Forum Member

Default Buffalo PD vs. Buffalo Fire

No shock to anyone living in NY State, the City of Buffalo is on the financial ropes and is facing some major cuts in personel and services. I live North of Buffalo, but have worked in the city for the past 18 years. Buffalo is not a bad place to live, or live near, but has the misfortune of having political leadership (or lack of)that is enough to discourage anyone from living or investing in the city. Buffalo has been heavily dependent on aid from Albany for the last um-teen years, and this year the goody bag is empty.

I thought the following article was interesting in that now the Police and Fire Departments are becoming adversaries in the game of survival.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...18/1018301.asp

Forum Member

Default DIVIDE AND CONQUER

This will do wonders for morale in both departments. Looks like it will be real fun working with the cops on calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

They are right. Comparing our job is like comparing apples and oranges.
    They are totally different in they they operate. Instead of attacking the firefighters they should unite in an attempt to save jobs. This would be more constructive and save all sides alot of bad press.

Forum Member

I just re-read the article. It irks me to think the cops are using the firefighters to argue their case. I hope the leaders of The Buffalo Fire Department, both labor and management wont stoop to the low levels the cops are apparently going to. It makes the cops look like CRYBABIES. I feel real bad that they may have to get out and hit the streets and do some work.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Lightbulb

FOLKS: you're attacting the WRONG people. This ISN'T about "firefighters aginst police", this is TAXPAYERS aginst civil severents!!! I'm SURE most all of ya'll CHEERED when "the Shrub" Bush "cut" your taxes. I'm sure ya'll can see how the "ecinomic downturn" has efficted YOUR cities/State budgets,...lower sales TAX revenue, laid-off folks from NON-public jobs......

COME ON!!!!! When was the last time U saw a IAFF Rep or a local union leader going on LOCAL T.V. telling the public that they need 2 pay MORE taxes?!?!?!?!? From reading these forms it appears that ALOT of ya'll here support "the shrub" & his "conservative agenda." NOT 2 get into "politics" here, BUT, LESS tax $$$'s means LESS police & FIREFIGHTERS!!!

SO, are U in favior of a 30/40% TAX WITH HOLDING (like some Europen countrys) from YOUR paychecks 2 PAY for all of this?????

WHERE is ALL the money goin' 2 come from 2 PAY for all this "Protection & Service"!!! Do YOU want 2 pay for it??? Do WE (as a society) want 2 pay for it??? BEFORE U go into the booth & pull a lever for the Shrub & fellow Rebublicans, ASK yourselves,...can we really AFFORD these "Tax-cuttin'" facists??? YOUR job & our public safety might B @ stake. Just a thought.

By-the-by, personally, I'm a registered Indpendent. Can't live with EIGHTER of these SELF-SERVING A**-Holes who are runnin' this country & our States. YOU want 2 make a difference? Vote the bums OUT of office!!!!! DON'T come "crin'" to the rest of us who TRIED 2 keep them'al OUT of office in the first place!!!!

Ya'll ONLY have YOURSELVES 2 blame for puttin' 'em in office in the first place!!!! Cry me a river!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by DenverFarmboy; 04-19-2002 at 04:31 AM.

JTL

DenverFarmboy

Thanks for the clarity

Forum Member

Don't have paid departments near me so yes, I do like tax cuts. Also, my PD budget is increasing, not getting cut, so again yes, I do like tax cuts.

Forum Member

Amen JTL!

By the way, I thought most farm-folk and grange members were BIGTIME Republicans. Not a whole lot of John Deere driving Liberal or Independent folk in my area. Something doesn't add up "Farmboy".
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 04-19-2002 at 12:02 PM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default Oh how my head hurts now!

Well what started as a good thread somehow took a mind altering detour. I have a strange splitting headache now that my brain is trying to comprehend the wonderful commentary by one DenverFarmBoy. From what I can gather from that murder of the english language, our President is now responsible for the travesty about to befall the city of Buffalo??? Or maybe it is those darn punch card readers in Florida again.
    one more question for the DenverFarmboy...

Exactly what is a civil severent???

Scott Reasor
    Be safe brothers

Forum Member

Lightbulb Budgets and Unions ?

1) Buffalo is in a crisis because of "Past Political Pandering." Loss of jobs in the private sector and most of all being the "Highest taxed State in the USA"

2)You cant blame one Union or Department - Its a "winner take all Political Game."

The Police and Fire Unions used to be united . The present BFD President(Fire Capt.) has done more harm to their "Parity" with the Cops than any other Elected Official or economic trend could.

He pulled away from past practice of joint or mutual negotiations , just to show everyone he's in "Control" -while all along he was "Overwhelmed" by the scope of actual leadership duties.

The moral is at a all time low in Buffalo NY(Civil Service) because its turning "Cannibalistic" - everyones fighting each other while their contracts are being shredded because the "Entitled Ones" get their guys in office and as long as their pockets and Parties are fed they don't care about any thing or anyone else.

You can't blame the Street Cops or "Line" Firefighters - they believe in what they do - they take pride in their work ethic - they are being "Misled" by the "Party Faithfuls."

The Police Union in Buffalo is led by the most down to earth - actual leader most locals have ever seen.

The BFD is a mess because lack of true Admin and Union leadership integrity . Self service , discrimination, ego and greed have replaced honest concern for the members.

In the next couple of years , most of the "Entitled Ones" will be retired - they will take their bloated ego's and state pensions , leaving the next generation and a bankrupt system behind.

But one thing they will sing about - they can say - "In our time we ripped twenty thousand dollars a year in over-time - Yea! - the Good Old Days! ? !"

P.S. - Some higher ranked BFD staff members are ripping as much as $40,000.00 +/- a year in over-time alone ? ! ?
    Last edited by bfdhoser1; 08-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    www.bfd-firedepartment.com
    23 years B.F.D. Local 282
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

Thread Information