Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default "C'mon back"...beepbeepbeep..."C'mon back"...beepbeepbeep..."CRUNCH !!"

O.K. forum users, it's Friday and time to look on the light side of the job. Today I pose this question to you...What's the DUMBEST thing you've ever seen during your time in the emergency services?

One of my personal favorites is as follows:

A vollie whose day job was flagging for the state highway department was "assisting" one of our engineers back a rig into the station many moons ago. Literally it was "C'mon back"....beepbeepbeep....etc until the crunch!! Then after the rig had popped a hole in the wall he had the where-with-all to say "Good"! Good??? Ummmmmm...O.K.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i know several but can't think of any of them. other then we went to a control burn that got out of control right has a severe thunderstorm was coming in the area. i told a firefighter to get me a pike pole and he came back with an all metal pike pole. i quickly told him to get me the fiberglass one. i wasn't quite ready to experience the joy of being struck by lightening yet.

i'll post others as they come to mind.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would never think half this stuff is funny AT THE TIME....but after a couple of days of deep inner reflection and safety training you can get a couple of chuckles and some interesting nicknames....

After going to TQC our accident ratio kinda started climbing a little(I hope you know who doesn't hear that!)...We have backed over,into, around, and under several stationary objects.The only difference between SB500's gig and ours is that our apparatus does the "Caution,Vehicle Backing Up....Beep,Beep.... Caution, Vehicle Backing Up....Beep,Beep...."

Personally, I have never seen ANYTHING dumb happen on the streets in the commision of said duties as a preserver of the public safety....Only a debilitating LACK of good judgement.
    In my opinion, and with no offense to any Chief officers(Esp. Chief Reason), a majority of the stupid crud happens behind closed doors in that mythical place I like to call "Administration".

I have done it now....Standing By...
    Rob

"Well done is better than well said" - B. Franklin

I wouldn't call it "dumb", but it is funny!

A firefighter from a rural fd gets a job on an urban dept. They respond to a car fire. The fire was out, but the Captain wanted to check things out before returning. Cap turns to the rookie and tells him to "drop your tank" (meaning his SCBA) The rookie goes back to the engineer on the truck and tells him that the Captain said to drop the porta tank, then walks back to the car. Cap looks up and sees that the rookie is still wearing his SCBA and tells him again, "Go drop your tank". So the rookie goes back and tells the engineer the captain wants him to drop the portable tank! Finally the engineer walks up to the captain and asks what he's talking about! Needless to say, the rookie got some ribbing over that.

One of our guys had just gotten a leather lid and we were riding to a call in the jumpseats (open) of our second out engine. Well most of us put our lids on the engine compartment under the roof while putting on our masks, but he put his out farther and we had to make a sharp turn and we both watched his brand new N6A go creening into the bushes. The funny part was him begging the Lt, Dep, Chief, anybody to please go back and get his helmet. And we wouldnt leave or stop to look for it so we had to deal w/ what turned out to be a false alarm, ride back to the station and than he had to drive to the scene in his pov and than go treking through the woods on his own. We all waited patiently @ the station for him to come back, and busted out laughing b/c there was still leaves and pine needles all over it

needless to say he learned a lesson about being careful w/ his helmet.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Default didn't see it myself but..

One of my co-workers rides along in Chicago during his vacation. He was running ALSfor the day and was dispatched to a child with a diabetic emergency. They arrived and began to assess the patient and noticed he was covered with something sticky. They didn't pay any attention until the babysitter said that the child's mother left something ina tube to give him if he became lethargic. Everyone kinda looked at each other and tried not to laugh. The babysitter smeared the oral glucose all over his body thinking it was the right way to administer it.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

I once saw a "driver" back a 100ft Ladder Truck into the station..............with the ladder fully extended ....needless to say it doesn't fit!
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Talking

Probably the most embarassing thing i've done, left me hangin. We were finishing loading up hose after a structure fire, and i was climbing down from the hose bed. As i went to take my last step, the guy assiting me, yelled my name. Before i could stop, i ended up hanging off the side of the truck by my suspenders. Luckily not to many people saw me, but my friend was more than happy to tell the people who didn't.

This is not dumb but embarassing and it happened when I was a cop....We (police Dept) just got a brand new HQ with facilities to jail women (previously we took all women to the county jail) and as luck would have it I got to arrest and place into our new jail the very 1st female suspect (we have to call them suspects even though I saw her knock the dog crap out of her boyfriend) who happened to be having her monthly cycle. We'll we never considered what kind of products we would need on hand to support our unfortunate guest stuck in jail and in need of hygiene products...I make a quick call to the Sgt. and am advised to go to the store and buy enough supplies to last thru the year. At this point I am not very happy! I proceed to the Krogers where the PD has an account and fill a buggy full and I do mean full of panty liners and tampons. I then proceed to the check out counter where the hottest grocery clerk I have ever scene gives me a little smile and then looks and my basket and says something like "oh my God what in the hell are you going to do with these" I explain the situation, help quick bag my "groceries", and then load up the rear seat of my patrol car. Head off to the station and am met by every single guy on shift including the Det. who all help unload minus the one tampon tied to my rear view mirror....

MembersZone Subscriber truckman38's Avatar

about two years ago there was a firefighters day at the Metrodome(Minneapolis MN) for a MN Twins game. All of the local Depts. brought trucks down and set up displays before the game. One of the departments had sent their ladder truck over with a chief driving. turnrd out that on the way there they had laid down 500 ft. of 5in. supply line on the freeway. oops!
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

The dumbest thing I've ever seen is when a gun shop was on fire, the neighboring vfd we were helping showed up with their new truck minus the water.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I have seen alot of funny stuff in my 11 years on the job.....

My favorite, was when I was "reassigned" as a Training Officer in a different house, and there was a very young, "know it all", (read; Dip$hit)who wanted to run it all, and still be the best firefighter ever. In a Mask confidence drill, a quick set up 2 -3 room search type drill, there he was, in all his glory, making the search. flyying through the rooms with the greateast of ease, (he missed the "victim", ...always check the recliners!)the proudly proclaimed, "364 to Command, Firstary search in negative!"

..................Riggggghhhhh httttt. Whatta way to impress the troops!

He is still a dick
    FTM - PTB

Back at my vol. house we had a resident knuckle head. One day drilling he was supposed to be the guy guiding backup, well we had a basketball setup in our back lot, so while he is directing the rescue back while leaning on the pole he backs him right into the rim and doesn't even realize it unitl the bumper finaly hit the pole, needless to say the rim and pole both got bent. Same guy dragged 100 ft of 5in 12 blocks just doing a rig check. I am so sad to see him leave.
    the truth never hides for long

I can't seem to remember the funniest ones but here are a couple of fireground bloopers I've seen or done.
    How about putting your bunkers on to find out you forgot to pull out the suspenders. We have a fireman in another company up here that the MFRI instructors call Sunflower. He contiually puts his hood on with his face opening going down over his head first, this leaves the large opening looking like a flower with his face in the middle. I remember a car fire where the FF was running full out with the nozzle. Problem was we parked 120 feet away and pulled a 100 trash line. Has anyone else remembered the portable radio they left on the front bumper of the engine, (as your are pulling of the apron at 20 mph). I remember the look on the captains face when the rookie asks the captain "Whats up your *****" This was right after the call where everybody had to report to command so we could look for the lost rookie who couldn't be accounted for, after being told to stay with the engine. This same rookie pulls into the station well above the posted speed limit jumps out of his car and realizes his gear is still at the house. Or how about the guy who responds to the station on test night.
    Oh well like I said the best ones seem to escape me for now. Another Senior moment

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Talking

I love reading these things!

I have a couple that stick out in my memory. The Garage door incidents stick out the most! We were pulling our ladder truck out the door one day; and the driver can't see any higher than the top of the windshield; the ladder being 1 foot back from the front of the cab. So he kept right on going ripping the entire bay door, motor and decorative trim off the building. A second; Someone was backing an engine into the bays and did it with such perfection. The hall is on a slight grade, not noticible on foot; but a marble will easily roll. Of course; something had to go wrong.... The rig was left out of gear in Neutral. During the night it rolled forward and pushed the bay door out 2 feet, cracking the brick walls holding the door tracks. Another incident, a newbie backed a tanker into a 25lb extinguisher; giving everyone on the block a scare and spreading powder up to 50 feet away from impact point. A different incident; yet more funny than the others..... It was 3:17am, when we were dispatched for an ambulance call. We arrived to the station and were recalled as anoither rig finally got out to answer their call.
    We had a new emt who just joined and had a habbit of touching things.... The town was nice and quiet; everyone probably sleeping.
    The new guy sit on a stool and leans back pushing in the rest button for the Federal STH-10 fire siren. It reset the system, w/ no effect on the siren YET.... He heard the gears in the old box turn; and turned around and looks at the buttons lit up with three others flashing (Alert-Fire Swift rise & fall, Warning-weather slow drawn out rise & fall, Attack-air raid rise & straight high tone)
    It WAS set for Alert.. At once time there was a sticker that read "DO NOT SET TO ATTACK", There was a business card taped over do not...... Just as he pushed the attack button I heard the EMS Chief tell him to push reset and hold then push.....Then he yelled at the top of his lungs nearly.."PUSH RESET AGAIN NOW! NO NOT THAT ONE".....Too late. The ticker on the box stopped at 3:21am.....When the "Air Raid Attack" started..... For six minutes until we got the power shut off it rose to a high tone and stayed there.... The new guy is a new guy some place else now.... We told him to get the h*** out and he need not bother to come back... As we got a new one torn by the town citizens...

I was there...

We were holding a Road Traffic Accident drill one night at training, which involves as you know the huge fun of cutting a car into small pieces. One of our new guys needed the experience, so was given the spreaders and was told to make space. He was having a problem with the jaws getting a purchase on the door of the vehicle, so another of the guys began to point at where he should place them. Just as he pointed at the bit he wanted the jaws placing...yep, they began to close around his index finger, with the obvious result. Exercise suspended, call for an ambulance, and oh yes lots of paperwork for me as both the instructor and witness. Luckily the victim still has all his fingers
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information