Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Flashover site by Chief Vincent Dunn

This is just something I feel is worth passing on since a Brother was recently able to survive a flashover. At the site you find information that was written by Chief Vincent Dunn regarding flashover's and worth reading. www.workingfire.net/misc3.htm

GOD Bless FDNY and ALL of the lost Brother's and their families.

FTM, PTB, RFB

MembersZone Subscriber

Post flashover!!!!

Very interesting indeed. I gave this a quick read and it was very informative. I've never seen or experienced a flashover, and wouldn't want too, but this definetly opens my eyes to possible warning signs to look out for! thanks for the site!
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Maryland Engine 6 Ladder

Thumbs up The web site

The rest of that web site is really good. I found it very informative. Check it out!
    Visit the Firefighters Page at www.workingfire.net

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thumbs up Informative

Dave...shameless plug my friend....shameless

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Maryland Engine 6 Ladder

Smile I Know

I know it was a shameless plug. I want people to see the site. I am hoping for more people to add to my site. I want my site to have views other than mine. There is alot of info that people have. Who knows you just might teach someone something new.

So please if you have something to add just e-mail it to me. Thanks

David

ps. I do this site for free, out of the goodness of my heart. The site cost nothing to view.
    Visit the Firefighters Page at www.workingfire.net

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Dave...only kidding on the plug. Compliments on the site.

Default Flashover

Sir I am a Firie with the Australian Capital Territory Fire Brigade in Canberra, Australia. I am also a flashover training instructor for my Brigade. My responsibilities include delivering a theory session prior to conducting two practical "flashovers" in a purpose built facility. I agree with what you have said on your site. Flashover is THE critical point in a compartment fire.
    I have posted a response to Hammar in the meet and greet section of the forums which you may wish to read. It is very broad brush but as I said to Hammar you are welcome to our resources and training package if you want to include it in your web site. I'm not interested in recognition I am interested in keeping Firies alive. If you want the package we have contact me at mavandkellie@hotmail.com or post a response here.
    Just as an overview, and I don't mean to bore you but we teach that there are several indicators of impending flashover:
    movement of the neutral zone- when a compartment is involved in fire it usually becomes smoke logged depending on ventillation. However, as the pyrolised materials build up, a clear, positive pressure zone developes above the smoke causing the smoke layer to thin out. As such you have a clear positive pressure area, a strip of smoke then a clear negative pressure area underneath where oxygen is being drawn into the fire. Moral: beware even in a room that is not smoke logged and watch for changes in the smoke.
    second indicator is the lengthening flames and sparkles through the smoke and flammable gases. We call this the dancing angels. This is caused by air or oxygen that is entrained in the convection of the fire, but not consumed in the fire, mixing with the fire gases (volatiles) and combining within the explosive range. This is also an early indicator. You still have time to retreat or mitigate the situation by applying fog pulses at the ceiling in short bursts say 1 or 2 seconds each and note the effect.I recommend about a 60 degree cone as this gives you a bit of throw as well as alowing the water to readily turn to steam.
    the third indicator is a sudden darkening and thickening of the smoke. this is a late indicator.
    and finally there is an intense wave of heat immediately prior to the flashover itself. If you feel this and you cant apply water as stated you are in big trouble.
    We also teach that flashover is caused by a combination of heat radiated off the walls and ceiling and the inherent heat of the fire gas plume and smoke which heats via convection.
    another thing to watch for is uninvolved material rapidly smouldering or pyrolising. This indicates that the radiated heat is raising the temperature of all materials towards its auto ignition temperature (or fire point if you prefer).
    something for everyone to think about is the combustability of smoke. we all know that smoke is the products of incomplete combustion but rarely do we think of smoke as anything but a bi product and a respiritory hazard or an obsticle to rapid searches. But, if smoke consists of partially burned material then it stands to reason that in a flashover where temperatures are extreme the smoke itself will ignite.
    Hope some of this material is of some use to you. as i said if you want to look at our presentation you are most welcome to. and congratulations on a concise and informative site that will help keep Firies alive and fighting fires. Regards Mav.

JTL

Good Job. You get a Gold Medal and South Korea protests.

This is a really good site! Very informative!

Thread Information