Thread: HME bodies?

Forum Member

Thumbs up HME bodies?

Has HME gone into the body building business? In their newsletter and on their website they advertise an HME stainless steel body. The also are superimposing the Ahrens-Fox name in the ads. Is there a link between the two?

We just got a new HME/Central States pumper not too long ago.

Forum Member

I just visited their site and didn't see anything that would indicate that. There are several times they list themselves as "the largest independent manufacturer of fire service chassis in the world."

But if they do go into that business we'll look at them. We have a 1871 P-2 for our newest pumper and it's a great chassis and cab.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Cool Ahrens-Fox

My understanding is that HME has revived the Ahrens-Fox name and is already selling completed rigs (chassis & body). They are reportedly purchasing body components from Weststates Apparatus and completing assembly in Michigan. I have heard that they will begin completing their own bodies in Michigan some time next year. I wasn't at FDIC this year, but there were several HME/Ahrens-Fox rigs on display.

I did attend FDIC and spent about 1/2 hour with the HME people. They gave me an Ahrens-Fox pin and explained that they had purchased the name. That a new Ahrens-Fox model or line would be marketed. Also It appeared that the trucks shown were done so as HME'S COMPLETE truck. I assumed that they were either building the body or having them built for them as HME's. By the way, as an active Products Liability DEFENSE lawyer[ex Ford Heavy Truck Engr.] I thought the product shown was designed and manufactured very well.
    Last edited by ENG6511; 04-20-2002 at 11:10 AM.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Forum Member

That sounds very interesting. I have not had much experience with Westates trucks here in Texas, but from what I hear, they are pretty good. I would not mind working off of an Ahrens Fox.

I can't believe the TYPICAL kneejerk reaction of some people. They only bought the Ahrens Fox name, it is NOT an Ahrens Fox. It is a truck built by HME.

Also, I thought the quality was POOR. It is a bolt together stainless body. They utilize Gortite roll-up doors, which are far from a ROM or Dover door.

Not sure if they meet NFPA. Step height is wat over 24". Is the punched stainless been tested and approved by NFPA for slip resistance.

Welds were not even cleaned up on the aluminum.

Aluminum extruded pump house mixed with the modular stainless body.

Pump house was laid out very bad, example, tank gauge is not even close to the tank fill valve.

Many other flaws and it looks like a plain cookie cutter truck. Not impressed with this unit.

I wonder what all the OEMs building on their chassis are thinking once they have to go to the bid table and see HME sitting in the room bidding against them.

Just another builder trying to fal into something using someone elses name, Ahren Fox, because they do not have a good enough product to market under their own name.

Forum Member

I can't believe the TYPICAL KNEEJERK REACTION of those those folks who are reacting to our kneejerk reactions. Take a breath!! It will be alright!!

Bookworm, I agree. Brands of fire apparatus seem to be like politics and religion...very emotional for some.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Thread Information