a train derailment.

This is just a SWAG on my part (scientific wild *** guess)
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might try looking through http://www.propanesafety.com

I did a super fast run through this morning but didn't have time to really dig around.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Being a 20+ year Fire Fighter in the Tampa Bay area of Florida where we have the "unofficial" moniker of Lightning capitol of the world, with LOTS of outdoor BBQ's, I can only say this. I have never been to one, but I would agree with CaptStanm1, where he says seeing the damage done to houses and trees an such. All I can really say is I hope to never see one.

Forum Member

Well as luck would have it folks,we've experienced the near miss of this scenerio.We had a summer camp hit by lightning which caused a fire on the porch/deck area which involved the aforementioned grill and tank.Guess what?Burns like hell!Control is same as any other LP incident.Direct hit?If you're not standing right there,non issue.What will be is what will be when you arrive.I'll give you a hint.Can you say "Working structure"?T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought this thread would be about hanging a steak from the tail of a kite in an electrical storm.

Forum Member

I think the esteemed firefighter Benjamin Franklin invented that cooking method Loo.

Forum Member

Question Yikes...

Jeez. I sure do hope not. Maybe I'll request that my dad find a new place for the grill. Like, maybe, some place VERY FAR AWAY from our house.

storm over head moving grill to middle of the yard.........
    hope to get answer soon..................
    Just my 2 cents.
    You have to love this line of work.

District Chief

Rescue 101...sounds as if your fire involving the propane was a result of the deck beign struck and burning and the propane being an exposure problem.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Yeah Stan,it's one of those either or kinda things.Either the house exposed the grill or the overheated venting tank exposed the house.Either way it was a ****a of a fire for about three minutes.You get to see all kinds of weird wonderful stuff when the transplants get here for the summa.(tm) T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Ya got me!!!!!!

Forum Member

Since outdoor propane gas grills are made of metal, and metal conducts electricity, and electricity seeks ground, I would venture to guess that the energy from the lightning bolt would be channeled through the frame of the grill to the ground.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

When I was a kid I was outside in a storm, I watched the lightning hit a metal pole that was close to a propane tank (not bbq tank) in my neighbors yard. The tank and pole were both sitting on a concrete slab, not only did it explode, it shot up in the air about 150ft and made a big nasty hole in the ground, and took out part of the house and made a nice fire.

Thread Information